Dads Care

Arley

Hi Folks,

After some advice please, Dad has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers. He is currently in hospital why they are assessing him. We have been told he will probably never be able to return home and he will have to go into a care home.

Dad has got a state pension as well as a private pension, some savings in the building society and Mom and Dad own there own home. Wii we have to pay for all of Dads care? My Mom is very worried she will either have to sell there home or she will have no savings left.

Dad is only 69 and Mom is 66

Thank you

Nans in a care home, the government pay only for any time she needs a nurse in attendance to care for her health, otherwise it's down to having a charge on her home that amounts to about £28k every year, slightly different to your situation as she lived alone, as her physical health gets worse and her need for a nurse increases so does the amount the government pay

Age UK - we've got two very elderly in laws who are desperately trying to cope at home (one with cancer aged 94, the other who has lost he plot aged 86) and in-home care just not working for them or us so we are now looking for residential care and rather sadly it looks as if their different needs means they will be separated after 64yrs of marriage!

It happened in my family. My cousin's widow had to go into a care home and her 60+-year-old daughter remained in the house. The daughter had worked for a housing association and knew the rules.

I believe that they can put a charge on the house for when it is sold up to an amount where they can't take the last £25,000 or so.

Elderly residential care is very expensive (partly because they privatised it all and then all the homes doubled their prices) but I do think you are expected to at least contribute as local authorities are strapped for cash big time!!

I believe that they can put a charge on the house for when it is sold up to an amount where they can't take the last £25,000 or so.

Elderly residential care is very expensive (partly because they privatised it all and then all the homes doubled their prices) but I do think you are expected to at least contribute as local authorities are strapped for cash big time!!

It didn't happen in the case I mentioned.

Would have thought it would make a difference who owns the house and how (jointly owned,Tenants in common ect)

Bit of a minefield really.

That's why a lot of olderly are signed over their assets, homes and money to their benefactors , although if they pass within 7 years (or so I believe) of this then it can still be taxed

EDITED TO ADD LINK:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-permanent-residential-care2/

Take a look here, there are a lot of changes coming in and being implemented so it's well worth reading up the care act and challenging if you think you can!

Edited by Lloyd90

You have to be strong in these cases. Never get fobbed off. If nursing care is genuinely needed and the NHS don't volunteer, it will cost family a lot of money, which they have already paid in Income Tax. You need to make sure the authority meets its obligation.

I have not known the NHS to volunteer to pay, although my experience is limited to about half a dozen cases.

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your advice. I spoke to a nurse who is looking after Dad when I visited him yesterday and she said he will require nursing care for the rest of his life. She suggested I ask the consultant who is responsible for Dads care to put this writing when we have our weekly meeting with him on Tuesday.

Regards

Matt

Hi Folks,

After some advice please, Dad has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers. He is currently in hospital why they are assessing him. We have been told he will probably never be able to return home and he will have to go into a care home.

Dad has got a state pension as well as a private pension, some savings in the building society and Mom and Dad own there own home. Wii we have to pay for all of Dads care? My Mom is very worried she will either have to sell there home or she will have no savings left.

Dad is only 69 and Mom is 66

Thanks

While your Mum is living in the house it WILL NOT have to be sold. If there savings are over i think something like £23,000, your dad will have to pay his care costs till the savings fall to that figure. Then the council will probably do a financial assess to decide if he should be making a contribution to his care costs from his income.

If your Dad has been sectioned under 'The Mental Health act' his care will be free of charge.

I know this from experience with my own parents over the past 5 years, hope this helps you.

fenman99

You have to be strong in these cases. Never get fobbed off. If nursing care is genuinely needed and the NHS don't volunteer, it will cost family a lot of money, which they have already paid in Income Tax. You need to make sure the authority meets its obligation.

I have not known the NHS to volunteer to pay, although my experience is limited to about half a dozen cases.

Mums been in a care home since my dad died, sold their property to fund care and ran out of money after spending over £160k. Nine months of having a constant battle with the council to keep mum where she is have finally paid off with them paying the full bill...and they still keep asking at every opportunity if the family can pay something, anything! Good luck on your journey Arley, as has been said, stay strong and make sure your dad gets all the help there is and always remember, your dad is there inside when you talk to him and speak to him about everything just as you would always have done.

While your Mum is living in the house it WILL NOT have to be sold. If there savings are over i think something like £23,000, your dad will have to pay his care costs till the savings fall to that figure. Then the council will probably do a financial assess to decide if he should be making a contribution to his care costs from his income.

If your Dad has been sectioned under 'The Mental Health act' his care will be free of charge.

I know this from experience with my own parents over the past 5 years, hope this helps you.

fenman99

It's VERY unlikely to section someone under the MHA and for the elderly who lose capacity they will likely be under the mental capacity act.

To sum a lot of it up, every local authority has had their budgets cut drastically , yet the demand and pressure for care continues to go up. I don't know how long it can continue like this but with new ligislation there will be court challenges to give new case law, until people start challenging in courts etc then they will try to get away with as little as possible!