Single or double barrel shooting pigeon

geoffwales

I would be very surprised if many shoot a single barrel by choice , by their very nature pigeons can be shot in numbers so you would be at a distinct disadvantage with a single barrel , you would also suffer more from the recoil during a busy session.

A mate of mine who had a lot of diffewring guns used to shoot a single sometimes. He is a very good shot and perhaps he looked on it as a bit of a challenge. picked his birds coming in and had reloaded for a second on the way out. always seemed to have a good day.

I use single barrel 410,only reason is i like 410 the most and single barrel is what i started with and mostly stuck with.theres no advantage to it at all a double 12 is a far better tool but i enjoy the challenge.It definately makes you pick your shots better knowing you dont have that second shot.Its the same with airguns i still only use a break barrel with iron sights aswell,i had a 10 shot pcp and while it was a good tool it took a lot of skill and challenge out of the shooting so i got rid.keeping it simple has a beauty all of its own.

I used to use a single barrelled BSA "Snipe" I think it was called. Made a few decent bags with it.

Better off using a double gun.

BSA "Snipe". That brings back memories. I bought one off of a mate when I was at school for a tenner. Long time ago. It was a very basic single ejector and the fore end was held by a bit of wire like a spring loaded loop that sort of went over center to put tension on the lump to hold it in place. I think that there was a small rod that came out of the action to indicate that it was loaded. I shot some good roosting pigeon with it that were zooming in over the wood on the wind in the dusk. I traded it in with a Webley DELUXE ( had chequering) B/A 410, an Original mod 35 22 air rifle, a 410 silencer and a webley 177 air pistol AND some cash for my first Brand new sbs 12 NE Laurona. A long time ago. Still got the 410 cartridge belt & cleaning kit.

Edited by fortune

I used to use a single barrelled BSA "Snipe" I think it was called. Made a few decent bags with it.

Better off using a double gun.

The first gun I ever bought was a single 12b Webley and Scott from Darlows in Norwich in 63 for about £17 new , the B S A Snipe came out a year or two later and I think it was a bit cheaper at around £15 , although I didn't think they looked as nice or as strong as the Webley and Scott .

fortune and marsh man you're showing your age buoys! :lol:

I had a girlfriend at the time who's father was a farm manager. He was manic about pigeons eating his good work. There were guns all over the farm. In the tractors, sheds, barns etc. everywhere. All perfectly legal at the time of course. :)

The farm also provided free cartridges and boyfriends of his four daughters were expected to put some time in. Wheat and barley was the main crop, some sugar beet. Rape wasn't invented in those days!

There was a "dip" on one field which was a hotspot when it laid. We put hessian sacks up for a hide and sat on last years bales. The rule was that you'd need to come back with more pigeons than cartridges fired.

So we did. We'd stand up and clap and then pull the trigger and pick up. It was a pest control job. Fond memories of the BSA Snipe. :yes:

Edited by Whitebridges

My single 12 bore Webley goes out a few times a year .. the Webley .410 goes out much more frequent. I've also recently bought one of those, three tap, singles barrel 12 bores .. original question asked for preferrence, so! .. it would "at the moment" be my Beretta semi auto. Its opened my eyes, pigeon shooting wise.

Edited by hoggysreels

The first gun I ever bought was a single 12b Webley and Scott from Darlows in Norwich in 63 for about £17 new , the B S A Snipe came out a year or two later and I think it was a bit cheaper at around £15 , although I didn't think they looked as nice or as strong as the Webley and Scott .

Oh, how I remember the winter of 62/63.

Shot hundreds of pigeons over the green crops we were growing at the time with my old single W&S. AS the snow sunk and the tops started to show they were like a magnet for the pigeons. We stood in the fields without the need for a hide as they were so hungry. That little gun earned it's keep that winter.