What is a .222 really good at?

malkiserow

Your be hard pressed to find a bad point with this calibre .

Its the benchmark for a accurate round . Pound for pound theres not a lot if any that come close . And has won more gold . Silver . Bronze medals in olyimpic and comonwelth comps over the yrs than pretty much anything

In benchrest/gallery shooting . Its a cracking round . But as time moved people just moved over to .223

If i was to build a dream .22 centerfire rifle . It would be a single shot.222 without doubt !

Inherently accurate,low recoil,long barrel life and does the biz !

If you think you need more,forget.223 and buy a Swift.

I have and use a.220 swift as long as you dont mind having a new barrel every 2000 rounds there pretty cool .very very loud but cool haha .

I've got a 222 & a 223. The 223 has a bit more range punch and is the NATO std round so the cal is well proven. The 222 is really accurate. I remember the first time I shot it, I was after a rabbit for the larsen and there were a few out at long, and I mean long range and I just aimed at the neck of one fired and it was taken. we paced it out and it was 175. the bullet had hit between the shoulder blades. the rabbit was ragged junk but was spot on for the larsen. 50 grn sierra blitz propelled by H 4198. or nosler balistic tip with R12

Here is the info. >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.222_Remington

The fastest & the flattest !

(and noisyest !)

Dont forget the rem 1.7 cf

Edited by fortune

I've got a 222 & a 223. The 223 has a bit more range punch and is the NATO std round so the cal is well proven. The 222 is really accurate. I remember the first time I shot it, I was after a rabbit for the larsen and there were a few out at long, and I mean long range and I just aimed at the neck of one fired and it was taken. we paced it out and it was 175. the bullet had hit between the shoulder blades. the rabbit was ragged junk but was spot on for the larsen. 50 grn sierra blitz propelled by H 4198. or nosler balistic tip with R12

Dont forget the rem 1.7 cf

Thats a 17 though .

The swift was the fastest .22 but not any more . The 22 wssm has that crown now . However my old girl can still push a 50 grn out at a shade under 4000 fps around 1700 ftlbs .

22 wssm is just a new`n though ,Swifts are a classic,as ,of course are .222`s !

Yep im with you on that . The muzzle report from my swift with a hot load is something to behold . Its like unleashing hell haha .

The .222 is often spoken about highly.

I know it has some deer restrictions depending on species and dependant whether you are north or south of the Scottish boarder

What does it excel at ? and also what is it bad at?

in my experience, it's really good at killing foxes without making too much noise when moderated, at relatively low cost.

Great calibre but the advantages over .223 in the field I think are all to frequently over-stated (ie no real world advantage) and the .223 for most purposes can be every bit as accurate. I've just had one of my rifles re-barreled in 26 inch tight twist (1/8) Lothar Walther .223 and am reliably informed by the gunsmith that one hole 100 yd groups are easily within the rifle's capability now. Ammo availability is probably better too. Not knocking .222 at all as it's a cracking good round too.

People forget the. 223 was not available when the 222 was lifting all that silverware in benchrest then along came the 22 ppc etc

The triple feeds well shoots well and fits the smallest of centrefire actions and won't burn the barrel out very quick

It's also capable of killing quarry far bigger than many think IN THE RIGHT HANDS WERE legal

223 can be equal to it in mostly all ways and do just a little more if built right