Windscreen problem.

Westley

Can anyone offer any advice for removal of a 'film' on my vehicle windscreen, before I go back to Main Agents and demand a new screen. I bought a demo model Honda CRV, last July. From the off, the windscreen had issues. I thought at first the sunlight was reflecting off the freshly silicone polished dash top. Having cleaned all the dash top with meths and it making no difference, I was out in rain, in the dark. Street lights and car headlights all appear with a giant halo around them and it is impossible to see, to a point where I am forced to stop. I have tried, meths, vinegar and water with newspaper, Rainex windscreen CLEANER, most of the added ammonia glass cleaners and last but not least, T cut. The car has also been back twice for the Main Agents to 'have another go'. Can anyone tell me of success they may have had cleaning 'carp' from the outside of a screen, short of a sander or angle grinder ! Oh, and I have new wiper blades on too. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Guys, in answer :- Yes certainly on the outside, the inside has been well and truly steam cleaned by the Dealers. I have to say that with all the effort that has so far been applied to the outside that things have improved, to a point where it is now bearable during daylight driving in the rain. I did take the vehicle out last night and during a rain shower it was still quite bad. As I said there is a large 'halo' around street lights and oncoming headlights are a nightmare. I do have some acetone, I use it for thinning fly tying varnish and had wondered about using it. I had also considered paint thinners, but in both cases I had been concerned regarding any 'knock on' damage to the rubber seals or the paintwork. I was hoping that someone among the PW massive had experienced a similar occurence and had dealt with it. With regards to the silicone interior shine, the vehicle had been polished to within an inch of it's life ready for my collection and my first visit was to the Main Dealers valeter, who tried without any success to undo his handywork.

Put a decent crack in it, get it replaced on insurance. Should only cost you a small excess. Prob cheaper than all the time and products you've already used!!

That had crossed my mind too. Just a bit worried about the re- sealing job. Should have done a brake test on the A49 and put a Brattensound through it ?

You're hardly going to believe this but I saw a YouTube video about cleaning windscreen using 0000 gauge wire wool!

You use it dry with a circular motion and when it's spotlessly clean finish off with two coats of RainX. I've tried it and boy does it work, I've never seen a cleaner screen and with the RainX, as long as you're moving, you don't need the wipers on. Does seem strange taking wire wool to a windscreen but it's worth the effort.

Mr Potter

If you go with a good screen company, and not the micky mouse outfits, you shouldn't have an issue with the new seal! Als watch them remove the old one, if they catch the paint and take it down to metal, get it treat and a coat of etch primer on it. I see a few cars with rusty window surrounds where the fitters have damaged the paint!

If you go with a good screen company, and not the micky mouse outfits, you shouldn't have an issue with the new seal! Als watch them remove the old one, if they catch the paint and take it down to metal, get it treat and a coat of etch primer on it. I see a few cars with rusty window surrounds where the fitters have damaged the paint!

I went with one of the big companys and it took them 3 fittings to get it right :yes: its all time and money, time of work,hanging around so they can get there job right :good: BB

You're hardly going to believe this but I saw a YouTube video about cleaning windscreen using 0000 gauge wire wool!

You use it dry with a circular motion and when it's spotlessly clean finish off with two coats of RainX. I've tried it and boy does it work, I've never seen a cleaner screen and with the RainX, as long as you're moving, you don't need the wipers on. Does seem strange taking wire wool to a windscreen but it's worth the effort.

Mr Potter

Mr. P, I have seen that video and had considered it, I have some 0000 grade steel wool already. I have used it on gunstocks and have to say with a drop of stock oil it does not scratch, having the sphericals to do the windscreen is something else. I may try it with T cut in a corner on the nearside, Thanks.

Mr. P, I have seen that video and had considered it, I have some 0000 grade steel wool already. I have used it on gunstocks and have to say with a drop of stock oil it does not scratch, having the sphericals to do the windscreen is something else. I may try it with T cut in a corner on the nearside, Thanks.

Just try some glass polish. I'd be surprised if you have to go as drastic as a new screen.

You could try scraping it with a razor blade, see if anything comes off. It won't scratch the glass.

Edited by BrowningB525

I had the exact same issue... Repeated heavy sprays with window cleaner and rubbing with one of those little green scourers (non-scuff variety).

Took ages.

Thanks for that, I just have to locate the right scrubber then ? I did try a well worn pan thingy in a corner of the screen, but it did seem to be leaving scratch marks so I gave that up.

Just try some glass polish. I'd be surprised if you have to go as drastic as a new screen.

You could try scraping it with a razor blade, see if anything comes off. It won't scratch the glass.

I have tried and tried with just about every glass cleaner out there. The problem is the 'film' is invisible, until it rains. It then becomes VERY visible. I noticed that in today's rain, when I returned to the car in a car park, my windscreen looked like a well waxed bonnet, compared to the other vehicles that were parked around mine. The rain had just beaded all over my screen.

I have tried and tried with just about every glass cleaner out there. The problem is the 'film' is invisible, until it rains. It then becomes VERY visible. I noticed that in today's rain, when I returned to the car in a car park, my windscreen looked like a well waxed bonnet, compared to the other vehicles that were parked around mine. The rain had just beaded all over my screen.

It may have had a "glass sealant" applied.

This would remove it:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/glass-cleaners-sealants/carpro-ceri-glass-kit/prod_988.html