PPI claims, anyone recommend a company?

nick_c

Can I ask why you believe this?

I've been using them for years for identity theft protection purposes and it hasn't affected my credit 'score' in the slightest. Applying for credit too regularly would affect your score as a pattern of regular credit application searches would be viewed negatively but checking your own credit report is not viewed the same way and those type of searches are not shared with lenders. Penalising customers for using their services doesn't strike me as being a particularly viable long-term business model.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/2013/08/16/the-effect-on-credit-scores-when-you-check-your-own-credit-report/

https://help.equifax.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136/~/common-negative-credit-score-reasons

Well It seems I have been misinformed, I was always led to believe that each time you checked your credit rating it actually affected it negatively.

NorfolkAYA - you may have bought it unwittingly ie if you've had a loan for a car it could have been built into monthly payments but the most likely is banking arrangements or mortgages. With the latter it was often a condition which might have determined whether you got the loan or not. As mentioned earlier you can download the enquiry form which you. Can send off to credit card companies or bank/ building society etc and they are duty bound to respond.

Seems to be a very common misconception, so you're far from alone :good:

Sorry Martyn I got it wrong, Mrs dougy has put me right. It's when folks see how much they can borrow for mortgages and they try umpteen different methods. Each time they apply it leaves a footprint, which she says can affect your credit rating. A little more to it but that's the short of it. Specially with my texting ability with my thumb.

Another recommendation to do it yourself (providing you can remember which company you had the load/credit card etc with!). Natwest sent me a claim form without me even asking for it and paid up straight away, and Northern Rock paid up pretty sharpish too. Had a bit of a struggle with Egg/Canada Square Operations in that i had to go to the Ombudsman but fingers crossed they should be paying up by the end of next week. Don't give up if they try to fob you off!

I find it incredible that 1) so many people took out PPI 2) that they didn't know it 3) the amounts that are being refunded.

I've had the odd credit card/loan/mortgage in my life but always managed to tick the 'I don't want PPI" box. Am I the only one?

at the risk of being pokey :whistling: anyone who can claim PPI should be made to walk round with MUG inked on their forehead for a month :lol: , i cant claim anything because i wasn't gullible in the first place so always said no or checked to make sure it wasn't being added in and now its being worn like a badge of honer "i got £5000, £7000, £11,000 :yahoo: " etc etc no you were mugged off :no: and now by a stroke of luck you can claim it back :oops:

anyway i am not bitter :good:

Yeah there aren't many 8% 'investments' on this level of money, you must be gutted

I assume that is the interest that you have received? Is that 8% per annum or over the term (since you took out the PPI)? If the former then that's incredible. If the latter then probably nothing spectacular.

I find it incredible that 1) so many people took out PPI 2) that they didn't know it 3) the amounts that are being refunded.

I've had the odd credit card/loan/mortgage in my life but always managed to tick the 'I don't want PPI" box. Am I the only one?

In principal I agree with you, doing a few sums in your head would soon tell you it was very poor value for money but you'd have to have known and understood the terms and their implications.

Having said that even I gave in about 15 years ago when the Natwest girl was all but begging me to take it and I felt embarrassed and took it knowing it was for a very short period. I haven't got the time or inclination to claim though plus I think it was too long ago.

AVB,,,

I would have been one of tbe 1st to climb to the highest mountain around and shout at the top of my "I HAVE NOT PAID PPI"

But actually I had been doing so for 18 years from the time I applied for a mortgage.

What you obviously fail to understand is the reason that PPI compensation is being paid, has been the way that it was sold, thats if "sold" is the correct word. In my case as many many more it was explained in such a way that it was insurance taken out on a mortgage for any illness etc and would cover me if I was unable to pay due to not earning. Not being offered any alternative to there in-house insurance was the reason for the successful claim.

I don't believe I ever specifically bought PPI but wonder if it was bundled up into packages services I had through so called premium banking from Nat West. I recently got paid out a small sum from Credit Card Protection which was virtually automated. Makes me wonder if I should "claim" against Nat West and let them do the leg work to see if it was "hidden" within their services. Give the thousands I have paid them in fees over the years may be worth checking. Anyone had similar?

Years ago it was all miss selling from payment protection to personal pension plans.The so called independent financial advisors of this world steering you to an unbelievable package where they reaped the rewards for signing you up?Not interested in your finances but purely their own.When you got finance be it for a washing machine or a car there was always, 'you better take this out heaven forbid you fall off work!' They don't do it anymore other than trying to push 'gap insurance'.