Semi auto ejection flames?

voodoo2762

Ey up

So i was out on the crows today (full video to come) and while taking one i noticed a flash from the breach. Got home and looked back at the footage to see pretty considerable flames. Should this be something to be worried about? Sorry if the videos bad quality ive thrown it up on my phone.

Cheers

Voodoo

Edited by voodoo2762

Guest rimotu66

Flipping eck, no need to pluck your nose hairs for a day or two. Agree with Milo, that does not look like powder burn but I have never seen anything like that before, had you recently cleaned/oiled it?

Flipping eck, no need to pluck your nose hairs for a day or two. Agree with Milo, that does not look like powder burn but I have never seen anything like that before, had you recently cleaned/oiled it?

I know i thought it was strange hence sharing it, and yeah clean it after every use ive put thousands of cartridges through it and always clean it the same never seen it do this before though.

Cheers

Voodoo

Guest rimotu66

Not sure about oil as the flame is very clean, what do you clean it with, solvent? As Milo said, it does look like a gas flame but unsure what could cause that.

Edited by rimotu66

I will happen nearly everytime you fire the gun . But you only notice it on the last shot as the receiver is left open and does not return . Therefore your seeing the flame as the shell is being ejected . Its 100% normal . You will always notice it more with slow burning powders . Semi auto rimfires can also do it .

Chill out and enjoy

Atb stevo

Edited by stevo

Guest rimotu66

I will happen nearly everytime you fire the gun . But you only notice it on the last shot as the receiver is left open and does not return . Therefore your seeing the flame as the shell is being ejected . Its 100% normal . You will always notice it more with slow burning powders . Semi auto rimfires can also do it .

Chill out and enjoy

Atb stevo

I stand corrected, apologies if I put the weebies up you voodoo. :good:

Nothing to worry about as stated. I've seen this happen with cartridges that have been poorly stored, where powder was ending up inside the gun, and it made me wonder if another cause of this might not be unburnt powder combusting whilst the action is cycling back.

I disagree. Never seen a flame of that sort out of any semi I have ever used. Something akin to sparks of late-burning powder flicking out, yes, but even in the dark never a big gaseous flame of the sort in the video.

Disagree all you like , its still perfectly normal :yes:

Guest rimotu66

Hey no worries mucker . Its a bit odd the first time you see it . But your soon get used to it .

Stevo

:good: I have never seen this on any of the semi's I have owned (currently SX3) having said that my eyes are usually closed :lol:

Guest rimotu66

It's fine. Happens all the time. You don't see the flames come out the muzzle till the lights go out but they are always there!

GH

I wonder if my neighbours would mind if I went out in the garden and let a few off :lol:

Heavy cartridges have a slower burning propellant, ( to reduce the recoil) in the cold an amount of propellant is not/maybe not ignited.

Keep your cartridges warm and dry, maybe this will stop/reduce this effect.

When it is really cold and damp I keep a hand warmer in my cartridge bag.

As said, perfectly normal (on gas guns anyway, might be a bit more worried if it happened with an inertia gun as that might mean the timing is off on the locking lug).

I caught a good one in slow-mo with my PSG gun when i was testing magazines for a jamming problem;

http://youtu.be/7KarH3T_Ro0

EDIT: Ah i give up, can never get Youtube videos to imbed properly on here!!

Edited by Breastman