New 20b Purchase

Paul T

Well, I've gone and done it!

I happened to be passing a gun shop today (well 15 mins out of my way, ha!) and they just happened to have this new Cogswell & Harrison on the shelf in 20b with 30" tubes.

By pure coincidence I had my cert with me and a fistful of twenties. Well, there were just too many coincidences to ignore, so I thought I'd better have it!

So, for you 20b gents, what's the best to stuff it with? Shop only had 24g #5s, but I'd normally shoot #6s in a 12b on pheasants and partridge?

I'm assuming it's the o/u model unless you had over £50k worth of 20's on you :)

I was 2 twenties short so made do with the o/u!

Correct on cartridge weight - I'm looking at 26-28g as an absolute max, but the main issue was the gun is over 2lbs lighter than my old 12g claybuster.

Pellet wise, individual No 5's will kill to 60 yards, No 6 to 50 yards, No 6.5 to 45 yards and 7 to 40 yards.

At 24g I would recommend 7's if you want up to 40 yard penetration and pattern for pheasant, partridge or pigeons.

If you can get hold of them RC 20 SIPE fibre in 7it (UK 6.5ish) in 26g are one of my mates favourites but a little punchy for a very light gun.

Paul

Have been using 28g rc in a fibre wad for last 3 seasons. My father only uses pure gold and my brother only uses the black gold in his 20 think they are all could cartridges but just finding one that works best for you and your gun

Cheers - I've heard elsewhere the RC Sipe are pretty popular (thanks also to Stonepark) so I'll look them up. Black Gold are good, but I'm a tight Yorkshireman! Hull's Imperial Game have done me well for a few seasons now in 12g, but I probably need the High Pheasant 20...?

I use lyvale express 24g 6's for most things, I think anything over 25g defeats the object of using a 20g

+1, though to be fair to the others, the traditional "high brass" load for a 20 gauge did contain an ounce of shot, so it was always intended for use with cartridges up to that size.

To put that idea further into it's historical context, shooting an ounce from a 20 is effectively the same as shooting 36gr (1¼oz) loads out of a 12 gauge (for which the "low brass" load was 1 1/8oz).

Edited by neutron619