Shooting in Essex, Partridge and Pheasant 28/11/15

OJW

I stayed at another guns the night before and we set off at 7am the following morning for the shoot which was about two hours away.

This was a mixed Pheasant and Partridge day however the bag was predominantly Partridge (79) and some Pheasant (36) accompanying a pigeon and a woodcock for a bag of 117 at the end of the day.

The wind was most certainly up on some of the drives and I was badly taken by surprise by one or two (or three :oops: ), especially when I got a fair few racing at or over me.

I have added some slow motion takes of a couple of my shots. An example of this is right at the start because I was pleased with how quickly I got onto and hit the second bird after reloading. Please let me know if you think this is good or if you prefer just straight normal speed videos.

I hope you enjoy watching :)

Edited by OJW

Another good day :good: and the slow motion clips are good (you can see how you missed with the first barrel ;):lol: )

Haha thanks! It is helpful being able to look at the slow motion on the shots and I've highlighted some things I want to improve on.

Thanks for posting.

You always shoot over the top of birds going to your left. Swinging high on these birds is the usual mistake for a right handed gun.

Thanks for watching.

And thanks for pointing that out, I've noticed I feel more comfortable on my right side and find it harder on the left now you come to mention it. That must be why. How would I go about correcting it? Just always think "aim below" when taking anything out to that side?

Oh and what do you think of the slow motion bits? Yay or Nay?

Edited by OJW

Thanks for your post.

Do you prefer a schnabel forend on your gun?

Well I prefer the feel, I suppose it's because it's a European gun that it comes with one. I have also gone the other way and shot guns with beaver tale forends and really liked those as well. That's just the forend the gun came with. I haven't noticed a pronounced "beak" on it though and don't really need one for a reference point, just feels sleek.

Didn`t think it looked like four farms ( could be wrong ) , but was also interster where it was in Essex ?

PM sent

Looks like a really good day ....... the slo-mo is great as way of re-enforcing what a good sight picture was like, and learning what went wrong.

Not sure if your gun is a multi-choke but IC in both barrels would be ideal for that type of shooting.

I will get that picture to you by the end of the week .....

Looks like a really good day ....... the slo-mo is great as way of re-enforcing what a good sight picture was like, and learning what went wrong.

Not sure if your gun is a multi-choke but IC in both barrels would be ideal for that type of shooting.

I will get that picture to you by the end of the week .....

I took my gun out the slip and forgot it was geared up for high Pheasants so I shot with tight chokes. I agree that cylinder would have made a huge difference and I did change towards the end (when I remembered after having a HOWLER on "Drive 4") but unfortunately too late.

Because it was a mixed day I didn't really think about it in advance, had I known it would actually be a Partridge day with some Pheasant I'm sure it would have clicked to loosen them up.

Thanks, be interesting to see how you fix the cam. Looking forward to your next video.

I really did enjoy that it goes to show you are like the rest of us,a mere mortal, thanks for posting.

Thanks. No signs of becoming super human yet but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've got a few more that I've uploaded on here if you want to see some others.

Edited by OJW

Good video again lad.

I like the slow mos, it is a good way for less experienced shooters to see the amount of lead/swing to put on a bird.

I also like using slow mo while rough shooting as it can be difficult to make out a woodcock sometimes at full speed.

Enjoy your videos, thanks!

Could be the recoil effecting this, but it seems like you slightly dismount your gun after the first shot? Could just be me

Thanks, really glad you enjoy them.

Yes, I noticed that when watching the slow motion. I think the reason I do it is to re-adjust to the speed of the bird rather than keeping a fluid swing. Unfortunately I have always relied more on instincts rather than good technique, and I think thats why I take it out, look do the mental adjustment of where the bird will be and then pick up the line again.

I've been practicing mounting the gun in the mirror every evening, (30 - 50 mounts) and I've just bought a small laser that I can put in the chamber and practice my swing with. Hopefully that will lead to an improvement.

The next shoot I'm on is a particularly testing one by all accounts so I'm really trying to be disciplined with my mounting and swinging drills.

Thanks, really glad you enjoy them.

Yes, I noticed that when watching the slow motion. I think the reason I do it is to re-adjust to the speed of the bird rather than keeping a fluid swing. Unfortunately I have always relied more on instincts rather than good technique, and I think thats why I take it out, look do the mental adjustment of where the bird will be and then pick up the line again.

I've been practicing mounting the gun in the mirror every evening, (30 - 50 mounts) and I've just bought a small laser that I can put in the chamber and practice my swing with. Hopefully that will lead to an improvement.

The next shoot I'm on is a particularly testing one by all accounts so I'm really trying to be disciplined with my mounting and swinging drills.

hello, what is that laser gadget OJW

hello, good vid and i like that bendy barrel :lol:

Sorry, not sure what you mean? Hope you enjoyed.

hello, what is that laser gadget OJW

Here is a link, it fits in the gun like a cartridge and the laser points out the barrels, I got mine on Ebay though as delivery was much quicker. Only got it yesterday so not tried it yet, just been practicing mount without, will let you know how I get on with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NuoYa005-Gauge-Laser-Cartridge-Boresight/dp/B00GN53DZA/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449101023&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=shotgu++laser+pointer

Good vid. what camera was you using thinking of getting one what did it cost. talking of gun mount at clay club recently doing 100 clays on 5 stands of doubles the first 3 stands i got 5s and 6s the last 2 stands i pre mounted with gun in shoulder and shot straight 20 so most error occurs when mounting.