problem with new to me gun

hodge911

hi I need a bit of advice please all..

on Saturday I bought a S/H brno .22rf bolt action rifle from my local rfd as a second .22rf so I can leave the photon on one and a normal scope on the other for daytime lamping use .

well I have just been up the farm with the rifle and a target board to zero the scope I put on .

so load the mag [ 5 shot] and set the board at 50mtrs and took aim at the target in the centre of the meter square board five shots not hit board but my mate noticed that the rounds were hitting the ground about 20 mtrs in front of me adjust scope up a few clicks and try again impact the same place few more clicks the same keep adjusting scope up but point of impact did not change even when the scope fully adjusted .

so thinking I have bought a duffer with a bent barrel I readjust the turret to mid point and remove the moderator bring the target into 30mtrs and try again ........first 3 rounds touching but a bit low and to the right .

adjust a few clicks up and a couple of clicks over and bang on so moved back to 50mtrs and bang on apart from a wee bit low so 2 clicks up and bang on next 5 rounds all just about touching .

screw mod back on and its back to hitting the ground about 25 mtrs away from me take mod off and back on target

tried a different mod on and still a mile low rounds are clipping mods .....

so do I have any legal right to take it back or because it is a cheap [but very clean] £75 rifle is it a tuff sort it myself outcome .

have not been in touch with rfd yet as I have just got back in from farm and the rfd is closed

Take it back it can't be the crown if it shoots straight with out the moderator

Either the moderator or the screw cutting.

Try another moderator if you can it could be the moderator, but I expect the shoulder is out of square it will need re cutting to be fit for purpose.

tried 2 different mods on it both had rounds clip them

than tried both mods on my ruger which i have had for years and know it inside out and both mods performed fine on that no clipping

For how cheap you got it keep it. You eliminated a dodgy mod so get it stewed properly and proofed.

am i correct thinking i only need get it re-proofed if i sell it on but dont need to if keeping it

Edited by hodge911

Nothing wrong with the rifle - just a poor threading job. Get it done by a good smith, I would get it shortened at the same time.

Pat your self on the back for getting a great little rifle at a bargain price. In the mean time shoot it without the mod.

Not sure about the law. Think you would still be in pocket.

Zx10mike, no more dangerous than errr a zx10!

I agree with U as I had a 2006 zx10r in green (still miss it) only thing more scary was my wife when see caught me looking at things on the Internet that I shouldn't of been.......

Tedly

Ps, get your minds out of the gutter pigeon watch massive........

I agree with U as I had a 2006 zx10r in green (still miss it) only thing more scary was my wife when see caught me looking at things on the Internet that I shouldn't of been.......

Tedly

Ps, get your minds out of the gutter pigeon watch massive........

:-) ;-)

I miss my falco, my ss750 and oh stop it. Am crying now.

That's a great result, particularly when it comes back totally cured.

I've got a mod on mine that makes it group like a shotgun if its not done up tight! Absolutely spot-on if it is.

I know that is the threads in the mod for sure. It seems very loose until its screwed right up.

GH

Back in the day when a rifle was threaded you fitted the moderator to the gun as with the Parker Hale moderators which was about all you got [ assuming we are talking .22 ] they often needed a bit of tweaking no matter how good the screw cutting was . Probably just needs the shoulder truing . I am of course guessing it was not factory threaded .

Edited by Gunman

right o peeps first of all :good::good::good: Bradford stalker birtley :good::good::good: that's where I bought the rifle from and from the minuet I took it back in to tell them about the fault they have been great .

got the rifle back yesterday all done and dusted re-cut threads re-crowned and reblued at their cost.

took to the farm this afternoon and its bang on

the picture is the actual targets used with the range next to them but by the time I got back to 75 meters the wind had picked up a bit .

the distances are as measured with a 100mtr tape measure [removed from a meter square target board and stuck onto card for pic to be taken] targets are 2" dia shoot n see

post-12398-0-87498700-1425844703_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911

Don't think it is the crown if it was it would give shotgun effect. Holes all over the place as bullet would spin not go in straight line as you say it is dropping low check the mod.

Don't think it is the crown if it was it would give shotgun effect. Holes all over the place as bullet would spin not go in straight line as you say it is dropping low check the mod.

all sorted now mate was the threads were out making the rounds clip the mod