Receiving brass cases from America

I talked to Dennis at Titan about this when I ordered a couple of custom dies, reloading equipment and their component parts (including dies) are not restricted by ITAR and are perfectly OK to send from the US.

As said above brass cases and bullets are covered by ITAR and would need the sender to obtain an export certificate/license.

Edited by phaedra1106

I think there is also a restriction on the cost of the item as well.

When I ordered a stock from Boyds a couple of years ago it was $97 and therefore they could ship to the UK.

When I looked at another stock a couple of weeks ago the prices had gone up to $126, and as they were now above the $100 threshold..........they can no longer ship to the UK as they would now have to fill in a load of export bumph in order to stay within the legal parameters.

I'm afraid the days have gone when we are able to send off for cheaper items from The States.

As for sending of for items from Brownells in the states; I'm not sure but if they are anything like Midway USA they will refuse to post anything and refer you to Midway.uk. where you will then have to pay £ssssssssssss for $ssssssssssssss. ...........or generally more so.

I wanted an item form Midway USA which was priced at $79. I was referred to Midway UK where the price was now £125. So it may well be the same at Brownells UK....................which is run by the same man; Peter Starley.

G

Edited by Graham M

The added issue here is by getting a friend to post them, you're still liable to fall foul of the law.

Plus- a parcel containing brass for ammo is highly likely to be checked and you could potentially have a knock on the door enquiring why you are receiving them.

On top of that, your friend is breaching ITAR regulations without an export certificate. As silly as it seems, it's arguably not worth the risk.

I think there is also a restriction on the cost of the item as well.

When I ordered a stock from Boyds a couple of years ago it was $97 and therefore they could ship to the UK.

When I looked at another stock a couple of weeks ago the prices had gone up to $126, and as they were now above the $100 threshold..........they can no longer ship to the UK as they would now have to fill in a load of export bumph in order to stay within the legal parameters.

I'm afraid the days have gone when we are able to send off for cheaper items from The States.

As for sending of for items from Brownells in the states; I'm not sure but if they are anything like Midway USA they will refuse to post anything and refer you to Midway.uk. where you will then have to pay £ssssssssssss for $ssssssssssssss. ...........or generally more so.

I wanted an item form Midway USA which was priced at $79. I was referred to Midway UK where the price was now £125. So it may well be the same at Brownells UK....................which is run by the same man; Peter Starley.

G

That is because there is a limited extension in the export regs for low value items which is defined as $100 and only applies to certain components and parts but not actions or ammunition.

Rick

The added issue here is by getting a friend to post them, you're still liable to fall foul of the law.

Plus- a parcel containing brass for ammo is highly likely to be checked and you could potentially have a knock on the door enquiring why you are receiving them.

On top of that, your friend is breaching ITAR regulations without an export certificate. As silly as it seems, it's arguably not worth the risk.

Actually would be perfectly fine on this end. There are no restrictions on receiving or possessing brass here. Yes it would probably get pulled for inspection so you would almost be guaranteed to pay import and vat but nothing illegal. Your friend who mailed them though would be taking on all of the risk.

Rick

Actually would be perfectly fine on this end. There are no restrictions on receiving or possessing brass here. Yes it would probably get pulled for inspection so you would almost be guaranteed to pay import and vat but nothing illegal. Your friend who mailed them though would be taking on all of the risk.

Rick

Absolutely right, but that's not to say it won't draw unwanted attention from the authorities rightly or wrongly, particularly where it's been sent by a private individual and not a company.

The problem with a lot of this stuff is nobody is that sure but the penalties are so draconian that only a fool is going to risk it.

Don't put this stuff in your luggage and think that if they find it you will just get it confiscated, so no big deal. At the very least you will miss your flight while they check it out and it is a Federal offence that carries a prison sentence. It really could get that messy

Edited by Vince Green

Not going to repeat all the very sensible ITAR advice.

Some people are prepared to consolidate orders in the US and then fill in the forms and jump through the hoops. However, it is only economically sensible if you are bringing in large quantities for resale and have someone with their head screwed on in the US who actually knows what they are doing!! I say this because I know two RFDs who are doing just this in order to obtain stuff that they would not normally be able to get or which they would have to pay a lot more for in the UK.

Generally, the days of doing personal imports are sadly over.

A

They already have necessary export licences and checks in place. Another is www.reloadinginternational.com but remember, you will pay Vat on total cost including shipping, and then £10 to Royal Mail as a handling fee.

When you add it up if works out the same as buying in the UK, unless it's exotic it ain't worth it.

I have been buying Starline 9mm Luger brass from Brownells UK, shipped from the US at a good price without any problem. Spend £100 and you get free shipping.

Brownells UK are twice the price!, they're about £12/100 from Brownells in the US or around £10 from Starline directly.

Phew.

Reading all this, I must have been having a really vivid wild dream, when I ordered 20 brass 8 bore cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company. I must have imagined that they suggested to me, they should ship them to a friend of mine in Washington, who in turn posted them to me. I wonder where the cases that I am using came from, and who got the money that came off my debit card?

Phew.

Reading all this, I must have been having a really vivid wild dream, when I ordered 20 brass 8 bore cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company. I must have imagined that they suggested to me, they should ship them to a friend of mine in Washington, who in turn posted them to me. I wonder where the cases that I am using came from, and who got the money that came off my debit card?

Shotshell cases are specifically exempt from ITAR restrictions. They're named as exempt, as are shotshell components.