Relaoding on the cheep

Having acquired a .22-250 and soon to get a .308 I decided that I may want to give reloading a go. My.22-250 shoots 1"" with factory ppu which I was more then happy with. I decided that as I don't shoot high numbers of rounds that investing a lot of money in a high end press and dies was not justified but I wanted to try and improve my rifles performance and it is hard to find any FMJ/target bullets in .22-250.

I came across the lee loader classic kit and at about £30 delivered decided to give it a go. It claims to have everything you need to make ammo as accurate as factory ammo. The one reservation I had was the use of a dipper scoop to measure the powder out. I was unsure about the accuracy and the load it delivered was low compared to loading data.

For that reason I decided to get a small set of electronic scales. Reloading ones from reloading companies look good but at £50 were too much. Looking at online action sites I found one with a small weighing tray. This needed to be bent slightly to enable it to pour the measure of power into the cartridge, it weighs to about .2 of a grain so fairly accurate. You need to make sure the weighing tray is not touching the side and give it a few seconds to stabilise after adding powder. I checked its accuracy by weighing a few bullet heads, my 52grain weighed at 52.2 or 52 so I decided it probably was accurate and not going to give me excessive loads.

The process is fairly simple, and only requires a plastic hammer to reduce the risk of sparks and fire/explosion. Videos can be found on youtube.

The collar can be adjusted to adjust the seating depth of the bullet and over all length. I had this set quite high to start and loaded a head into an unprimed unloaded brass and then slowly brought the collar down until it was at the 2.350" over all length measured with callipers.. I tightened up the locking nut and then made another unloaded bullet to ensure COL was correct at 2.350 inches.

The calliper I used measures to .01 of a mm so able to get the exact 59.69 mm length recommended.

The process is not the fastest, but I cam make a round in about a minute.

If it is allowed I will put links to the scales and callipers here as they are a few options and it is hard to find the scales with the weighing tray. The callipers were my second attempt at finding some as the first ones were only accurate to .1 of a mm.

All in I was able to start reloading for £50 investment.

Powder for 100 rounds works out about £25 ( 1lb of powder is 7000 grain, loading at 38 grain i heoretically have 180 loads from a tub)

100 heads £20

primers £ 4

( brass not included as already had)

so for 100 rounds including reloading equipment it was around £100 to make ammo, buying premium ammos wound have cost myself at around £125

Next time it will be about £50, so even cheaper then PPU and under 1/2 the price of premium ammos. Just my time to consider.

The best bit- 10 shot group was into .5" at 100m with some of the bullets only slighly enlarging the hole from a previous bullet.

I have no affiliation to any of the companies or products.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161927100020?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131249568072?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161969919588?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-53161-0-51840100-1455989064_thumb.jpg

post-53161-0-61846300-1455989399_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps people who are thining of trying reloading but like mayself want the benefits with out the large initial outlay.

I am not responsible if things go wrings, this is just for your information on what I used and did.

Edited by rwade545

Good move....welcome to the dark side...

Lee Loaders are too often overlooked but they turn out very accurate ammunition for a minimal outlay. Ideal way to get into saving money & producing custom reloads....ie FMJ 22-250 - not normally factory fodder.

Idesl for low volume reloaders too....like deer stalkers.

Still got my first Lee Loader from 30 years back.

DO try the scoop though. Lots of factory ammo is made using volume not weight....just keep the dipper process CONSISTENT.

The Lee Loader sets in shotgun sizes are worth looking out for.

Hi, i have tried the scoop and found that with a bit of practice it throws fairly accurate measures, problem was it was very conservstive on the measure. 33.3 grain of H414, loading date says that starting load should be 37 grain and simualr with other powders. Thought of getting dippers in other side but for price was able to get a scale so went that way. Will look at the shotgun ones too!! Thanks for that.

Hi, i have tried the scoop and found that with a bit of practice it throws fairly accurate measures, problem was it was very conservstive on the measure. 33.3 grain of H414, loading date says that starting load should be 37 grain and simualr with other powders. Thought of getting dippers in other side but for price was able to get a scale so went that way. Will look at the shotgun ones too!! Thanks for that.

Not wishing to be negative.

Powder quantity from dippers is conservative by design.

Don't put absolute trust in cheap digital scales, battery state is only one possible cause of erratic measurement?

The reason for increased cost of some scales is in the design of the measuring system.

A full Lee scoop set is cheap.

I use to scoop and scrape the top off.

If the scoop is too big push paper snips in it or thin card until it gives what you want.

Shot shell or brass cases make good scoops.

+1

The Lee scoops are really underrated and can be very accurate if a consistent method is used. You could pay several hundred pounds for a Harrel or other up market measure and you would get no better results - they are, after all, just volume measures.

As UD says, it's easy to make a custom scoop - Weigh out your powder load, tip it into something like a .38 case, see how far up the case it comes, trim off the case, solder a wire handle, check the load with the scales and away you go.

So - Great start with your reloading but it's quite a steep learning curve. Just a note to help avoid confusion, you hit the head of the case with the mallet, the bullet is the projectile, and 2.35" is the length of the cartridge or round.

To be fair a Lee powder throw works on volume which is what I use and check volume using a balance beam scales (no battery to go flat) and find it very easy. But as stated once you start reloading it gets addictive as I started out buying a 2nd hand Lee 4 turret press with .308 dies and soon bought .303 and .223 as I acquire other calibres.

Apologies if this is a stupid question.....but is a large part of the reloading process not the cleaning and polishing of the cases? There doesn't appear to be any cleaning if the cases using this kit. I'm very interested in going down this route as a cheap way of getting into reloading. I don't shoot great amounts of .243 but would like to do it out of interest and satisfaction more than anything.

I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and use a home brew of vinegar, hot water and fairy which brings the cases up lovely. You don't have to do it but makes spotting damaged cases easier / keeps your hands clean etc.

l learnt to reload on a .223 Lee Loader, brilliant bits of kit. If you want a scale then the Lee safety scale is cheap and accurate.

Edited by Livefast123

As others have said- this becomes addictive. As the misses gets annoyed at the sound hammering I have decided to switch to a single stage press for my reloading as can see myself only using factory ammo if I have to. Will put this up forsale once I have my press etc set up.

if you use a small tumbler or similar container for the powder reservoir

keep it topped up

push the scoop base first into the powder just enough to go under and let it fill up

remove and scrape off flat with a piece of card

very very consistent and accurate

a set of scoops and some judicious trimming of scoop edge or inserting card spacers into the base and you can tune the scoop to the load

some people even use old cases trimmed down to make a calibre specific one

I worked up a density and weight comparison spreadsheet so I could match scoops to data without introducing another variable of weighing on an inaccurate scale

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13ZlKfQww6-GJHG7gkQ6d1Kv3SdQKqevjqOJGQsiMyfg/edit#gid=6

can use the formula for whatever powder you want if you find the density

I use a thrower now which is just quicker but I still scoop now and then!