Berlin

djrwood

If you are the adventurous type (and like walking), I recommend one evening after dinner to walk to Brandenburger Tor and from there to Tiergarten. Once there you will be taken aback by the sight of Siegessäule at night, whilst some amazing street musicians play their music from one of the underpasses. Walk a bit further East and you will come across one of the three Soviet war memorials. This one has to real T 34 tanks at its sides. This area always captivates me at night, no matter how many (dozens) of times I have done that walk...

I found it an amazing place,

Walked for miles following the wall (line of bricks in the road following the line of the wall, parts of which are still there)

Pity they moved the original Checkpoint Charlie.

They were still building the Jewish Memorial garden when I was there, looked very impressive.

The War memorials are very impressive too as is the ruined church left standing but all lit up at night,

Pop down to the Irish bar for a pint, it's downstairs in the shopping precinct close to the ruined church.

I would love to go back one day......

:shaun:

Absolutely loved the place and will be heading back.

Thanks for the help above. Ticked off quite a few on the list in the short time I was there. I'm massively in to WW2, so I think my Dad and I are going back for a weekend in the summer for a weekend, days in the musuems and nights on the lash. I never made it up to Sachsenhausen, but think when we go back we will be heading into Poland to Auschwitz for the day.

Checkpoint Charlie was worth a visit. Find it bewildering and considering I was 2 when they knocked the wall down it all seems a bit to recent for it be possible.

Did a quick look room the museum of terror by the old gustapo head quarters. Just scary to think what went on back then. The images of hung men and shot escapees was savage but the one I found most striking is of a young lad, probably around 3, walking across the rubble in only his t-shirt. Stood there with my 2 year old asleep in his pram brought a few tears to the eyes.

Following with interest, I'm heading out to Berlin later this year, I have 4 nights in Berlin and 4 nights up in Prague.

I'm travelling to Kraków on a separate trip to cover the auschwitz tour.

Flights are so cheap now in advance its great travelling around Europe.

Did both Berling and Prague in the last year, both great cities. Following on from the post about the museum of terror in Berlin, the museum of communism is certainly worth a look in Prague. Rather sombre but certainly very interesting.