FINALLY ..... i got a day on the beans !!!

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

now then ,

Well after a very busy few weeks , what with helping out in evenings drilling beans ect , and fixing pheasant pens /making new feeders / clearing out spinneys blah blah . I finally got chance for a day shooting , so I spent Sunday afternoon having a scout about , I couldnt find much and the beans that we drilled the week before had been very quite ,I decided to have a look anyway , so I grabbed my flask and sat on the side of the field prepared for a long wait , Now the beans have still got another week before they start to show signs of chitting , and there was nothing to speak of on top ,

However it was not long before I started to see a fairly decent line into the very top of the field, in total its 110 acres , with a long wood at one end and Hawthorne around the other sides , so there was plenty of cover ( which made a nice change ) so with that in mind and the fact I was gagging to get a day out in the field , .

So bank holday Monday morning around 7.45am I got the field where I had seen the birds coming in . Got set up along one of the sides on some Hawthorne , I had a couple of shots but noticed the birds where coming in on a slightly different line .. So a kwik pack up and move . set up again and started to have a good morning with birds decoying fairly well , However .. hahai after a few hrs things changed yet again . I could see a much more productive line building up at the very bottom , on other side of a hedge, it seemed to be a load of crows pilling in , Well me being a total sucker for a spot of crow bashing, I thought sod it ,so yet another pack up and off I went marching down the filed , I down there set up with a roof over the top of the hide and about 8 crow decoys just slightly to my left , and so I sat and waited . And waited.. nothing , and then as if buy magic pigeons started to show some interest , so I pulled all but 2 crow decoys in , and the magnet went out . then as the sun started to show its face , I got swamped by blooming flies , and as I had a roof in the hide they seemed to get trapped inside with me haha , and sooo yet another hide change , off came the roof , and I just made a low budget hide with a bit of stealth net and some DPM , worked a treat .

The birds were coming in from all angles , the wind had dropped right off from the stiff wind in the morning to dead calm , it didnt seem to really matter anyway ,

I ended up a total of 98 birds

The next thing is to apologise to you all for what can only described as a senior moment .

I had the cam set of bloody SLOW- MOTION for the whole morning and did not notice unitll I set up in the afternoon haha what a plonker .

So what I have done is mix the clips up , else it will be pain full to sit at watch the morning in slow motion ,

Your soon get the idea

Enjoy

ps if you change your Youtbe settings you can view it in HD 1080

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

I would also add that in hindsight I should have taken my over and under. All I seemed to do in the afternoon mainly was change chokes. As birds were at all ranges and from all directions . I love my semi auto but What I would have given for two chokes and a selectable trigger. Oh well still a great day.

Guest stevo

Thanks lads.

Yeah I like a bit of slow motion . But I had to dump about ten clips. any more than I have put in the video would have been painfull to watch haha

Edited by stevo

Guest stevo

A good bag Stevo, I watched the video on youtube at work last night (don't tell the boss)

I did wonder what was going on with the hide / choke changes and thought there was a unusual amount of slow mo for your videos :lol:

yeah I know mate to be honest I messed the video up IMO , schoolboy errors and all that , the afternoon session so to speak was a bit of a pain , I was getting so many different birds from all directions , what with no wind the birds just went random , one min I was getting a few long range birds , then a few on my doorstep, and so on . I just could't seem to pick a good choke on the day , as you know I favour a full choke , but inside 20 yrds it was just smashing the birds , like I said I should have took the O/U lots more choices then .

still loved every min of it .

yeah I know mate to be honest I messed the video up IMO , schoolboy errors and all that , the afternoon session so to speak was a bit of a pain , I was getting so many different birds from all directions , what with no wind the birds just went random , one min I was getting a few long range birds , then a few on my doorstep, and so on . I just could't seem to pick a good choke on the day , as you know I favour a full choke , but inside 20 yrds it was just smashing the birds , like I said I should have took the O/U lots more choices then .

still loved every min of it .

Normally if I am using a full choke I just shoot the heads on any that are too close :whistling:

Guest stevo

Normally if I am using a full choke I just shoot the heads on any that are too close :whistling:

I was going for the head , but I think I may have been over come with " buck fever "

Guest stevo

Hi Stevo what type of cocking handle have you got on your gun.

It's the cocking handle from a beretta 1301 competition

Nice one mate, good shooting as usual, keep up the good work! :good:

Thank you buddy