Best Car Ive ever owned.

Fisherman Mike

I've had about 15 different cars in my 39 years of driving.

Fords, Vauxhalls, Rover, Land rover, Freelander, Renault, Honda, Peugeot, BMW, Audi and Mercedes..most have been leased company vehicles replaced every 2 years or so..

I bought this Subaru 18 months ago and its the most brilliant piece of Engineering and quite simply the best car I've ever driven...apart from a race prepped McLaren but that's another story..

Why because its the product of superb Japanese technology and engineering. The internal layout is basic and simple, with no gadgets, gismos, bells or whistles, just how I like it.

Should have bought one years ago..

The only other car that ever came close in terms of reliability, flexibility and sheer driving pleasure was the wifes Vitara...also Japanese and the Honda CRV, also Japanese. :yes:

I've treated it to a Christmas Valet ( £25 quid by the Latvians down the road ) and will probably buy another in the summer.

Fantastic motorcars. ( in my opinion )

This is the 2.0 litre model but the 1.5 litre power plant is equally as good and can be picked up for sensible money at the moment.

If your looking for a second hand 4X4 family estate in the new year you could do a whole lot worse than buy one of these

post-427-0-10382900-1419451162_thumb.jpg

I had a couple of Scooby Foresters as company cars (changed every 120,000 miles = c. 2.5 years), and they were probably the best shooting 4 x 4 that I have had. The very large sunroof was ideal for lamping/shooting out of.

I now have a Skoda Yeti with a large sunroof, and that is nearly as good, but does not have the very handy low ratio box. The only reason that I did not get a Forester as a retirement car was the lack of Subaru agents for servicing.

I had a Honda CRV, but I thought that frankly it was a bit of a lump.

The problem with this is we tend to only remember the good or bad things about the cars that we have had the one that I liked the most was way back a 1966 Vauxhall Cresta with a 3.3 engine and three speed columb change and that big bench seat in the front I only sold it as it used to much petrol for my pocket at the time it was just like this one.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Renault Clio Williams ...and I still have it. I think it is 20 years old now and still in mint shape.

They are worth a bit of money theese days.

Have had loads of cars over the years and my favourites are powerful audi qautros.

Have a 05 Subaru Forester 2.0XT that I bought other month, lovely car to drive and does exactly what's required

Renault Clio Williams ...and I still have it. I think it is 20 years old now and still in mint shape.

Close friend has owned a Spider for 15 years and he is the second owner, gets used twice a year but even now turns more heads than any modern sports car.

I have owned and driven a few good cars and truthfully the best is always the newest because they always improve them but the one car that instantly made me understand what surreal handling meant was an original shape MR2 I bought in 92, in its day nothing less than a Ferrari could follow it in a normal road without cutting every single corner to keep up. The only car that I literally used to go for a drive in for no other purpose than the thrill of driving.

I owned a Morris 1800, in the days when they were advanced motoring. Not rapid, but rock solid. Had it for three years. You don't get cars with this sort of room inside, nowadays. I remember putting a washing machine on the back seat - the door opening was large enough - even with the packaging still on.

I have owned cars which were far more costly, way faster and handled better. From kit cars, to Cosworths, to 4 x4s, to people carriers - we have had the lot.

We are on our 105th and 107th cars at the moment, but this is still my favourite.

This is a library picture.

post-3629-0-74385200-1419597583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

I owned a Morris 1800, in the days when they were advanced motoring. Not rapid, but rock solid. Had it for three years. You don't get cars with this sort of room inside, nowadays. I remember putting a washing machine on the back seat - the door opening was large enough - even with the packaging still on.

I have owned cars which were far more costly, way faster and handled better. From kit cars, to Cosworths, to 4 x4s, to people carriers - we have had the lot.

We are on our 105th and 107th cars at the moment, but this is still my favourite.

This is a library picture.

Lots of people tended to put them down calling them land crabs I have never owned one but I did drove one as a taxi for a while that was a the top of the range posh one I found it to be a nice cars to drive and they did have it for several years and had no real problems with it.

figgy - I think the Wolsley version was the 2.2 six cylinder. I had an Austin Princess wedge shape, with the 2.2. Nice motor, but twin carbs went out of tune within a couple of weeks of being balanced. It also ate alternators. I carried a spare one and could change it in the dark.

Had two Maxis - poor gear change and not as big. Quite advanced though, for the day - OHC transverse engine, 5 speed gear box, hatchback and hydrolastic suspension.