Different attitude to garden

ditchman

Not as mobile as i was....so in the last couple of years i have pulled trees out got rid of the formal beds left the grass around the bottoms of the trees...and where the light is coming in thro' the trees have strewn and scratched in loads of wildflower seed mix

quite pleased with the result as all i have to do now is mow,,and in the autumn ..strim the wildflowers when the seed heads are set.......quite pleased with the result...this is what i have done so far...today im working on taking another big bed out .....

post-11401-0-84344900-1463469185_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful garden, very peaceful. Lovely to relax in.

Years ago when we were developing a property nearby a foreign lady called our builder to her house and asked him to quote for concreting the entire garden over and it was quite a big garden. And I do mean concreting, not paving it

In her eyes all that grass and the flowerbeds were less appealing than concrete. People see gardens in different ways, Years ago when we told my parents we had put an offer in on a house the first question my Dad asked was how big is the garden. I will never forget that.

Edited by Vince Green

Looks very nice like a park I used to have a couple of those cherry blossom trees they look beautiful for a few day then the wind comes up and blows it all away in my case on to my car so got shot of them in the end for something that lasts longer. I can see you sat out there on a sunny day with a glass of cold drink and a nice book passing to time away.

Heard it still was a scrap yard :whistling::lol:

It looks awesome that! Like a proper meadow :D

25 years ago instead of digging up and moving the scrap.....the owner before he sold it imported 100 tonnes of topsoil from the sugar factory down the road.....everytime i was digging a bed or something i would come across old cast iron baths ..barbed wire bits old rusty pipe..........its still all there except covered up and rusting away ...

That's a beautiful garden, very peaceful. Lovely to relax in.

Years ago when we were developing a property nearby a foreign lady called our builder to her house and asked him to quote for concreting the entire garden over and it was quite a big garden. And I do mean concreting, not paving it

In her eyes all that grass and the flowerbeds were less appealing than concrete. People see gardens in different ways, Years ago when we told my parents we had put an offer in on a house the first question my Dad asked was how big is the garden. I will never forget that.

Ah but older people always liked houses with big gardens as after/during the war they could grow lots of hard to get veg but today if they can be bothered with it people like to have a large a garden with a big lawn for the kids to play on so that they do not have to venture out in to the big bad world.

Looks an idyllic garden DD :good:

You have plenty of time to pull stumps out in your garden. What does your Mrs say?

Well it was quite funny.............my mrs has Distempa...(old timers desease) so some days the cookie jar is not as full as it shud be....anyway i driv into the garden cross the lawn past the conservertory where she was sitting...and saw me driving past with my elbow hanging out of the window puffing orn a rollup......and you shud have seen the look on her face....she had never seen a landrover driving around the garden before....so that gave her a good larf for the day.. :lol:

"Today i am mainly pulling stumps out of my rockery"

Looks more like your ploughing it :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Can almost visualise the look on her face! Even a double take :lol:

Well it was quite funny.............my mrs has Distempa...(old timers desease) so some days the cookie jar is not as full as it shud be....anyway i driv into the garden cross the lawn past the conservertory where she was sitting...and saw me driving past with my elbow hanging out of the window puffing orn a rollup......and you shud have seen the look on her face....she had never seen a landrover driving around the garden before....so that gave her a good larf for the day.. :lol:

Cracking garden. Here I have put in the wildflowers this year perennials and waiting to see what and when they will flower. I spend my time mowing and mowing and strimming. Problem I have is my wife wants everything spic and span so even the wild flowers have to be organised. Even the bench got painted.

IMG_08131_zps8shxvies.jpg

Edited by oowee

Not as mobile as i was....so in the last couple of years i have pulled trees out got rid of the formal beds left the grass around the bottoms of the trees...and where the light is coming in thro' the trees have strewn and scratched in loads of wildflower seed mix

quite pleased with the result as all i have to do now is mow,,and in the autumn ..strim the wildflowers when the seed heads are set.......quite pleased with the result...this is what i have done so far...today im working on taking another big bed out .....

Do you have any bird feeders? Looks perfect for one or two.

I would love a hive. Friends at the pub have one and I am hoping they get fed up of it. Cant be too hard but the bees would have to be tidy or they would be out.

Thats a good idea get some feeders in they are great for making a mess.

A garden hammock would look good to for those warm summer nights cuddled up under the stars :)

no i dont have bird feeders.......i spend £8.00 /wk on bird food....mealie worms . songbird stuff...finch stuff....all goes on the patio twice/day

"Today i am mainly pulling stumps out of my rockery"

[Ditchman, that pic reminds me of a time when we were clearing swims on one of the fishing club lakes. We were using a double headed weed rake (2 rake heads welded back to back)attached to a length of nylon rope. Rake got stuck fast in the water on a unseen snag. So fela tied end of rope to the tow bar of his truck.Then drove forward giving it a good yank! Rake suddenly came free. Shot straight out of the water into the open back of his truck and in bedded in his seat head rest.Time for a change of pants! He was well shaken! I still have that rake and it's something I'll never forget! NB/quote]