Over and Under - good game gun.

Richie10

Hi,

I moved away from having an o/u and have sxs and semis but looking to get a o/u for game shooting and pigeon.

Want a 30" barrel, 3" chamber, steel proof, presentable and around £600, even in second hand value.

Anyone have any recommendations? Lanber, Browning or maybe Beretta? Blasers being out of the question for that money...

Thanks

Is that second hand or new?

Cheers

That would be S/H as far as I am aware the older Mirokus are neither steel proof or have 3" chambers anyway .

Do you definitely need 3" and steel proof ? because it will limit your choice quite a bit .

For your budget you could get a newish Bettinsoli ,which would not be my choice or a decent Lanber which I think is a better gun .

All the older Browning , Miroku and Berettas in your price bracket are unlikely to have 3" chambers and be steel proofed.

New at that money probably the Baikal o/u they are steel proff and 3 inch the new ones.

There are some turkish offerings i know nothing of which may or may not be durable, i supose you could look at some of those.

Franchis are good vallue and they have guns which suit your criteria but they are a little out of your price range brand new.

Used lots of options, and in used able to meet the only aspect of your criteria the baikal is a bit marginal on, thats PRESENTABLE.

And a gun i would recomewnd you look at and look hard for is a SKB 500/ 600 series, these are 3 inch mostly from about the year 2000 and you will get one used for 600, they have steel proof barrels and are classic european o/u in style rather reminisant of the merkel shotguns, the SKB has typical Japanese builds quality and they handle very nice.

You are a little low on money to get any of the bigger players in 3 inch and steel proof, you could find a winchester game gun one bassed on the later nikko 5000 series guns, this will be hard chrome barrels, and 3 inch on some models in the range.

Staying with the winchester theme, some classic doubles are 3 inch and hard chrome but again the budget might be a little restrictive.

Berttas are going to be over budget with a 3 inch chamber and a reasonably game spec gun. Maybe an onyx or essential version but even then i think you are going to struggle in any cxondition.

Lauronas they fit the bill as do lincolns in the various models.

My hot tip, look at the SKBs and one in 20 if thats acceptable to you. One will take some tracking down but well worth the effort, i would have one if i came accross one.

You could do a lot worse than a Bettinsoli X trail. You can pick a good one up for around £500 second hand. It will meet your criteria. Read the Sporting gun review online. I shall be picking up the new wildfowling version next week. They are not bad guns.

You could do a lot worse than a Bettinsoli X trail. You can pick a good one up for around £500 second hand. It will meet your criteria. Read the Sporting gun review online. I shall be picking up the new wildfowling version next week. They are not bad guns.

Hopefully your will be ok motty but plenty have had problems from what reading I have done , I think they are a good looking gun for the money but the mechanical issues has always put me off buying one

I certainly would not buy a gun going on a review in sporting gun , have you ever seen a poor review in it ? if they did they would soon lose some advertising income.

Hi,

I moved away from having an o/u and have sxs and semis but looking to get a o/u for game shooting and pigeon.

Want a 30" barrel, 3" chamber, steel proof, presentable and around £600, even in second hand value.

Anyone have any recommendations? Lanber, Browning or maybe Beretta? Blasers being out of the question for that money...

Thanks

Have to say, unless there's something that you've not mentioned, that that appears to be a contradiction of terms.

Have to say, unless there's something that you've not mentioned, that that appears to be a contradiction of terms.

Why do you say that?

I prefer the longer barrels.

Something presentable if I go for some game days.

Something I can use on Pigeons, which is basically any gun, true.

Steel proof as I shoot steel quite a bit, also won't become useless if lead is banned and can use I if shooting wildfowl. I have 3 semis I use for wildfowling. I don't plan on taking this one to the marsh.

I have a 'hardly used -500 cartridges max) Lanber MC to the specification you are looking for............apart from not being steel shot proofed, but if you are only shooting woodies and game, you wouldn't be using a shot size that could do much to the bores.............personally I don't use steel, but then I don't shoot over water (apart from the puddles that seem quite prominent through this winter).

Anyway, you can easily find one just like that for £525 max. say......

Edited by OffAim

Take a While and really think it over:

You may a few weeks down the line start thinking about having Chokes instead of Fixed Chokes..

Make sure you know which gun, you can afford, handle it,Like the look of, and of course,anything it may come with Box,Bits Etc..

I Bet You there Are Not Many on here who Bought their First Gun and hit the nail on the head so to speak.

It Then becomes a race to FILL the Cabinet,,,WHY, Because we never chose wisely in the first place..