lawn mower death

Paddy Galore!

the wife's lawnmower has died, we need a new one, I was thinking self propelled to save trailing a lead outside (she's a clumsy cow) and prevent accidental wire choppage. are those cheaper brands like einhell worth a punt? some have a briggs engine. My old hayter has a briggs engine, but it's a push along one and a tad heavy for the wife, I was thinking of putting it on ebay and spunk the return on a new but cheap mower.

what do those in the know reckon?

cheers,

Paddy

Checkout Aldi Paddy .. they had self propelled on sale for £179.00. Briggs and Stratton engine ... Honda are better but for the dosh .. worth a punt!

I shall do a drive by on the way home, some of the mountfields have Honda engines, I've just noticed a few on ebay, i'm sort of tempted but I really don't want 2nd hand, I tend to find i'm buying into someone else's problems

Least with Aldi there is a no quibbles guarantee ... B&S motors are okay as are Tecumseh (though no longer made, l recall?) ... All are reasonably reliable for household users. Main problem tends to be crud blocking carb jets "won't idle" .. this is were an ultrasound cleaner is worth its weight in gold ... 4 strole mowers need an annual oil change and filters changing .. other than resharpening the blades " l just put an edge on it using a whizzer" .. there no much that goes wrong ..

The difference between a cheap mower and a more expensive one is generally the rigidity of the frame coupled with the quality of the wheels and the way they are attached. The cheaper mowers tend to have engines that are a bit smaller than would be ideal.

or you could just tamper with it, I remember years ago my neighbour had trouble with his, we ended up removing the stupid flappy throttle actuator thingumy and rigged the throttle cable directly to the carb, went like stink after that :lol:

Have a look for oleo mac there italain I have a semi pro one 6.5hp engine well built 3 year warranty 20inch cut for £290 new there mowers are price competitive and I use it for 2 days a week from march to october 9 hour days and have my one a year last week and still going strong and nothing broken

Edited by littlerob

There isnt a lot in the motors .. one makes 5hp is not a million miles quality wise from another ... look at them all, the carbs are mostly manufactured in China. The main source of problem will be the carb, secondly the ignition "coil/pickup etc" ... in the dark world of mowers, its a bit like the air rifle brigade .. the BSA mob, the Weihrauch, the Daystate etc, it equates to the Briggs & Stratton mob vs the Honda mob vs the Tecumseh mob. The yanks have state vs state warfare over mower engine ... the Briggs and Stratton massive beat up the Tecumseh mob ... l went on one of the sites trying to find a schematic drawing to sort out a problem l had "Tecumseh" .. The Briggs and Stratton red necks went ape lol ... the words limey buck toothed faggot were mentioned .. it turned out the american engine manufacturer had their european engine made in Italy lol "good solid engine" just needed a couple of bits ... yep, its a dog eat dog world, amongst the american small engine lawn mower fraternity ...

Had my Honda over 15 years and its still going strong-bought it second hand and used to have it serviced by a Honda dealer every year but when the bill went over £80 each time I decided to do it myself-no problems to date other than dirt in the carb over winter-quick turn of the drain screw and she starts first time every time all season-would buy another tommorow if this one exploded.

Hi guys, and thanks for all the advice. I got one today, an Atco, with a b&s 150cc 675 series motor, they didn't have any in aldi or lidl, and th einhell would've taken a while to come via post. good ol ben burgers did me a nice deal on it, filled it with oil and fuel too :good:

on top of that I found out they sell aspen too :yahoo:

Now then, who wants a cheap repairable hayter harrier?