Any MTB riders ?

TaxiDriver

After a recent health scare and not to good yearly medical,

I'm thinking of finally doing something about trying to exercise a whole lot more in order to get fitter, lose some weight.

I've been looking at buying a MTB, really embracing the idea and getting some appropriate clobber and hopefully enjoy riding it regularly, but only propose a limited ibudget of around £350 - £400

but have seen bikes in Halfords/Decathlon/GoOutdoors from £125 upwards.

One question, does spending the extra £200 or so get me a much better bike ???

I mean, will it feel noticeably smoother ? Quicker ? easier/more enjoyable to ride ?

Is there anyone around Chelmsford who rides leisurely ?

I'd go for a second hand bike. Try classifieds of a mtb magazine/ forum, also bike hire shops ( the ones in forests/activity centres). For your price range if you go the new route try and stick to good quality basics i.e good 'u' brakes over cheap discs brakes etc. Good luck in your search.

Its mainly the components you will be looking at for the budget you have. Cheaper bikes also use steel parts making a heavier bike.. More work for you then. As has been said,check the second hand market.. You may pick up a billy bargain.

One thing to do if you buy second hand would be to get it serviced once bought.. So brakes, chain, gears etc get looked at.. A worn chain or cogs on gears will also make for a harder ride.

You really need to buy a bike to match the riding that you want to do. i.e it can cope with the most demanding riding that you will do.

You sound like it will be a fitness/leisure angle so assuming paths, tracks, bridlepaths etc? Nothing too strenuous for the bike (or you).

I have to say - that Decathlon bike looks good for the money - Alu frame, Rockshox forks (with lockout), Truvativ crank (I have that on my £1300 bike) and hydraulic disk brakes. The spec is better than the entry level Specialized Hardrock and that has mechanical disk brakes (not worth the money).

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-disc-650b-2016-mountain-bike-ec120964

If you bought a new one you would have peace of mind with regards to any issues etc.

It's up to you - buy a half decent frame with average components and upgrade them if you get into it or buy a lower level bike which gives you fewer options to upgrade in the future.

Happy shopping.

The amount of used "exercise" devices out there is a good indication of how many people give up the hobby/sport within a few weeks.

I'm not saying you will. However, if I were you, I'd buy a cheap used Halfords special and give it a try for a while before spending a small fortune on the bike and clothing.

The amount of used "exercise" devices out there is a good indication of how many people give up the hobby/sport within a few weeks.

I'm not saying you will. However, if I were you, I'd buy a cheap used Halfords special and give it a try for a while before spending a small fortune on the bike and clothing.

Wise words. Gumtree's full of mid life crises and new year resolutions that have passed.

If you start off with a cheap bike it could put you off, I know, I've gone from an old "good" bike to a new "cheapie" and am again looking for a "good" one.

Second hand's the way to go. The fanatics have to have the latest issue and last year's depreciate rapidly.

See what your local independent dealer has in stock, you'll get a service & a guarantee. Plus, if you don't like it or do want to upgrade, he may well give you a decent price for it.

Finally, like guns, make sure it fits! (tin hat on)

:good:

Swimming would be a better idea, :yes:

that's if you can swim of course :)

If I were you taxidriver I would get yourself a One piece suit to start with until you start to get that body toned, you dont want to scare the rest of the folk in the pool, and if there are any nasty folk in there they may think its a "swim with the wales" day. :lol:

Swimming would be a better idea, :yes:

that's if you can swim of course :)

If I were you taxidriver I would get yourself a One piece suit to start with until you start to get that body toned, you dont want to scare the rest of the folk in the pool, and if there are any nasty folk in there they may think its a "swim with the wales" day. :lol:

Swimming is on the agenda too, however,

I have been asked not to jump in the pool as the water jumps out

However, I think a swim with Wales day would be brilliant, us Welsh have to stick together.

The Whales, well, they can have a day of their own.

I would buy secondhand, a lot of people will be selling kit off now s it gets cold/wet and also they will be wanting 2016 stuff.

In all honesty I would see if you can rent a bike for a few hours and see what you think of it.

Neither swimming or walking will burn fat like cycling, but you have to clip along and you have to stick with it.

Swimming is on the agenda too, however,

I have been asked not to jump in the pool as the water jumps out

However, I think a swim with Wales day would be brilliant, us Welsh have to stick together.

The Whales, well, they can have a day of their own.

LOL TD

Whale's Wales Wails .

Take care doing whatever you choose to do, ;-)

Don't buy anything in the form of mtb"s from halfords bud....I do alot of biking when me back not given me six nowt,look at eBay or Gumtree,you will get a cracking "specialized" for around £400 which will be lightweight with all the top spec on it,you don't want a heavyweight bike as it defeats the purpose, also make sure its the right fit in the frame eg...26" 28" and so on don't get a small bike and stick the seat up lol!....I got a specialized fzr for £300 on eBay and it's a £1200 bike got lucky but they are there if you keep your eyes peeled....good luck with the bike & your health fella!