How do you tell if if a firing pin is broken?

Wingman

Now I now this will get the usual answers of stuff cartridges in and see if it goes BANG, but looking at my new (old) gun a Silver Kestrel Sidelock got me thinking,

I took it down for a good cleaning today and looking at the firing pins once seems to protrude slightly more than the other. I have fired on snap caps and it all seems ok, ejects fine and doesn't sound like something is broken So was just wondering if there are any tell tale signs or things to look for that may signify a problem? Hoping that someone with more experience could share their wisdom!! :lol::lol:

Pic Below, Thanks!

post-76330-0-24652800-1454666714_thumb.jpg

hello, i had that in a few foreign shotguns some years back, just took it to the oxford gunsmith (now retired) he just took the pin out and replaced with shorter version so making an equal indent, he kept the old pin for fellow shooters, if you cannot find a replacement pin i am sure you can file down and re harden if the case maybe, i expect more knowledgeable members will give you a better answer

remove the barrells from the gun ....pull triggers and the pins will stick out.....if a pin is on its way out it will be pitted and domed on the end.....pull the pins whilst they are sticking out to see is there is and looseness...........always best to get both pins done.....if one fails

Doing it yourself is a Pig. You have Disk Set Strikers.

They can be really fused in tight on the threads.

If you haven't got a tool that fits it, You will make a right mess,Ayas had these, Did make a tool for it some years ago, off set pegs to allow slight differences, Sorry, I doubt if I would be able to find it, as I have moved a couple of times since, I would have let you borrow it, shame really.

EDIT SORRY.

If the gun is not going off sometimes, or the firing pin strike is not uniform, get them replaced, (Both) as suggested. Gunsmith..

Edited by subsonicnat

Thanks guys.

Will take her out and see how it shoots, to be honest its just a knockabout gun for pigeon shooting so probably wont worry about it until it stops working. Have to say though its a very pretty gun and for 70 quid I cant complain. Just sprucing the stock up a bit with a light rub down and some linseed oil and its come up good!

post-76330-0-29430700-1454678188_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wingman

Old Gunsmith's trick-cock the locks by dropping the barrels then close the gun, remove the forend and barrels and turn the gun so that the breach face faces the ceiling-put a 2p coin over one firing pin and pull the trigger-the coin should hit the ceiling, repeat for the other pin.

Really??

Best get the Mrs to cover the chandeliers!

Old Gunsmith's trick-cock the locks by dropping the barrels then close the gun, remove the forend and barrels and turn the gun so that the breach face faces the ceiling-put a 2p coin over one firing pin and pull the trigger-the coin should hit the ceiling, repeat for the other pin.

This.

Keep your fingers out of the way though!

As a cheap knock about (looks like a very nice knockabout) I wouldn't worry about the strikes being of equal power. As long as it's working keep on using. If the pin/pins are warn then get them replaced as and when it becomes an issue. Shouldn't be difficult to find some to do them.

Edd

£70 ......seems a bargain!

Yep I was pretty lucky to spot it and snapped it up. I had to give my Ugaratecha SXS as well but that didn't owe me anything really, just needed the space in the cabinet for the new one. To be honest it looks great in the pic but up close you can see the flaws. The stock is pretty dinged although my rubbing with wire wool and coating with linseed oil has made that MUCH better. Barrel bluing is thin and a few rust spots here and there but bores are pretty spotless, also looks like the locks have been off in the past as one of the screws is a bit mashed up. Other than that though its not too bad for a 36 year old gun!

Edited by Wingman