Really struggling with my game shooting..

And its really really starting to frustrate me. I am right eye master dominant which i noticed last year and its just making things so hard. I dont think i am giving the birds enough lead either and cant get a set routine with closing my left eye and leading in front of birds. Walked up birds its never been a problem but driven shooting is driving me crazy. Ive looked at the enough lead page any other tips advice. My next option is lessons i think

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right hand shot right hand dominant.

And your right eye dominant

Well thats half your battle fought . Asuming your gun fit is ok . Get some lessons .

Edited by stevo

That's good, so why do you feel the need to shut your left eye?

From my right shoulder with both eyes open the barrels are crossing on front of my vision but if i close my left eye i can look straight down the barrel.is that not right eye dominant where my right eye is stronger than the left?

Give Stewart Cumming at Hopetoun a call and arrange a lesson, not too far away from you and he will sort you out. Let him know the sort of presentation that is causing you problems and he will set something up to suit.

Thanks i will look him up.

Yes poor at clays too. Crossers am ok with both clay and game but anything towards or over the top and i am snookered and fall to peices

I am sure a big chunk of that is a confidence issue for you and once you nail a few things will improve a lot. A big part of the battle is not to bend yourself out of shape over it as that makes things worse, but I appreciate that is way easier said than achieved.

A good solid hour with a good coach will make a world of difference to you.

Edited by grrclark

You are left eye dominant then.

Get some safety glasses if you don't already wear glasses and put a pea sized bit of tape on the left lenses in just the spot that the left eye sees your barrels.

Been there done that and it easy to correct.

Walked up you don't have much time to think but driven birds you often do.

Another tip is to keep your gun down until the last second.

From my right shoulder with both eyes open the barrels are crossing on front of my vision but if i close my left eye i can look straight down the barrel.is that not right eye dominant where my right eye is stronger than the left?

It's the other way round. You're left eye dominant. If you see a crossing barrel with both eyes open and gun mounted on your right shoulder it means you're seeing mostly with your left eye (because this one has the line of sight across the rib, not along it). When you close your left eye, you can only see with your right and therefore get the view along the rib.

Welcome to the club. I'm left eye dominant too and I find that partially closing my left eye just before I pull the trigger helps to check that I've got the correct line on a target, be it a clay or a bird. It's like second nature to me now and doesn't seem to stop me hitting targets any less than the next person.

Edited to say that Underdog is spot on about shooting at the last minute. I find shooting gun down much more successful than gun up, and find I hit more with snap shots than when I have plenty of time to mount and track the target.

Edited by Andy135

My bad then! I have bought shot spot for my glasses but i prefer to shoot with contacts in as the weather up here my prescription glasses get wet and misty and become more a hinderance. I agree i shoot far better snap shooting hence why i feel i am a better walked up shot. I will need to practise not mounting too early.

Keep both eyes open and mount your gun, whilst mounting your gun focus on an object and you should see 2 sets of barrels then closed your less dominant eye and see which barrels line up with the object you are focused on . Sounds confusing I know but try it. Failing that shoot with both eyes closed it can't get any worse.

Yep your left eye dominant. I had the same when I was shooting right handed and over time my left eye became more dominant (I now know I'm long sighted in my right eye) causing the crossing barrel. I changed to left handed which I thought was gonna be impossible as I can't really do anything left handed (keep it clean) but it know feels natural and shoot fine.