Defective brand new cartridge!

So purchased a slab of 250 shells from gunsmith in December and decanted them into a bag. Upon loading the auto whilst pigeon shooting, one shell felt odd.

I examined it to find the brass cap had been misformed under pressure and had escaped quality control.

Luckily I wasnt wearing gloves as I would have not felt the defect and fired the shell.

Emailed the Manufacturer informing them of the find-their response wasnt to say it couldn't possibly be a manufacturing error and the shell has sustained post factory damage.

The even stated it could have been run over by a fork lift-despite me stating the single box and the 250 cardboard outer box showed no signs of any damage (if there had been damage I would not have purchased the slab).

The discussion closed with the offer of a free cap displaying the makers name (err no thanks).

I wont name the maker but the shell was a 32g steel 4.

you might want to double check your stocks.

I'll try and add a pic added of the defective cap.

regards

f.

So purchased a slab of 250 shells from gunsmith in December and decanted them into a bag. Upon loading the auto whilst pigeon shooting, one shell felt odd.

I examined it to find the brass cap had been misformed under pressure and had escaped quality control.

Luckily I wasnt wearing gloves as I would have not felt the defect and fired the shell.

Emailed the Manufacturer informing them of the find-their response wasnt to say it couldn't possibly be a manufacturing error and the shell has sustained post factory damage.

The even stated it could have been run over by a fork lift-despite me stating the single box and the 250 cardboard outer box showed no signs of any damage (if there had been damage I would not have purchased the slab).

The discussion closed with the offer of a free cap displaying the makers name (err no thanks).

I wont name the maker but the shell was a 32g steel 4.

you might want to double check your stocks.

I'll try and add a pic added of the defective cap.

regards

f.

So you had one poor cartridge out of a 250 slab ???

they make around 10k an hour and get boxed on the machine so your bound to get the odd one or two ropey one. I know i do and i only make around 400 an hour give or take a few.

Any mass produced item will have the odd one sneak through QC you can only check so many .

Tonight I am busy making food for the nations cats , we will make around 1.6 million portions in the 12 hr shift it would be some going to inspect each one individually.

We average around 3 customer complaints per million which is world class .

And if your gun blows up in your hands you'd very understanding?

If theres one in a batch theres a good chance there'll be hence the post.

F.

There is nothing stopping people doing qc themselves , check each cartridge before use .

For me if it does not fit in the gun I chuck it , if it does go in its not likely to cause a issue even if its not perfect .

You cannot be that worried about people having a dangerous cartridge from the same batch as you do not even want to name the maker so people can check.

Any faulty cartridge is going to go the path of least resistance when fired IE up the barrel , which is why I say if it will go in the gun and the gun will close its not a issue , unless of course it has 3 or 4 time the correct load of powder , but how do we check for that ? if it does not go in the gun it is not a issue either.

Edited by fenboy

And if your gun blows up in your hands you'd very understanding?

If theres one in a batch theres a good chance there'll be hence the post.

F.

when i had one of my guns blow up in my hands on a driven days shooting i was very p**sed of as the cartridges i had been using for a long time and never had one miss shaped poor crimp until that day and i use to buy 30000 + a year of the cartridges in question. i even sent a load off to get tested and they came back out of proof.

And i still got not a lot of joy from the company ( a new gun and a few cartridges ) and the rest of the cartridges that i had in that batch was swooped but that was a good number of years ago so yes i have had it happen to me throw no fault of my own just a bit to much powder and the lack of Q/C checks.

when i had one of my guns blow up in my hands on a driven days shooting i was very p**sed of as the cartridges i had been using for a long time and never had one miss shaped poor crimp until that day and i use to buy 30000 + a year of the cartridges in question. i even sent a load off to get tested and they came back out of proof.

And i still got not a lot of joy from the company ( a new gun and a few cartridges ) and the rest of the cartridges that i had in that batch was swooped but that was a good number of years ago so yes i have had it happen to me throw no fault of my own just a bit to much powder and the lack of Q/C checks.

A unfortunate accident , but even so how can any manufacturer 100% QC check a cartridge for powder , it would mean cutting open each case which means they would make none , QC at best can only be a sample amount every set amount of time , we for instance check four per machine every 15 mins but make around 3.500 on each machine in that amount of time.

Ammunition only has to be tested and inspected to the rules of proof sampling requirements ,They give a maximum lot size of 500,000 out of that 30 have to be proof pressure tested and 315 are visually inspected for dimensions and faults.

That is the minimum that is legally required for proof anything more and it at the manufacturers discretion and their expense.

A unfortunate accident , but even so how can any manufacturer 100% QC check a cartridge for powder , it would mean cutting open each case which means they would make none , QC at best can only be a sample amount every set amount of time , we for instance check four per machine every 15 mins but make around 3.500 on each machine in that amount of time.

Thats true fenboy they can only do so much and as for miss shaped i think its down to the end user to check as they load there gun but one now and then is nothing really

I want to know what can go wrong with cat food!

Ok well as I am still beavering away making it I will give you a few examples :yes:

By far our most customer complaints are " My cat will not eat it " the cat may not eat it for a number of reasons , a tiny cut or puncture in the packet will allow air in and the product will go off is the biggest issue we have , but normally it is just a case of cats are fussy eaters by nature .

We also get several foriengn body complaints ( not that sort of foriengn body ) these usually are in the form of plastic as we have metal detectors that remove most metal objects , having said that someone did complain they founsd a £2 coin in a packet , I would be happy to have found it as the catfood is only worth around 50p so they were onto a winner :lol:

Most plastic comes in the raw ingredients we use rather than from us directly.