Frustrating Last Day of the Year

pigeon controller

Started out as usual picking up DB , a good frost and a cloudy day. We drove out towards one of our rape fields and the farmer stopped us in the lane . The pigeons have been on my rape can you go and sort them out . So we drive down to the rape and find about one hundred in the trees , as we watch one drops in and they all start to follow. We decided to give it a go and walked them off the field set up and waited for them to return after about five minutes they all came back together flying high above the hide and decoys, we took a shot and they just left the area. We waited for twenty minuts nothing returned so we packed up. As we left the field the farmer caught us and we explained they just left the field . His reply was " It could be the rockets that I fire in the mornings to move them on , they never return"

We carried on looking and passed a few rape fields with small quantites of birds in the trees . We then found some on a block of rape of about sixty acres , we watched them for twenty minutes and the only birds joining were from the local woods . We are allowed to set up on this farm without contacting the farmer so we set up and waited. The birds had gone back to the woods when we were setting up so we waited for them to return. We waited and no birds decided to return so we put up some shots to move them and they just lifted as a flock out of the wood and went off in the wrong direction. We waited for them to return and nothing, my phone went and it was the farmer asking if we were shooting ,I told him the field and he said waste of time I spook them with rockets each day and they never return. It was now 12.30 and we had lost most of the day so we started looking again . We did not see one flightline at all but just found birds in trees or small groups on the rape. We did another ten miles and came to a rape field that we have never shot before which usually has a good number of gas guns on it , as we drove across the track on the one edge we lifted about one hundred birds. So we set up after texting the farmer. It was now 14.00 and very late to set up but the birds started to decoy from the time we switched on the magnet. and continued till about 15.00 when it slowed up and stopped and we had shot circa forty birds in an hour . Behind us were two large woods which we had seen birds roosting in the past and right on cue they started to come to the woods in large flocks . We are not allowed to shoot these roosts as they are on another farm , but another shooter started to shoot within the woods and pushed birds back to us some to decoy and some to fly over us not too high. We stopped shooting at 15.30 and picked up fiftyfive birds and to comply with JDogs and SteveG challenge I had my photo taken in my Christmas Jumper much to the disgust of DB and Blue the dog who would only stay with me when we gave him a bird to hold.

Can I wish the PW Massive a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year

f8551c99-0850-4fb7-bfdb-07dca7c5745c_zps