Well done Essex Police!

Boogie

My shotgun certificate is due to expire in early March. I recently applied for a renewal with Fire Arm Certificate application to run co-terminus. Knowing there are pretty long lead times for both applications and renewals I should have sent the forms off back in October or November, however due to 'being busy' I only sent them off in early January. So I was getting a little anxious that my shotgun licence would not be renewed in time. Yesterday I recieved a letter from Essex Police including a temporary permit under Section 7 of the Firearms Act granting a 2 month extension. So no need to phone or write to them, or to transfer my guns to a friends licence. I appreciate that they may be struggling to keep up with demand and that there are therefore delays in granting and renewing licences for lots of us, but I think the proactive approach they have shown by sending this extension without me even asking deserves praise. Thank you Essex Police.

I had a car insurance policy like this once. They just kept issuing cover notes. They went bankrupt eventually, A right state. Some people had paid their policies up and the brokers hadn't paid the money forward and the people didn't have any insurance cover. It sounds like the police are in a right state. Kent police said on the tv the other night that things wee so bad that there could be a situation of melt down if they have to apply the proposed cuts. Could be that their pushbike and side car might have to be sold. Perhaps we could all be living with section 7 tickets untill way into the forseeable future.

Whilst good of Essex Police to be sending out Section 7 tickets without prompting I understood you cannot buy cartridges etc. by showing just a temp cert.

Hopefully, for those involved, I've got it wrong.

That's my understanding - Sect 7 permit is to cover possession of guns and ammunition, not to buy...

Whilst good of Essex Police to be sending out Section 7 tickets without prompting I understood you cannot buy cartridges etc. by showing just a temp cert.

Hopefully, for those involved, I've got it wrong.

I also am in Essex and on 21st Feb received a temp permit !!!!!

Whilst good who's paying the bill for extra post and the printing of these documents and if they send out another permit when it expires more costs will apply to the tax payer no doubt or us Cert holders.........

I am pretty sure you can buy cartridges why not its proof you have a certificate ??? Someone advise please........but not any guns as they cannot be transferred to a licence !

Edited by blasterjudd

Not at all.

I accept there have been delays , but BASC has been working with them at a constabulary level and on a cases by case basis to try and help our members.

There is a bit of a backlog, but rather than just leaving people without a certificate they are doing what I think is a sensible thing and issuing temp permits and putting in resources to catch up with the renewals etc.

They have turned a corner and things will get very much better very soon, and BASC will be keeping in touch with them on a regular basis to make sure this positive momentun is kept up

David

I have just done my renewal and it tells you on the guidance notes that you can send in a signed and dated photocopy of your current certificate.

That's what I was advised to do and then just send in my old cert when I get the new one through,my renewal was handed in on 26/11/14 and expires 27/03/15.I have just learnt however that they have lost it along with my photo copy of licence,denied I handed it in at 1st but I showed them a bank statement where the £50 cheque was cashed on 03/12/14.I now only have under 3 weeks to get another application completed and sent in lol.

I think the reason other forces are issuing temp certs rather than S7's,is that the issue of a S7 is an admission of not meeting stats and timescales and goes as a bad mark against that licencing authority performance wise.The temp cert may not have the same impact although issued for the very same reason.At least with a temp cert I am led to beleive you can purchase carts( correct me if I am wrong) where as S7 you can do diddly sqit.God knows what will happen with me re a S7 as my original renewal was sent in well in advance and I just got a shrug of shoulders when I went in last,didn't seem overly concerned or bothered was my impression.

That's what I was advised to do and then just send in my old cert when I get the new one through,my renewal was handed in on 26/11/14 and expires 27/03/15.I have just learnt however that they have lost it along with my photo copy of licence,denied I handed it in at 1st but I showed them a bank statement where the £50 cheque was cashed on 03/12/14.I now only have under 3 weeks to get another application completed and sent in lol.

I think the reason other forces are issuing temp certs rather than S7's,is that the issue of a S7 is an admission of not meeting stats and timescales and goes as a bad mark against that licencing authority performance wise.The temp cert may not have the same impact although issued for the very same reason.At least with a temp cert I am led to beleive you can purchase carts( correct me if I am wrong) where as S7 you can do diddly sqit.God knows what will happen with me re a S7 as my original renewal was sent in well in advance and I just got a shrug of shoulders when I went in last,didn't seem overly concerned or bothered was my impression.

I always send mine in by special delivery so if anything gets lost I have a signature to show when it was received. At the very least it would give a stronger argument should they try to say it was a late application.

I always send mine in by special delivery so if anything gets lost I have a signature to show when it was received. At the very least it would give a stronger argument should they try to say it was a late application.

I handed it in person because I had to call in to get a new FAC as I ran out of space for bullets.Thinking back now I wish I had posted the renewal in recorded.