Hares

Morning all.

Was out a few nights ago on a rabbit perm I have and all I saw were Hares. No shots fired that night. I know they are allowed to be shot. And was wondering what peoples thoughts/opinions on it are? I have always thought there was quite a low population around me but I seem to be seeing more and more recently.

Although we don't like doing it we had no choice to thin ours out last year as there was that many sitting out in the fields.We had a lot of visits from the long legged dog lads due to the hares being visible.Shot 20 over 2 weeks at the end of Harvest,left a bad taste but farmers instruction and if I didn't do it there's plenty that will.

We still have a healthy stock so we will monitor them and thin out as required.

Edited by Davyo

Yes the numbers are coming up a bit which is nice to see as a few years ago there were hardly any about and a hare running at full pace is poetry in motion :)

On my permissions there are not that many so I personally don't shoot them but if the numbers came up substantially that would be another matter.

We were doing a vermin drive last year and a hare did come towards the line of guns and one of the guns took it....My lad who was 10 picked it up and it was nearly as big as him....

Edited by prem1234

Although we don't like doing it we had no choice to thin ours out last year as there was that many sitting out in the fields.We had a lot of visits from the long legged dog lads due to the hares being visible.Shot 20 over 2 weeks at the end of Harvest,left a bad taste but farmers instruction and if I didn't do it there's plenty that will.

We still have a healthy stock so we will monitor them and thin out as required.

I could shoot 20 a night, easily!

At harvest they were running under the tractors around the combine in the lights, mad

Do you have a season for them in England?We have Oct 31-Jan 1st and i think thats a great idea and should have been introduced way before it did.

Probably the most hares i have seen for over 20 years although i have seen the damage they can do too.

Dont think there is a season no, there allowed to be shot all year, thats if the basc card i have is upto date

leave them they are hammered enough by long dogs. if you get up early and watch them as the light comes up you would not want to shoot them. on some of the ground I have there are a few but they do no damage and I like to watch them when stalking as do most landowners. if you did want to take one wait till later in the year

Guest stevo

They can be shot all year but cannot be sold between 1st of March and 31st July , personally I would like to see a closed season for those times , there are plenty of months when Hares can be controlled when they are not nursing young.

+1

I love seeing hares but one of my permissions has shed loads and they do a fair bit of damage so he wanted them shot. Shot around 30 last year and now he is happy.

Ultimately if I didnt shoot them I wouldnt have the permission. Fortunately I have hares on some of my other permissions where the owners dont want them shot so I can just watch them which is great.

I don't shoot them now and the shoots I go on don't. I did use to go on the end of season hare shoots quite a few years ago but would not accept any invite to shoot them now. I do think the numbers are picking up again now but they did seem to go in decline for quite some time.