Large bird of prey I.D.

JDog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Albert and Chris my last post was an ironic one. The bird was quite definitely not a seagull.

haha fair play; that makes more sense given your birdy track record! The mystery continues.

I know twitchers usually report things, and an unusual bird usually gets picked up pretty quickly, but that lammergeier was supposed to have been seen in Belgium, but then managed to get all the way to the Severn Bridge without being picked up before a dog walker happened to stumble into it, so even things that massive can get lost.

keep us updated...

Might have been an escaped Ferruginous Hawk (buzzard) very similar to a Red Tailed Hawk (Buzzard) another American species, I flew one many years ago, a very difficult bird and has more pointed wings than the others of the buzzard family.

Or it could have been a Honey Buzzard ?

Jase.

Edited by jason kaye

Just wanted to resurrect this thread as earlier I visited a local permission with my bino's to look for pigeons, of which there were very few, but after a few minutes I saw an osprey flying over the farm. I watched it for about 10 minutes as it was mobbed by a crow, then a buzzard and then another crow. I drove to where it was heading and watched it turn back and head towards a local reservoir. It was never closer than about 500 yards but it was unmistakably an osprey. Unfortunately it was one of those rare occasions when I didn't have a camera, but I'm heading back that way later so I'll see if it's still there ad get some footage to compare to jdogs sighting!