Sheath knife question on Japanese blades

Doc Holliday

With my birthday looming imminently, Mrs H had kindly offered to treat me to a weekend away. Instead, I had opted for a nice quality sheath knife. Something about 4 - 6 inches blade length with a nice bone/antler handle is what I had in mind.

I know the Japanese are renown for their blades, in particular Katana's, which go for a princely sum, but does this reputation transfer down to knives with foresaid blade length? I would need to know what ball park figure a Japanese blade would fetch and would they be worth the money.

If anyone has any experience of this I would be most grateful to learn it.

ATB,

Doc.

I probably will do at some stage, but no spare cash for shiny things at the moment. I was just wondering if I was going to have to sell my kids for medical experiments or donate a spare kidney.

Sorry BB but one or the other will not cut it you need to sell both kids and wife plus a kidney.

Couple of three hundred will see you a very nice blade.

With my birthday looming imminently, Mrs H had kindly offered to treat me to a weekend away. Instead, I had opted for a nice quality sheath knife. Something about 4 - 6 inches blade length with a nice bone/antler handle is what I had in mind.

I know the Japanese are renown for their blades, in particular Katana's, which go for a princely sum, but does this reputation transfer down to knives with foresaid blade length? I would need to know what ball park figure a Japanese blade would fetch and would they be worth the money.

If anyone has any experience of this I would be most grateful to learn it.

ATB,

Doc.

I have some Japanese edge tools, some modern, some very old. They are nice but the lamination does have its up and down sides.

Up side is a keen edge which is great if the quality really is there but a negative if you chip it as it takes longer to bring it back.

If you decide you want to go British, I have a Ray Mears/Alan Wood knife for sale in superb condition and with the best Curley Birch scales I've ever seen. As you probably know, Alan's knives are legendary.

Malc, I've always fancied a Damascus blade. Do they have the same up/downsides as Japanese laminated blades?

They are pretty but (to my knowledge) have no functional advantage over modern steels. The Japanese developed their folding and laminating techniques to get the best out of the materials and equipment they had available hundreds of years ago. In my opinion its similar to barrels. Damascus barrels were superseded by whitwoth fluid steel, now we have cryogenically treated super steels. New technology wins.

Edit - ah just re-read your qn! :blush: See you were asking about damascus vs japanese traditional rather than damascus vs modern..

Edited by theshootist

Nice looking knives Clakk. I like the shape of the top blade. Is there any advantage to one over the other when it comes to using it? As in one more suited for general use and the other more suited for gutted/skinning? I'd imagine the bottom one would be better for skinning but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I like the damascus steel also but is it more likely to chipping/breaking because of the differing steels/metals?

spot on doc bottom shape is a trad skinning profile ,the top is more a g.p blade.the multi folding makes a very very hard steel but is tempered to help stop brittleness.like any hard steel itl take more work to sharpen and regain shape if chipped ,but they look amazing .carbon steel holds its edge longer but theres something about the damascus pattern on a blade that makes it a want one kinda knife.to be fair theyl be used at home but no way hosey are they going in the ulloo with me.a bright orange 10 quid mora does the field cutting ,u lose that hay ho no worrys

full tang going all through the handle gives more leverage as the whole force is on the blade.if you have a half or semi tang blade some force exerted goes on the handle whatever its made from.also if you encase a partial tang in your handle then its some insulation from touching metal when its cold like now.when its minus 1 and theres snow on the ground metal to skin contact isnt wise.the basic thing is strength is length :lol::lol: <stop sniggering>.the smaller your length the less pressure itl take :whistling:

heres a couple i made earlier ,both hn51 damascus steel folded 200 times .i buy the blanks and make the handles from antler soaked through with rainproofer to stop the porus problem .nice thick blade holds an edge .

Are you sure you don't mean 200 layers?

Folding 200 times would give you about 1.6 x 10 to the power 60 layers!