Briggs & stratton 13HP..problem

ditchman

Im more of a desiel man not a petrol one..........i look after this Countax Briggs &stratton 13hp ride on mower for this bloke...it was running sweet as a nut last year.....but now it is running rough...starts well but runs rough......

have taken the tank off cleaned and replaced everything and inline filter....carb off and properly cleaned...(i have the correct wire files for the jets)

new spec' plug...and correct gap on the coil/flywheel................still runs rough...ticks over reasonably well (not perfect) spits and pops at higher revs

.............i now reckon the ignition coil is on the way out.............what do you reckon...?..............need a bit of feedback before i shell out £ 40.00 for a new one......

cheers

ditch

Im more of a desiel man not a petrol one..........i look after this Countax Briggs &stratton 13hp ride on mower for this bloke...it was running sweet as a nut last year.....but now it is running rough...starts well but runs rough......

have taken the tank off cleaned and replaced everything and inline filter....carb off and properly cleaned...(i have the correct wire files for the jets)

new spec' plug...and correct gap on the coil/flywheel................still runs rough...ticks over reasonably well (not perfect) spits and pops at higher revs

.............i now reckon the ignition coil is on the way out.............what do you reckon...?..............need a bit of feedback before i shell out £ 40.00 for a new one......

cheers

ditch

I had the same problem with my 16hp Countax last year (it's getting on a bit now). Turned out to be the air filter, looked clean to the eye, but obviously was not, replaced it, and away it went.

done all o0f that....new plug...clean air filter valves are fine.....................................ive ordered up a new coil so i will let you know the out come.........................

....one thing i did notice is when i was testing the spark...it was blue for the first 3 or 4 times then went orange !....still rekons it is the coil tho

sounds like it's breaking down under pressure, fuel and air flow are sorted, probably coil.

thats what i thought "breaking down"....

do these have points and condensers if so points could be closed or condenser on the way out .

no points unfortunatly.....i have an old Tecumsa as a spare for my old Acto 24" it has points and is a great engine...the Countax im mending has a "mag" (contactless breaker)...pick up bolted next to the flywheel....

Is the govener spring tension good?

If it has a secondary butterfly for the governor and it is flapping it will run rough.

Also check the float bowl needle valve can hold back a tank of fuel. If not it will be flooding some making it run rich. Is the plug a good colure or as black as a crows very black thing?

good call on the guv' spring..............i fitted the new coil and it is running a lot better.......so i tension the guv' spring and it improved as well....its about as good as i can get it now.....................it will now go back to its owner so he can sell it

cheers you boys

ditch

Remove the flywheel and clean the rust and crud off it and the mag. Set the air gap between flywheel and mag then try it :good: They get rusted up standing over winter.

Make a nice racer :lol:

funny you should say that.................got a call from Lewis Hamilton.....wants to know who much....!

Make sure the flywheel is clean from rust for the coil pick up

That's what I just said :lol: You really need to remove it though and check inside (and clean the dead spiders out) and to clean the mag. Then set the air gap which is critical (ish)

That's what I just said :lol: You really need to remove it though and check inside (and clean the dead spiders out) and to clean the mag. Then set the air gap which is critical (ish)

its all done air gap to 10thou...(.25mm)..................going on e-bay next week.............