Electric gate openers

figgy

We are looking at getting electric gate openers installed to our wrought iron twin gates. What I'd like to know is are what is the best system above ground or below ground ?

With our gates I can have either type fitted and the cost isn't that much different to sway me to one. So your thoughts and experiences

Ones we have at work are above ground, bloody unsightly things. And in anything like a medium wind, forget it! They trip the breaker. We have had the company out a few times already to repair them, and now not 12 month after install, the magnetic locks have fell off the gate too! Company is called Newgate. Naffgate more like!

We have them on one of our places and they are a pain in the ****. The below-ground ones were under-specified and kept tripping the supply, filling up with rainwater and breaking down - continual costs. We have recently given up and swapped to an above-ground system and so far, so good. There was a price though and it wasn't cheap to undo the rubbish job done by the original installers (who have since gone bust). The type I have at home is a lot more reliable - you stop, lift a lever thingy and open the gate. When parked up, you simply close the gate and drop the lever..... works every time.

Find a decent supplier first that come highly reccomended with very good after sales service. You'll be needing it! ;) as mentioned above really, below ground looks nicer but prone to water, above ground I hear are a bit more reliable but don't always look the nicest.

I make a lot of gates, but if a customer wants it automated I let them sort it all out with a supplier. Couldn't deal with the hassle they require to keep them going.

We have a came system for about 15 years,with wooden gates. Had a visit from some of our travelling friends about 10 years ago who just drove through them and snapped them off at the styles. After that had a raising bollard fitted behind . All been good since then , but as mentioned before proper installation is the key, with drainage away from the underground boxes.

Think I'll go for above ground openers. Not bothered about seeing the Rams. The gates are at the side of my Garage with the opens drive at the front going for a car port down behind the garage so don't want to keep jumping out to open and close gates. If not electric they would end up open all the time.

Underground or above they all go wrong (a lot) we do gates and other ironworks / fabrications but sub powered gates. If you go powered remember you should get an insured and trained person, people have been killed by incorrect installations. I want to see the details of their training and check the contractors insurance carefully.

Actually I'm looking to get one for my brand new driveway. Had a guy come in already, but he failed to produce a quote. Seems like a lot of people in the construction industry, nobody can be assed to work it seems!

Anyway, if any of you Gate Guys are near Berks/Bucks, PM me. Here's the pic of the driveway and the gate I want to replace. I'd LOVE a remote controlled one, for obvious reasons (it's hard to get out of the car when it's IN the driveway!)

2f2NXQz.jpg

Underground or above they all go wrong (a lot) we do gates and other ironworks / fabrications but sub powered gates. If you go powered remember you should get an insured and trained person, people have been killed by incorrect installations. I want to see the details of their training and check the contractors insurance carefully.

The people doing the work fabricated and installed the gates in the first place, it's what they do. As I have the option of either system I wanted opinions on if underground are better than above ground or vice versa.

Thanks for all the replies so far :good:

Edited by figgy

The market leaders are FAAC. Beninca and BPT close behind

The most important thing to get right is the specification.

Ive just left the game after 15 years or so, the amount of shoddy installs is frightening. It seems the installers of today are unskilled DIY'ers, get a good company in.

Ask if they pressure test on completion, they must. The testing kit is over £1000 to buy and this should give you an idea if they are pro's or not.

FAAC etc will have a list of approved installers although if it goes belly up your on your own.

For me underground operators are the only way forward

• 4 weeks later...

The Gate company are fitting LEB underground motors in SS boxes fully waterproof motors and drive gearbox. It was between this on and BPT but because of potential drainage problems with heavy rainfall this was what they recommended.

On iron gate I would go with below ground as they will be out of sight. we have wooden gates at work so put above ground ones in as they are hidden by the gates from the outside, easy enough to fit and if the boss hadn't been a cheapskate with the control cable would have been trouble free. the can be opened by a fob, a key pad, by phone, push button or by pir sensors depending on the time on day or day of the week. If someone wants to come in out of hours when the push the button instead of the gate opening it will ring the bosses phone.

We used Genie (I think) gear, more than powerful enough to open a 12' wooden gate in to a gale and the controller can be made to do all sorts of things