copper shot not coated just pure copper shot cartridges

Guest cookoff013

Actually guns are proofed to pressures not for "steel".

Even though the fleur de lyse is stated for HP steel.

Actually is safe for HP any shot type. Such as tungsten or sinter or tin or bismuf or anything. The proofing is for pressure.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to BASC today and copper is fine to use for waterfowl - obviously it has to be all copper and not copper plated lead!

It has a hardness of just under 9 so is in between lead and steel and according to blurb I have read on the net from cartridge manufacturers who make copper shells it will flatten on impact and is safe in all chokes.

This would seem to be a viable non toxic alternative although data would have to be proofed for it...............................

Tempting

Copper is just as bad a lead when it comes to poisoning . Moraly if you except that Lead kills ducks then there can be no reason to use copper. If fact it may be more dangerious to people than birds.

Quote from wilkpedia “ lethal ( 1.300 parts per million ) concentrations of copper on fish and other creatures is damage to gills, liver, kidneys and breeding behaviour.”

Abstract

Copper can induce acute and chronic intoxications in humans. Copper in tap water has caused a series of severe systemic diseases in Germany in recent years (copper induced liver cirrhosis). Besides cirrhosis, another type of disease with predominantly gastrointestinal symptoms has occurred which likewise appeared to be induced by copper in tap water. - In a retrospective investigation we looked for additional indications and proof that chronic copper poisoning has been the cause of the observed gastrointestinal diseases. All patients suffering from this type of disease had copper plumbing in their houses. - The patients (children and adults) suffered from nausea, vomiting, colic, and diarrhoea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10383875

http://www.arltma.com/Articles/CopperToxDoc.htm

28g 70mm data is not the sort of data I was thinking of but maybe more like 42g in a 3" case doing 1500 fps.

The fact that it could be used through full chokes makes it a much better alternative to steel

if i could get 10kg to try i would really like to play about with it and see what it will do and how it preforms

Copper is just as bad a lead when it comes to poisoning . Moraly if you except that Lead kills ducks then there can be no reason to use copper. If fact it may be more dangerious to people than birds.

Quote from wilkpedia “ lethal ( 1.300 parts per million ) concentrations of copper on fish and other creatures is damage to gills, liver, kidneys and breeding behaviour.”

Abstract

Copper can induce acute and chronic intoxications in humans. Copper in tap water has caused a series of severe systemic diseases in Germany in recent years (copper induced liver cirrhosis). Besides cirrhosis, another type of disease with predominantly gastrointestinal symptoms has occurred which likewise appeared to be induced by copper in tap water. - In a retrospective investigation we looked for additional indications and proof that chronic copper poisoning has been the cause of the observed gastrointestinal diseases. All patients suffering from this type of disease had copper plumbing in their houses. - The patients (children and adults) suffered from nausea, vomiting, colic, and diarrhoea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10383875

http://www.arltma.com/Articles/CopperToxDoc.htm

what are your thoughts about sausages and bacon??

Brett no copper pipes are not acceptable and god only knows why they are still being fitted when research clearly shows they are not good for human health in acid water areas. read the links.

So... that explains all of the deaths every year due to copper water pipes then!

Oh, wait...

It's all down to the water flow through the pipe. Low flow and the water has more time to absorb more copper, and in time can get way past the legal limit. Domestic flow is usually high enough not to cause a problem. However it might be a good idea to flush your drinking water after long periods of no demand.

Now talking of toxic heavy metals, what about tungsten, nasty stuff, carcinogenic etc. Perhaps not to Duck, but to the shooter??? What about plastic wads, I'm old enough to remember the first plastic wads and the manufacturers feeding them to live stock apparently without ill effect.

Is this shooting's death by a thousand cuts?

Sorry about the rant !

It's all down to the water flow through the pipe. Low flow and the water has more time to absorb more copper, and in time can get way past the legal limit. Domestic flow is usually high enough not to cause a problem. However it might be a good idea to flush your drinking water after long periods of no demand.

Now talking of toxic heavy metals, what about tungsten, nasty stuff, carcinogenic etc. Perhaps not to Duck, but to the shooter??? What about plastic wads, I'm old enough to remember the first plastic wads and the manufacturers feeding them to live stock apparently without ill effect.

Is this shooting's death by a thousand cuts?

Sorry about the rant !

I thought it was only thoriated tungsten that was carcinogenic?