Why should I buy a .410?

Wingman

A 410 is a bore, Gordon Bennett. 0.410". A measurement of bore diameter nominally 410 thousands of an inch.

28gauge is not a bore, it is no more a bore than 20,16,12,10,8&4. They are gauges.

However many balls that make a total of one pound in weight.

If a pound of leads makes 28 balls what ever that ball measures or is copied will give you the nominal bore measurment of...... Drum roll.....wait for it......a 28gauge, ta da.

The bore of a 28g is around .550" (five hundred and 50 thousands of an inch).

What is forgotten is that about 200years ago no one had tool mart to go buy some standardised measuring devices!

Lesson over.

Maybe look at my LAST comment before you have to get your calculator out again.

Sorry the only smooth BORE gun measured by calibre not gauge. It's been a historic issue!Nobody to this date has come up with a very precise answer, even the president of CIP (the European ruling committee on arms and ammunition).

Nearly every shotgun made is a smooth BORE as you put it but calibre is not just a bore measurement

For example some counties call a 410 a 36 call!

Here is another, one does not ask for .429 magnum ammo when purchasing 44magnum ammo do they! But why not? After all the bore is .429"!

22, 9mm, 36cal,410 are the common shotgun calibre available.

Other smoothbore are available as bore designations, classic examples are smoothbore muzzleloading rifles. I own a .45" and a .58".

There will most likely by a gauge equivalent of them but usually they are named by their bore measurement.

Any other like 12, 20 or 28 are gauges. Calling them a bore is poor grammar or slang.

Maybe look at my LAST comment before you have to get your calculator out again.

Why is that then? I am correct!

A 410 is a bore, Gordon Bennett. 0.410". A measurement of bore diameter nominally 410 thousands of an inch.

28gauge is not a bore, it is no more a bore than 20,16,12,10,8&4. They are gauges.

However many balls that make a total of one pound in weight.

If a pound of leads makes 28 balls what ever that ball measures or is copied will give you the nominal bore measurment of...... Drum roll.....wait for it......a 28gauge, ta da.

The bore of a 28g is around .550" (five hundred and 50 thousands of an inch).

What is forgotten is that about 200years ago no one had tool mart to go buy some standardised measuring devices!

Lesson over.

hello, i seem to remember our countryman jack hargreaves saying just that on a telly programme called HOW!!!!!!

Yes you do need one, ask any of the team that shot with Richg yesterday . 3 of the team had not shot game with 410's before ,but were soon shooting confidently with them. Keep the range sensible, the Fiocchi 19 grm seem to be a hard hitting shell and confidence that they are capable will make days out with a 410 days to remember.

Guys many thanks for all of the responses, the resounding answer seems to be positive so I am going to try and get to my local shop and buy one. I think the Yldiz seems the best bet albeit a little more dosh, but I would rather buy something that lasts and is better to use.

Will try and pick up some of the Eley 3" cartridges. Hoping to get out for a wander in the woods over christmas and will give it a go!

you need to be a good shot with a 410 !

that and the range is what I like it adds the sporting element as long as we are humane in the choice of shots taken. I also use a single which adds to these things, one of the most exiting duck flights I have ever done consisted of just one in the bag but I had to pass over on many opportunities before I took it ! I was only given a few home load Bismouth shells but I am sorely tempted to search out the kit to make my own.

One shot means you cant afford to take anything in range on the basis of flaring the bird for a quick second as if you miss the lot have gone before you can re-load. That's the excitement realy

Well after having a remy 870 in 410 for 30 years I must have had a brain wobble as I gave it to a friend for his 2 young boys to use.

Guess what, have just been an got a Cooey😗.

I have some rabbits and crows on a small holding and there are nabours not to far away and a 12 would be over the top.

I am going to fit a full length suppressor to it to make it more nabourly friendly and have loaded my sub sonics up ready.

Guys many thanks for all of the responses, the resounding answer seems to be positive so I am going to try and get to my local shop and buy one. I think the Yldiz seems the best bet albeit a little more dosh, but I would rather buy something that lasts and is better to use.

Will try and pick up some of the Eley 3" cartridges. Hoping to get out for a wander in the woods over christmas and will give it a go!

Yildiz SPZ ME picks up and looks like a Silver Pigeon albeit a Turkish version!I put it next to my 20 SP and there's very little difference in their aesthetic appeal! Just wish the engraving was deeper - laser technology - part of the reason they keep cost down. I wish you many hours of 3' enjoyment this winter. Top guns!

Ps I'm not comparing a SP to a Yildiz before anybody gets upset. Try the Fiocchi shells if you can - another real Italian triumph!

Not having read the thread I think you should buy one simply because you can. :) Great fun.

That's good enough for me!!!

Went to my local Gun shop that stocks Yildiz but they didn't have a sbs .410 in stock. Got one coming in next week so will probably end up with an early Christmas pressy.

I want this one...

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/yildiz-410-side-by-side-shotgun-review