Barrel bulge

Smiler23

Hia fellas, iv just noticed a very small bulge near end of gun, only way I can see it is by holding it up to light and looking along length, I can't see anything on the inside it's clear, no rings visible , it's only the outside I can see it. Question is, I take it this isn't safe to shoot now? Is it fixable? Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's multi choke,as to why it's bulged ..no idea, I'm presuming stuck wad, as no mud or out was stuck in end, it's cleaned religiously after every outing, the day I think it's happened, I had 5 shots, noticed nothing different in sound after firing so I'm a bit miffed about it.. Choke goes in and out ok still, if you run hands down barrel you can't feel it, it's only visible when light runs down side of it ....gun in question is browning gold

Edited by Smiler23

It sounds like a ring bulge - or at least a partial one. These normally occur a bit further down the barrel from where the obstruction was that caused it. Often in the choke area the obstruction is cleared from the barrel before it can develop fully. What has happened is the barrel has exceeded it's elastic limit and unlike a dent, it cannot therefore be fully corrected as the metal has stretched. These are now being seen with the use of steel shot as the harder material forces its way through the restrictive choke area. Often it's not a problem and the gun remains usable - assuming there's nothing else untoward. A trip to a 'smith should put your mind at rest.

Take it to a gunsmith and get it checked.

Describing the possible problem on the forum and taking advice from people that have not seen the problem (me included) is not good.

You are right to ask for advice but in this case getting a professional to look at it is the only solution (in my opinion).

Gun is browning gold 10, the discrepancy can be seen if I look down both sides, it's that minor it could be flared as you say for chokes, I'm going to take it down to gunsmiths next week, for look.. When I look on inside of barrel it is perfectly clean and clear ,.. No sign of anything untoward