.22 smoothbore

hellier0437

Yep seen them and shot them! but most have a barrel that is half an inch to short for a SGC

and I wouldnt use one on rabbits!

I have a 9mm myself,which I still wouldnt use on Rabbits,but for moving rats in places where you cant use a 410 its brilliant! cartridges are pricey but its not a gun I use very much ,so a box can last years,

they are a gun of limited use BUT in certain circumstances,they can do the job that other guns cant.

All the best Mick

The .22shotgun is pretty much useless i think, if you want a low powered shotgun then it would be the 9mm or possibly the .410

The .410 will take rabbits cleanly at around 25-30 yards, aslong as you are accurate with it. Personally i wouldnt use the 9mm for rabbits, i see it as a barn gun, for feral pigeon at closer range and rats

• 3 years later...

hi there theres plenty of choice on the . 22 smoothbore ammo scene. cc1 do a shell thats got a plastic cap on it theres federal carts that are crimped and remington do one as well . you couls fire a .22 lr in them but this is not advised a lot of people used to do this if they didnt have an fac. theres also some special cap and ball ammo you can get for these basicly just a primer cap with a lead ball on or you can get a conical type . rws and sellor and :devil:? cant remmeber how to spell the last name ive got them in the past via special order from my rfd through dynamite nobel. cci also do a great little round called bb and cb caps. guns are still out there if you look closley i have a single flobert action on sgc and i also used to have a ak47 clone on . 22 smoothbore on sgc but thats sold . looking for another if theres any out there . thanks johny

i had a smoothbore .22 a couple of years back and can honestly say they are nowt short of a waste of cabinet space.....the shot shells are no good on rats unless your close enough to slap it's ****... so useless for rabbits too....and shooting a .22 short or long case through it is so hit and miss as the bullet tumbles like hell... my advice low power air rifle

• 11 months later...

i have a winchester model 67 .22 smoothbore short and long rifle , old but nice little gun ,

anyone know anything abut this one , any value etc .

thanks

Darren

hi darren dont suppose you still have your .22 smooth bore.if you have i am interested in one.thanks, ratbeater.

Edited by Ratbeater

• 1 year later...

Yep seen them and shot them! but most have a barrel that is half an inch to short for a SGC

and I wouldnt use one on rabbits!

I have a 9mm myself,which I still wouldnt use on Rabbits,but for moving rats in places where you cant use a 410 its brilliant! cartridges are pricey but its not a gun I use very much ,so a box can last years,

they are a gun of limited use BUT in certain circumstances,they can do the job that other guns cant.

All the best Mick

They're good for rats mick, and I've shot a squirrel or two with mine.

This topic comes up all the time and I always say the same thing, I love the .22 smoothbore!! Use it indoors in storage sheds and barns and get LOTS of rats. 410 or 9mm is just too much in these areas and there is no chance to use an airgun so the .22 is perfect.

I have a couple and some are for sale if anyone is interested.

Edd

Unless you were touching the rat with the end off the barrel i dont think a No3 would do it any harm and for shooting a rabbit with the same gun you would be better hitting it with it

they were designed for gardeners shooting finches and birds in the garden stealing fruit

No3's kill rats alright, and squirrels at close range. The .22 shotty's though, not so good.

Owned an Anchutz .22 shotgun for years and found it to be a pretty useless gun, would not even kill a jackdaw sitting in a tree twenty feet above my head. I eventually handed it to the police as no one else wanted it and I was glad to see the back of it . My certificate had a condition that it was to be used with shot cartridges only.

We had a Remington pump action .22 smoothbore in Eire. About a 20 inch barrel and fine for rats in the feed sheds with CCI shotshells and I think RWS. It hardly damaged the feed sacks, paper in those days. No 12 shot. Pattern was about the size of a saucer but pretty thin. Took some getting used to but we were never short of targets.