Browning Ultra XS Prestige Stock Cast Help!

UNiCAD

If you had the stock made adjustable, you could replace the adjustable comb part - with a wider section of wood. A piece from an old stock would suffice. The modern Browning adjustable stock has the comb part made of rubber, which does not match the rest of the stock, so visually it should look okay. That should give you whatever extra was needed.

Retain the unused comb to be put on the gun if you come to sell.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that Italian guns generally have more cast to start with than Brownings so an adjustable 692 could well work, but as someone above said, Nigel Teague is an expert stock bender (and a well regarded fitter too). He would be my choice in your position.

Chris Childerhouse shoots an Ultra XS and mounts the gun right out on the ball of his shoulder so it must be possible to solve your cast problem.

Taking a rest from casting your pearls of wisdom on Shootclays forum?

Unfortunately UNiCAD probably believes you especially when you tell him that you regularly hit 23-24/25. That's not quite true though is it?

From your CPSA registered scores for the current period you've shot at 450 DTL targets and hit 367. That's an average of 20.38 per round. You then go onto to say you've had lessons/gunfit with a few coaches over five years.

I'd say none of it has worked and you should be the last person doling out advice.

Well Philr I am sorry if I don't meet with your standards for offering advice, It's true my registered scores are not good,something i am working to try and improve. PErhaps one day I'll get into B class probably not, more likely i'll just stop shooting registered shoots but thats my choice.

UniCAD I'm sorry if i have offended you or Mr Beardsmore:

The original question was how to get more cast on your gun.

If you can't find someone to bend it the required amount, or don't want to take the risk of it snapping then there still some options

Cheapest I know is an adjustablebutt pad its not the ideal solution but will give you 5-6mm extra for ~£85+ fitting (if you're handy with a belt sander)

http://www.recoilsystems.com/adjustableRecoilPad/adjustable-recoil-pad.aspNO risk toyour stock

Custom Stock made to you and your measurements. There are stockers in italy with a very good reputation and can turn a stock round in a matter of days ( Essevierre ) these can start from around £500 ~(flights hotels etc) build it into a holiday perhaps? May work out cheaper than selling your XS and buying another gun. Similar stockers are all over the place. There are some threads on here and other forums from people who have been and had them made.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/237203-custom-made-shotgun-stocks/

Adjustable stock...PFS/Ergosign these cost £1000-1500 if i recall correctly but are only available for certain guns:

http://www.ergosign.com/EvoComp_30.html

http://www.alanrhone.com/products-pfs.html

PFS are available for Browning not sure on Ergosign. They do come up sale secondhand and while they might look a bit funny do offer huge adjustment and customisation.

GordonR I think suggested getting a standard stock being bent to the correct cast and then made adjustable, you may be lucky and find one with the correct cast and comb.

Buy another gun that can be adjusted or is already right for you.

Edited by HDAV

Sako - can I be clear - no-one is having a pop at Dave Beardsmore. I don't need the world and his wife telling me what a smashing lad Dave is - I accept that.

The OP has shelled out £100 and - if we are getting the full script - is no wiser about whether his gun can be made to fit, whether he can get any gun to fit and has no measurements to base his search on. Based on the few facts we have - I would not be happy. Is there anyone who would be happy?

Well Philr I am sorry if I don't meet with your standards for offering advice, It's true my registered scores are not good,something i am working to try and improve. PErhaps one day I'll get into B class probably not, more likely i'll just stop shooting registered shoots but thats my choice.

UniCAD I'm sorry if i have offended you or Mr Beardsmore:

The original question was how to get more cast on your gun.

If you can't find someone to bend it the required amount, or don't want to take the risk of it snapping then there still some options

Cheapest I know is an adjustablebutt pad its not the ideal solution but will give you 5-6mm extra for ~£85+ fitting (if you're handy with a belt sander)

http://www.recoilsystems.com/adjustableRecoilPad/adjustable-recoil-pad.aspNO risk toyour stock

Custom Stock made to you and your measurements. There are stockers in italy with a very good reputation and can turn a stock round in a matter of days ( Essevierre ) these can start from around £500 ~(flights hotels etc) build it into a holiday perhaps? May work out cheaper than selling your XS and buying another gun. Similar stockers are all over the place. There are some threads on here and other forums from people who have been and had them made.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/237203-custom-made-shotgun-stocks/

Adjustable stock...PFS/Ergosign these cost £1000-1500 if i recall correctly but are only available for certain guns:

http://www.ergosign.com/EvoComp_30.html

http://www.alanrhone.com/products-pfs.html

PFS are available for Browning not sure on Ergosign. They do come up sale secondhand and while they might look a bit funny do offer huge adjustment and customisation.

GordonR I think suggested getting a standard stock being bent to the correct cast and then made adjustable, you may be lucky and find one with the correct cast and comb.

Buy another gun that can be adjusted or is already right for you.

Sorry to add more to this thread but if you are giving suggestions your prices are way out, and I do not want the OP to get confused.

I posted fact on work I have had done in sweat box and also with stocks made in Italy on various guns. I also have an Evocomp, and depending on how much cast is needed the Evocomp might not be an option (either way, they are not cheap, £1800 before extras like orthopaedic grip) and cannot be fitted on all types of guns. If wide chested, that one is not a good option as it cannot get effective cast.

You do not get cast from just altering the butt pad left or right.

As I mentioned earlier you can effectively bend adjustable stocks in a sweat box without fear of breaking the stock. Especially as the OP thinks it needs only a small amount. This is a cheap, quick and effective option.

The OP is best placed to see an expert rather than Googled advice. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Nutcracker

Sako - can I be clear - no-one is having a pop at Dave Beardsmore. I don't need the world and his wife telling me what a smashing lad Dave is - I accept that.

The OP has shelled out £100 and - if we are getting the full script - is no wiser about whether his gun can be made to fit, whether he can get any gun to fit and has no measurements to base his search on. Based on the few facts we have - I would not be happy. Is there anyone who would be happy?

I would not be happy to me that is a lot of money, not been given any measurements i could take to someone. I thought gun fit was about having a tri gun altered, then you went out and tried it, first on a splatter plate then go bust some clays. Then be given my measurements to take away with me. ?.. this is just my view and other people may have other ideas.

I would not be happy to me that is a lot of money, not been given any measurements i could take to someone. I thought gun fit was about having a tri gun altered, then you went out and tried it, first on a splatter plate then go bust some clays. Then be given my measurements to take away with me. ?.. this is just my view and other people may have other ideas.

Good idea if you are experienced enough to have a perfect mount each time, but, I understood the OP to be newish to the sport. So still in the tricky learning period. It will all get sorted out in his own time. Dave has given him the good advice, a bit more cast, now he just needs to get it done and try it.

Once again by saying that Dave Beardsmore should have provided a set of measurements is 'slating' his credentials?Presumably he does not have a 'try gun' and probably doesn't need one as the OP's gun had an adjustable stock.He merely advised the OP that he needed more cast on his gun. Had the OP then asked for a set of measurements I am sure that Dave would have obliged, had the lesson been to determine dimensions for having a stock made.

One thing that I do find frustrating about this post are the people that seem to have the answer for everything on this subject, from gunfit to how many shots an individual might need at a pattern plate. My answer to these so called 'experts' .. Why aren't you writing in the shooting publications and sharing your wisdom and what have you won?!!

I`m quite surprised by people who think an adjustable comb is the answer to making a gun fit correctly ! It isn`t the same as having the correct cast,especially with regard to any eye dominance problems .

Edited by matone

Can we get this back on track please,

The OP simply asked a question about getting his stock altered and if anyone knew if/how it could be done,

Can we stick to that part of it please

:shaun:

Answer given already to original question as yes. Then answer given for sweat box experts as Ladbrook and Langton plus their website.

However in order to alter a stock you have to know what to tell the gunsmith. Hence advice to get some more help.

Hope that helps.