223 reloading?

Do any of the PW members reload .223? I already reload for shotgun, but its a new calibre for me and am looking at the options for reloading without breaking the bank! Does any one use the Lee Loader? Seems a good entry point? Any advice would be very welcome including components and case trimming, sizing etc.

Many thanks

T33

Yes, I reload for 223.

I've got a Lee press and other bits (50th Anniversary kit comes in a lot cheaper than buying all the bits separately), I case trim using the Case length gauge cutter and lock stud, on a cordless drill.

I use Federal Champion primers, H4895 powder, and Hornady 52gr Amax or Hornady 52gr Match bullets.

A good 223 load that seems to work quite will in most rifles we have used it in, is winchester case cci br primer 27 grains of varget ( if you can find any) under a 50 grain v max . I think its a good starting point any way, and where i would start working up a load.

I use Federal Champion primers, H4895 powder, and Hornady 52gr Amax or Hornady 52gr Match bullets.

How do you find 4895 with a 52? I use 4895 but with 55 Sierra bthp gameking #1390 I get 3400fps. it is a hot load. The impact /shock load is so great with this loading that it has never failed to take a target out even out to 300. Normal range 50 - 100. I wonder if using 4895 might be a bit slow burning on a 52?

A good 223 load that seems to work quite will in most rifles we have used it in, is winchester case cci br primer 27 grains of varget ( if you can find any) under a 50 grain v max . I think its a good starting point any way, and where i would start working up a load.

I think the op needs to start a bit lower than 27grs, that's near on max load and compressed!

How do you find 4895 with a 52? I use 4895 but with 55 Sierra bthp gameking #1390 I get 3400fps. it is a hot load. The impact /shock load is so great with this loading that it has never failed to take a target out even out to 300. Normal range 50 - 100. I wonder if using 4895 might be a bit slow burning on a 52?

I keep it a little bit slow. 25.0 grains is about 3150fps, and it groups absolutely perfectly for me - just seems to be a sweet spot.

The first question is what are you going to use it for? Second question is why do you want to reload? If its just to save money don't bother, for foxes just buy privi, if you are a target shooter buy from Ammozone or NRA. Ammozone sell .223/5.56 ammo from £34 /100. GGG is partricularly good.

If you still want to get onto youtube

Do you know Ian? A very useful person to know in your neck of the woods. Best prices around

http://www.itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/

or Andy, another very useful person to know, he will sort you out with the reloading etc

http://www.tfsa.co.uk/

Edited by Vince Green

as already been mentioned viht 133 is a very good choice for the 223 with bullets weights from 40 to 60

a lap case and a rem 7/12 primer should see you right.first thing you should get is a reloading manual too help you get your head around it ,you tube is very helpful too.one thing i would say is not to use a load that is posted on line always work up from a manual and you will be fine

as already been mentioned viht 133 is a very good choice for the 223 with bullets weights from 40 to 60

a lap case and a rem 7/12 primer should see you right.first thing you should get is a reloading manual too help you get your head around it ,you tube is very helpful too.one thing i would say is not to use a load that is posted on line always work up from a manual and you will be fine

Definitely! espesially when you are starting

Interested in this too as now shooting a .223 but for hunting use, I can't see any real benefits for re-loading. Out of interest, to work up a reasonably decent target round of between 55 and 65gr, what sort of costs would reloading land you at per say 100 rounds?

Interested in this too as now shooting a .223 but for hunting use, I can't see any real benefits for re-loading. Out of interest, to work up a reasonably decent target round of between 55 and 65gr, what sort of costs would reloading land you at per say 100 rounds?

It costs 41pence round to reload against £1.15 factory rounds

At less than half the price for a consistent/tailored round that's suitable for the rifle/use combo, seems ok to me. Looks like all the reloading scenarios. it can be done cheaply and effectively, or you can become obsessive and its un economic. But in all cases, reloading for me is a hobby in itself, is fun to do and the end result can be very satisfying. :yes:

It all depends on your rifle.

PPU FMJ is nice and cheap (50p a shot in 223, roughly), but in my rifle it gives 4" groups. RWS GECO (similar price) police ammo gives 1" groups, but is incredibly hard to get hold of. All others seem to knock on towards £1 per shot.

Reloading, it costs me something like 39p per round for A-max (which I use for fox) or Match. Accuracy is comparable to the RWS, with the weakest link being the Mk.1 human on the trigger.

In addition, I've never got worries about ammunition availability. A 500g tub of powder gives me 300 rounds, and as soon as I open my last tub I make sure to get one in stock for future use. Same with primers, I buy 1000 at a time, and when I get down to 300 I buy another 1000. A-max and Match bullets I can order by post.

Thanks Ribbiep

Looks like reloading's worth it for the mixed shooting needs I have and the amount I get through annually. Rifle has 24 inch barrel; 1/12" twist. I'm considering just using the bullets towards the heavier end of what can be stabilised with that twist, so around 60 to 65gr would be the realistic limit to keep velocities sensible as it'll be used for target as well as vermin control. Tried PPU but the shotgun would have grouped tighter. Have some Hornady FMJ training rounds to try for punching paper (£16/100) and considering A-max for vermin in a similar weight. Considering the Lee anniversary kit and upgrading things like scales as and when funds permit.

Edited by Savhmr

Thanks Ribbiep

Looks like reloading's worth it for the mixed shooting needs I have and the amount I get through annually. Rifle has 24 inch barrel; 1/12" twist. I'm considering just using the bullets towards the heavier end of what can be stabilised with that twist, so around 60 to 65gr would be the realistic limit to keep velocities sensible as it'll be used for target as well as vermin control. Tried PPU but the shotgun would have grouped tighter. Have some Hornady FMJ training rounds to try for punching paper (£16/100) and considering A-max for vermin in a similar weight. Considering the Lee anniversary kit and upgrading things like scales as and when funds permit.

If / when you do start, drop me a line and I'll drop you a few 52gr A-max bullets in the post.

Don't automatically assume that the heavier bullets will stabilise better. My Steyr Mannlicher has a 1:9 twist rate, but I've found that the heavier bullets don't produce any greater accuracy, and I've tried quite a few, from 50 to 80 grain.

60grn V Max are excellent out of my 1..9 twist remmy, also 60grn Nosler.

With a 24" 1..12 you won't get much beyond 600yds, so 60grn is more than enough.

If you plan to shoot up to 400yds then anything will do.

Best powders are H322, Benchmark, N130, N133 up to 60grn, or N140 for heavier bullets/target work.

Primer wise there isn't that much in it.

Recently had to buy another 1000 and ended up with Fed Gold BR, which work as well as Winchester or CCI in my loads.

As for cases, I use most makes (all bought as factory rounds or once fired), and they all work fine.

I had to ream out the primer pockets on the Federal as they are crimped, and eventually turned the necks as they are both thick and uneven. Although thicker cases are a good idea if you ever plan to run them a bit hot.

I found the 'One Book One Cal' to be a good help. Start at mid range and work to what suits your rifle.

If / when you do start, drop me a line and I'll drop you a few 52gr A-max bullets in the post.

Don't automatically assume that the heavier bullets will stabilise better. My Steyr Mannlicher has a 1:9 twist rate, but I've found that the heavier bullets don't produce any greater accuracy, and I've tried quite a few, from 50 to 80 grain.

That's a very generous offer, thank you. I'll probably be starting in the New Year reloading 308 and 223.