Domestic dogs killing small game

Xskppy

So do I...........Unfortunately my dog has a bit of Border Terrier in him as well as the other breeds..........I had his DNA tested when he was about six months old, so I could anticipate what traits he was likely to develop.

The hound / chase part is the only worrying bit, which I hope will calm down when he becomes adult.

A simple calculation given the number of years I have been shooting will indicate I have outlived all but the current dog........

I had the Afghans in the 70s.........they can't really be trained because they think they are cats.

Gordon Setter and Springers in the 80s and onwards were perfectly OK.

Current dog......if you read my posts properly; you will see that he is a mix, but predominantly Border Collie............however, he will chase........(could be because he is still a puppy)..........but not caught or killed anything.

As I mentioned earlier, he unfortunately has the attributes of all the breeds in him.......It will a job to curtail just one.

It was just a thought if a dog chasing was classified as Hunting with Dogs (IIRC according to the legislation, it has to be more than one dog and coursing has to be a 'meet', so you are wrong with that accusation).

Judge for yourself if he is killer.

I never mentioned the hunting legislation, u will be more likely to fall foul under game laws if ur dog actually takes a hare ur no different to a poacher, only difference is the intent, ur's is accidental.

Also against countryside code and probably a few local bylaws having out of control dogs etc

It's the damage/disturbance that's caused to nesting birds i'm more concerned with but no body seems to be bothered about that, ground nesting birds have hard enough time with all the vermin and badgers nowadays without being constantly harried by dogs too.

Good luck with ur pup, possibly it will grow out of it, but generally speaking it will have to be trained out of it and allowing it to get away with it will only make ur life harder to unlearn the chasing. But i'm sure u already know that anyway

So is the new pup fine now to be left with the rabbit or do you still have to supervise the rabbit to keep the pup safe.

Pup looks to have grown too. :)

Never leave puppies or smaller children unattended with a rabbit 😊

There getting on fine just mindful he's a pup all the animals have to get on in my house(zoo) and learn there place

I never mentioned the hunting legislation, u will be more likely to fall foul under game laws if ur dog actually takes a hare ur no different to a poacher, only difference is the intent, ur's is accidental.

Also against countryside code and probably a few local bylaws having out of control dogs etc

It's the damage/disturbance that's caused to nesting birds i'm more concerned with but no body seems to be bothered about that, ground nesting birds have hard enough time with all the vermin and badgers nowadays without being constantly harried by dogs too.

Good luck with ur pup, possibly it will grow out of it, but generally speaking it will have to be trained out of it and allowing it to get away with it will only make ur life harder to unlearn the chasing. But i'm sure u already know that anyway

Yes you did..........You mentioned I could get done for hare coursing or poaching..........read your own almost intelligible posts.........you obviously don't read mine properly........

I'm glad I didn't move to Campbeltown (which I nearly did) if this is the sort of level of intelligence I have to deal with..

Edited by OffAim

Hi guys I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I have been having a debate with a guy I work with , his mother in laws jack Russell has killed a few of his chickens and refuses to admit the dog shouldn't have done it , I was under the impression if a dog has killed another animal he should put down . A neighbours dog broke out and killed a pet goat I had and the neighbour didn't hesitate in putting his dog down .

Another guy at work says his jack Russell has killed a few rabbits when he takes it out for walks but is insistent this is normal behaviour for his dog .

Any feedback on this matter would be appreciated

Shane

I think a better question would be, if people need to ask questions like this should they be allowed to own a dog? My answer to that would be a definite no

This must be a windup post, anyone who has dogs knows if the circumstances are there most will kill, be it mice, rats, chickens or larger. Yes you can teach them not to but the first meeting they get with something is usually the one that matters

Never heard of a sighthound being called off a chase, if it could it would be considered as having no drive, useless.

As for killing a dog after the event of killing livestock, it's too late.

Dogs kill animals, they have been doing that for Man for hundreds of years!

It really surprises me you can hear this stuff on the forum....the dog attacked a chicken so it will be dangerous to people...

I think you just have to bear in mind the circumstances and be try and manage their instincts.. when I walk my dogs across the village green I put them on the lead because if I didn't they would be in the duck pond trying to get hold of the residents thereby upsetting the people throwing bread , if I didn't put them on the lead walking along the road they would probably chase neighbours cats but when out in the fields I let them off , recall in general is ok , I have trained them to come back , but try and stop them chasing a rabbit !