Durham Renewal - Medical Report

Alex C

Hi.

My SGC runs out in the middle of July so thought it prudent to get it submitted ASAP. There is a bit in the renewal now that i cant remember having to do last time. I need to take a form off to my doctor and have them sign something then they are supposed to send in a report to the licensing department.

Now if i read this right, other than ticking the box to say i dont mind the police contacting my doctor i am not legally obliged to jump through this extra hoop.

Question is, has anyone been brave enough to not have this report done ? The adivce section says it may be delayed if i dont do this ? What do you guys reckon, traipse down to the Docs and pay for a report or submit without ?

Opinions Welcome

Cheers

David, they're also still adding an extra page asking for the details of any land the applicant may shoot over and/or the signature of the club secretary if they are a shooting club member.

This has been happening for far too long by any standards, I know you keep saying BASC are talking to Durham but it's obvious they're not taking any notice at all and are still just doing whatever they want to.

It is up to you it says on the net that it may speed up you application my mate never did one he went on a section and it took 9 month to process me I bought a new gun a month after I put in my application I DID do the Dr bit and mine took 4.5 month we applied at the same time I needed my licence back quickly as I had 2 grand held up in a new gun if I never I would have just waited as not a LEGAL requirement

Edited by psycho

When I went in to pick up forms as I had no printer,and they where very reluctant to give me them.They (or rather she a Licencing supervisor she said was her title ) said the med form was now passed by the home office( not). However for my sins mind was sent in 26/11/14 expires in a few weeks 27/03/15, they said they don't have it(was handed in in person on 26/11/14 ) odd the cheque was cashed on 03/12/14.So have to fill in all again with about 5 was before expires,asked about sec 7, got a shrug of shoulders.

NGO advice is NOT to comply. If you're a member then take the persons name and or title, inform the NGO and they will have a nice chat with them about making non-statutory requirements to applicants.

I like the 'it may be delayed' bit. :) If a timeframe existed in which applications are turned round it may mean something, but until there is, it means diddlysquat.

Just nipping out for some popcorn.

It would be my view that unless and until this ad hockery is challenged through the court, it will only continue and expand, I would love to know what climate of negotiations with Durham ensures no action on their part has been achieved in maybe 6 months? Isnt it possible and now perhaps advisable for the practice to be challenged by judicial review ?

I could imagine Durham 'bottling' that after the drubbing they received following the investigation. Perhaps our shooting orgs will consider a joint challenge - I am sure they collectively have sufficient funds set aside ?

I have been informed that Mike Barton The Chief Constable wants Durham to be the toughest licencing authority in the country. After the Horden shootings and his officers caught selling guns he has to show he is clamping down hard. If you have no reason to own, are unfit or be aquainted to undesirable persons you probably won't get a licence. I personally would just go along with their demands to ensure you get a licence, then you can get out and enjoy your shooting. Its a case of put up and shut up.

I have been informed that Mike Barton The Chief Constable wants Durham to be the toughest licencing authority in the country. After the Horden shootings and his officers caught selling guns he has to show he is clamping down hard. If you have no reason to own, are unfit or be aquainted to undesirable persons you probably won't get a licence. I personally would just go along with their demands to ensure you get a licence, then you can get out and enjoy your shooting. Its a case of put up and shut up.

Where does that leave the right to own a shotgun and a right to reasonably expect to be entrusted with a firearm, not to mention those areas of the country keen to toughen their restrictions if Durham gets away with their stupidity.

Its not as if Durham can succeed with the perilously poor admin they suffer from (apparently).

Sorry big 5 that is not acceptable to just go along with their demands, where will you draw the line? It gives them authority to do as they please what happens if mr Barton thinks a licence should only last a year? ".....

No it is time the shooting organisation do what we pay them for and took a case to court the Durham police chief constable cannot make up the law only enforce it.

Yeah, that's the ticket; just comply with any old carp they choose to throw at us. At least we'd save some money on organisation subscriptions as there'd be no need to join if we all did as suggested above. There's always an upside. :)

Scully's point is a very good one, simply complying with daft demands will not help you organisation(s) fighting your corner. As Scully says, if the licencing team put pressure on you complying with demands which are not required then get the details of the person involved and tell your orgnisation

Start looking for a new hobby or past time bud,because if we all don't stick together I can see a total ban within 10 yrs the way things are going and maybe long before that if another government get in.

Complying with daft demands will not help you organisation(s) fighting your corner. If the licencing team put pressure on you complying with demands which are not required then get the details of the person involved and tell your orgnisation

:good: Off to a party in Timperley to get plastered(which will take about two pints of Guinness as I don't drink) See you all tomorrow. Be good and play nice. :)

:good: Off to a party in Timperley to get plastered(which will take about two pints of Guinness as I don't drink) See you all tomorrow. Be good and play nice. :)

Enjoy yourself.

I've just had a difference of opinion with a power company who decided I could live in two places at once and had failed 3 times to delete my last house from my 'account'.

Maybe I should be thankful I get electricty and not complain?

£400 due back with a letter of apology.

What makes Durham special ?

Dont you pay for a service from them?

Edited by jimmydean

I feel the same way most replies have gone. Tell them to poke it. However when someone says it took a mate 9 months to get a renewal through it puts me off and makes me think i should just trot along to the doctors. Every fibre of me doesnt want to do it, but the hassle of having to keep my guns elsewhere for 3 or 4 months may out weigh it.

A second question now -

On the forms where you had to declare the land you shoot over and get signatures, i asumed that was only for firearms ? Or do i need to pop down to the clay club and get them to fill that in ?

Cheers

Those signature requirements are not part of the official Home Office issued form 201, all form 201 asks is that you provide details of land and/or the club you are a member of.

You do not have to get the landowner or club secretary to complete the additional page that Durham have attached to the form.

Edited by phaedra1106

When I went in to pick up forms as I had no printer,and they where very reluctant to give me them.They (or rather she a Licencing supervisor she said was her title ) said the med form was now passed by the home office( not). However for my sins mind was sent in 26/11/14 expires in a few weeks 27/03/15, they said they don't have it(was handed in in person on 26/11/14 ) odd the cheque was cashed on 03/12/14.So have to fill in all again with about 5 was before expires,asked about sec 7, got a shrug of shoulders.

You can show that you have handed in the forms (they have cashed the cheque, and they only do that once they have checked the form). As such, you are in a very good position to INSIST on them issuing a S7 if you have to re-apply, as the delay can be shown to be due to their negligence.

I'd write to them, explaining as such, and copying in the Chief Constable. Explain to them that as time is of the essence, then if a S.7 is not forthcoming (as is your right, check and quote the HO handbook appropriate section, to show you know the law), then if you have to lodge your firearms with an RFD, then you will be applying to the Court to be awarded any fees to be refunded by the police.

Some forces, unfortunately, need a a good kicking in a courtroom. Until that happens, they will carry on riding roughshod over anyone's rights that they don't agree with.

Edited by robbiep

So i do have to give details of where i shoot ?

I shoot a small Wednesday night league and ocasionally pop down to a clay club, but i am not a member of anywhere as such, no membership card or anything like that.

I can understand doing this for rifles as the land needs to be cleared, but for shotguns used mainly for clays ? I cant remember doing this last time

The more people that comply with these unofficial and unnecessary requirements, the harder it will be for BASC to put a stop to these practices, its as simple as that.

So please take our advice.

If you are a member and have problems then get us involved.

as a member of both basc and cpsa I would like to know how many people have contacted basc for help with this and what was the outcome did they get their renewal through in time .i believe that durham in particular have been asking for this report for well over a year now and show no sign of stopping when will all our organisations get together and take this matter to court.it cant be that you would lose as they are clearly acting unlawfully.so it may even be that your costs would be awarded against the police.

as a member of both basc and cpsa I would like to know how many people have contacted basc for help with this and what was the outcome did they get their renewal through in time .i believe that durham in particular have been asking for this report for well over a year now and show no sign of stopping when will all our organisations get together and take this matter to court.it cant be that you would lose as they are clearly acting unlawfully.so it may even be that your costs would be awarded against the police.

Unfortunately, if they request (rather than demand) the form, and state that not returning the additional forms might (rather than will) delay the grant, renewal, etc. then there is nothing that they can be taken to court over.

So i do have to give details of where i shoot ?

I shoot a small Wednesday night league and ocasionally pop down to a clay club, but i am not a member of anywhere as such, no membership card or anything like that.

I can understand doing this for rifles as the land needs to be cleared, but for shotguns used mainly for clays ? I cant remember doing this last time

As someone else has said : No. You do not have to give them details of where you shoot, or any membership details, or anything.For SGC is it up to them to show that you are NOT a suitable person.