pickup mpg

mattyg1086

Hi

I get 30/32 out of my l200 on decent diesel

Cheap tesco 25

Cheap sainsburys 27

This is on the trip computer on 500 miles a week

Loaded and mostly short runs and a bit of off road

Tested it once low box 4wd over rough and steep ground lamping all nite only did 8

As said if you want one it's the job it does not the mileage

All the best

Of

I run a Hilux 3.0 invincible and don't ever see the MPG go above 27mpg(according to the computer) that is a mix of motorway offroad and town driving, I would love to see it go above 30mpg but hasn't up to now.

I have just bought a 3ltr invincible and the computer is saying 36 mpg on average 20 min run to work.

Must be faulty!!!!

Trip computers can be very hit and miss, basically you can make them say what you like if for instance you let the car warm up then zero it and drive at a steady 50 mph for a few miles and watch it read 45 mpg or zero it and let rip which will show barely 15 mpg. The only reliable way of using them is to glance at the reading after a few weeks of the sort of use you normally subject the car to or work it out manually by running a tank full.

Must say I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested the OP buying whatever he fancies leaving £300 quid for a chip, I have it on good PW authority that this instantly quadruples the power/torque whilst making trips to the pumps necessary only when one needs baccy paper. :lol::rolleyes:

Do off road tyres make much difference to the mpg?

Can do it depends on tread patterns and how aggressive they are to rolling friction. I noticed a loss of around four mpg by fitting General Grabber AT2,s same pattern as BF Goodridge AT's not the newer AT Grabbers on a ford ranger. My wife never stopped complaint it was noisier and didn't handle as well and cost more to run.

Edited by figgy

Ok thanks everyone. Here is my situation if it helps i do a 90 mile round trip to work 4 times a week. Some weekends i do private work (electrician) with a colleague and i do a bit of fishing and and getting back into shooting. I also have a dog and am looking at getting another soon. So i need a big car with good mpg and a little bit of off road capability ive always wanted a truck but what else is there. I did look at a tucson as my grandad had one from new and is still in the family now and seems good vfm anyone got any suggestions

I thought double-cab pickups might be a choice but the 'buckets' would be too small for the fishing rods. A 4x4 van would be a thought but I've not heard of one other than a Renault. A 4x4 estate does not keep the smelly stuff from the seating area. Decisions, decisions.

exactly i can fit the rod holdall in a pickup but the top tailgate glass has to stay open with a bunjee attached to it xc70's look nice but as you say would very quickly smell of dog but would be good for the commute to work. Ill have to stuck with the vectra untill i can decide i think

Do Subaru still do a pickup?

No - havnt done for over 20 years now.

There is rumblings they are looking to make a new one... but iv been hearing this on and off for 10+ years.

Fuel economy - iv a 55'plate Toyota Rav4 (4x4 model), it does about 40mpg. Great long distance runner and brilliant 'softroading' on road tyres. Maybe abit small inside depending what your doing but it suits me. Leather seats easy to wash down when I had the dog.

I thought double-cab pickups might be a choice but the 'buckets' would be too small for the fishing rods. A 4x4 van would be a thought but I've not heard of one other than a Renault. A 4x4 estate does not keep the smelly stuff from the seating area. Decisions, decisions.

I run an L200 & my boat rods are put up the side of passenger seat - from foot well to rear seat

Ok thanks everyone. Here is my situation if it helps i do a 90 mile round trip to work 4 times a week. Some weekends i do private work (electrician) with a colleague and i do a bit of fishing and and getting back into shooting. I also have a dog and am looking at getting another soon. So i need a big car with good mpg and a little bit of off road capability ive always wanted a truck but what else is there. I did look at a tucson as my grandad had one from new and is still in the family now and seems good vfm anyone got any suggestions

A mate of mine, was in a similar sittuation to you needed a bit more economy than jeeps tend to give , he does a lot of wildfowling and was all over the country regularly, his wife had a BMW diesel estate, he had an old astra van he used, but needed a bigger van a sprinter for his joinery job. . he got into foxing and did a lot of it and soon started to run in to trouble with the little van. So he gets a 3rd gen discovery, this was great for foxing, but he soon got fed up feeding it diesel with the mileages he was doing during the season.

He came up with the idea to buy a smaller van than the old sprinter sell everything and went for a T5 130 VW transporter, this was better than the disco on fuel was not quite as good as the astra van but a lot nicer drive and allthough smaller than the sprinter for work he could get by with it just fine. Now what about the 4x4 aspect i hear you all say, well here he did a shrewd thing, he went out and got a small ytouths size two wheel drive quad a 100cc two stroke, he paid very little for it, its light fits in the VW and it gets him where he needs to go, his shooting is private estates so he has no leaving his vehicle wories as such, and he is very content with this unusual set up.

It all sounded a bit complicated to me but i have been out with him on numerous occasions and it all seems to work like clockeork for him. This might not be for you but if its shooting acces you mainly want the 4x4 option for its another way around it as unusual as it may be.

Edited by TONY R