Purchasing Advice - Night Vision

Kes

Evening all,

I shall be buying a new NV setup for a .17 Hornet later this month, (or maybe at the GB shooting Show in Feb). There are several possibles but anyone's advice would be appreciated. I have asked and obtained good advice from NV forum on NV versus thermal imaging. I have looked at all the ads, all the types and still there are no easy answers.

I have three contenders, assuming I go with NV rather than TI (much more expensive and less detail (quarry id)). Add ons seem to need easy parallax adjustment for focus at varying distances - having it and easy to operate for a RH shooter seems a must. Lots of Ir illumination possibly too.

Digital does not benefit from more than about 5X but its possible to extend that to 10X with a doubler but this seems to lose a bit of definition.

My contenders are ATN x-sight /578 etc, or a drone pro with doubler (latest colour day version). or pulsar 850? Many advised the last time that Archer were really effective but add ons? I also intend to buy an NM800 plus 3 pills - red, white and IR, in support and in case I have to resort to normal scope.

This is some of the advice I have received.

There are 3 main parameters to consider when thinking about thermal rifle scopes (or spotters)

1. Sensor resolution - number of pixels in the sensor
160x120 is low, 384x288 is the current normal, 640x480 is the best currently available for non military use, and, in my opinion, is just about good enough for fox and rabbits with a 17 Hornet

2. Refresh rate - the speed at which the image on the screen is updated
9Hz is low (and produces jerky images, 30 Hz and upwards is fine

3. Objective lens size - the lenses are made from germanium rather than glass and are very expensive, so units with larger diameter lenses are signifcantly more expensive than the same unit with a smaller lens. However, bigger lenses increase the effective magnification allowing clearer images of small targets - minimum usable for our purposes is 38mm, 50mm is good and anything bigger is better.

Thermal spotters and scopes made in the USA are subject to ITAR regulations and the Armasight Zeuss models which might be considered usable for our purposes will not be exported by Armasight
You can buy thermal riflescopes, made in Canada and sold in the UK with 640x480 pixels, 50 hz refresh rate and 50/75/100mm lenses but they cost anywhere between £11K and £14K

Lower resolution sensors and smaller lenses are much more acceptable in thermal spotter (you're not trying to aim at the target - just be able to say it's there or not)
Currently the best value for money thermal spotter is the Pulsar HD38s - and it costs approx £2800
Best practice at the moment seems to be: spot with thermal - shoot with NV

As regards a choice of NV kit, I can only comment on digital equipment - I have virtually no experience with tubed equipment.
Having said that, lots of people are very enthusiastic about the Armasight drone pro - and it's generally regarded as the best digital NV unit available at the moment and has x10 fixed magnification
A new model is coming out in the next few weeks which has some significant improvements over the existing model, so if you decide to go down the drone pro road, I suggest you hang on until the new model arrives
I can confirm that it is very good indeed.
Obviously the drone pro is a dedicated sight which is aimed mainly at NV use, but with the new colour camera version will have improved daylight capbability - but still won't produce a daylight image as good as a traditional scope
Obviously an add-on has the advantage of retaining your day scope and being able to use it's variable magnification, but there is a significant loss of light through the scope and combined with the small diameter exit pupil at high magnifications, add-ons generally need a lot of IR to work well.
However, they are significantly cheaper than dedicated NV sights
The best 2 add-ons at the moment are the Nite-Tek NT300 and the Ward-D-Vision 700

Any thoughts ?

Mods - this a modified quote from another forum (hence background) if this is against the rules, please delete the post, as without it I am just asking for help without qualifying what I have researched. Thanks

A lot depends on budget. The Drone Pro looks to be an excellent but of kit. I own an X-Sight and am happy with it for my 223 out to max 200yds.

I paid £649 for my 5-18 X-Sight, and the Drone Pro is double that, but I'd have gone Drone Pro if I had he money for it.

Thanks - This is a one-off purchase and whilst I dont have TI prices, I dont have to buy a good scope in addition, so I'm throwing that cash in too.

al4x sometimes dusk and dawn as light breaks but more often in the late evening with caller and lamp (atm). I'd guess 10/10/80 so more often than not its the lamp.

With that you can probably put up with the lower performance digital day and night scope. If you did more daytime then an add on makes sense

Hi Kes if you deal with clive ward you will get **** customer service,

the drone pro is a great piece of kit with good customer service,

and any help needed is available from Carl moore.

atb brian

2nd that re Mr Ward. The asterix should read NO customer service.

His products may be excellent but I never had chance to find out. Just didn't arive.

If it's of any use, I use an basic grade Archer and its all most cheating compared to lamping.

If you were looking at the X-Sight, give it a couple of days as a new firmware update is due out any time now. It'll fix the issues that users are experiencing apparently, such as flickering in night mode, reticle not centred after zeroing and reticle display on videos.

They are also hinting at adding bullet drop compensation into this update and are working on an external battery pack.

As I said before, very happy with mine, definitely worth a look at, you can always try Scott Country's demo unit should you wish.

You will however need a good IR light, like most of the units. I'm using a NM800 which works very well. A T50 or T67 would probably do the job very well too.

I have a N750A on my .243 with a NM800 IR and I am very happy with it.. I can see foxes out to 400 + yards though I dont shoot them that far out. 250 yards is no problem for the kit (just the shooter who has technical difficulties).

To be fair I havent had direct hands on experience of other units so cant really say which is best, just happy with my unit.

I also agree with the previous comments about Clive Ward, steer well clear, useless.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...