Cleaning barrels with boiling water

Wingman

It it works, then it wasn't lead fouling, but plastic.

No, your wrong!

To the op, yes it does.

I have shot many muzzleloaders AND black powder cartridges.

Using black powder means hot water is best.

Boiling water heats the barrels and thus drys them for you.

What I soon discovered many years ago the lead would simply wash out.

There would be black thin strips, wafer thin in the sink.

No plastic wads are used by me and black powder!

I believe it is down to the differing expansion rates of the two metals.

The history of using boiling water was to wash out the salty residues that attracted rust in the old corrosive primers and had nothing to do with leading. If you have leading give it a soak with Hoppes or 009.

And before that it was to flush out salts formed from the combustion of black powder and I doubt very much I am the first to notice lead coming out from the process!

Have you tried it?

And before that it was to flush out salts formed from the combustion of black powder and I doubt very much I am the first to notice lead coming out from the process!

Have you tried it?

Oh yes I have boiled out more barrels than enough, but for leading I use Hoppes. Actually, gunsmiths use a jag with steel wool on to remove leading. I have done that with the rifles before now.

The history of using boiling water was to wash out the salty residues that attracted rust in the old corrosive primers and had nothing to do with leading. If you have leading give it a soak with Hoppes or 009.

I agree, but I also believe the boiling water does help shift the lead - presumably by loosening it from thermal expansion/contraction. The primer residue was highly corrosive and needed boiling water to shift it. Most early percussion muzzle loaders show at least some signs of corrosion because it started so soon after use that some corrosion starting was almost inevitable before you got home to the kettle!

I am going to try this tomorrow, and will be very interested in the results,

I have a fair amount of what I think is lead fouling in the left barrel on my SxS. it looks like dull streaking at the muzzle end of the barrel extending to about 6 inches down the bore rest of the bore is pretty much perfect. I have tried many things to shift it, including a tornado brush, fine wire wool on a jag, soaking overnight in WD40, Ed's Red and Bisley Bore Cleaner, Brasso wadding on a jag. I have also used the traditional bronze brush with a large dose of elbow grease until my arm was aching, my wife was wondering what I was doing the garage when I complained my right arm hurt the following morning!

Its better but still there....

The gun is over 50 years old, according to my interpretation of the date stamps on the barrel stamped I1 made in 1963 i think. and the right hand bore is almost mirror smooth overall the gun is in tremendous condition for its age and actually shoots very well. So after my last attempts at cleaning I put her back in the cabinet and decided to leave it alone, after all when I am 53 I would expect to have a few blemishes!!

Cant see any harm though in trying the boiling water trick but otherwise I'll just get on and shoot the damn thing and worry about it when it stops working properly! It is after all my knock about gun and cost me very little.

Edited by Wingman

That surprises me! Boiling hot?

Yes, I put the end if the barrels on some folded kitchen roll to form a bit of a seal, then filled both barrels to the top with boiling water and kept topping up before letting it slowly drain away. They dried very quickly but were still baking hot when I ran a bronze brush through which did remove some lead, but not all, especially in the forcing cones.

Yes, I put the end if the barrels on some folded kitchen roll to form a bit of a seal, then filled both barrels to the top with boiling water and kept topping up before letting it slowly drain away. They dried very quickly but were still baking hot when I ran a bronze brush through which did remove some lead, but not all, especially in the forcing cones.

Oh 😕