SxS,s Are they on the up.?

TONY R

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some hesitant start with a single barrel Italian folder, later briefly a Spanish S X S I have shot for over 50 years with British S X S guns. I feel a side by side cant be beat for lightness, quick handling and elegant looks. Trial shots with a variety of O/Us of different makes felt that these guns were clumsy and ungainly, one exception being a 20 bore silver pigeon which felt quite nice. Not having any desire for changable chokes I am quite happy with my current stable of 3 British vintage S XS the youngest dating from 1914.

Blackpowder

Some are; my feeling is that there are many older shooters like myself who realise that the handling and shooting of a hand made gun is a revelation. Also it is a fine reminder of the craftmanship that has been lost to us.

They are certainly a good long term investment, when you consider that you can still find a good hammergun by one of the excellent Birmingham makers for about £1000 to £1500, shoot it for years and lose nothing when you sell it.

When I disposed of my collection, all in superb condition, there was a queue!

I use a lovey victor sarasquita sidekick 26 inched with a Churchill rib model 6ec and also a bernadelli sxs 20 bore also a lovley gun

Victor is heavily choked and the 20 both half and half

If someone offered double the money for what I paid I would not sell

hello full choke, i am going wednesday to look at a victor sarasqueta side lock in that style made 1975 this one is 26inch and 1/4/full says it is in VGC.

I've just put a deposit down on an 1870s (about) hammer gun; damascus, rebounding hammers, side-lever, 30"

It felt special to hold and use

He wasn't interested in my Arietta Crown Sabel as p/ex as he said people want engraved, not plain actions nowadays

K

It just seems strange that one dealer has so many guns of an age that look better than they did when they were new.

Like I say I can only go on my own experience, but I have found him to be honest and good to deal with, and I have no complaints with what I have bought or the money I have paid

hello full choke, i am going wednesday to look at a victor sarasqueta side lock in that style made 1975 this one is 26inch and 1/4/full says it is in VGC.

Keep us posted how you get on, good quality gun especially if you can find a nice one. Fingers crossed

Keep us posted how you get on, good quality gun especially if you can find a nice one. Fingers crossed

hello, well after a hectic drive :rolleyes: i got to the the RFDs home and spent an hour looking over the victor side lock, bores looked good no marks, tight on face and lever worked well with still a stiff spring and closed action with a good sound, fore end good working order, pins good, ejectors very good, safety worked, wood ok no marks as such just a tiny chip by safety, still a lot of blue on action scrolls clean, out side barrels no major marks just some wear past fore end and a few small patches through blueing. all in all ok, did i buy it YES got home and gave it a good clean up/oil where required, polished stock, the LOPs bit short but i shall use a slip on pad for now, will try out tomorrow, cheers

hello, well after a hectic drive :rolleyes: i got to the the RFDs home and spent an hour looking over the victor side lock, bores looked good no marks, tight on face and lever worked well with still a stiff spring and closed action with a good sound, fore end good working order, pins good, ejectors very good, safety worked, wood ok no marks as such just a tiny chip by safety, still a lot of blue on action scrolls clean, out side barrels no major marks just some wear past fore end and a few small patches through blueing. all in all ok, did i buy it YES got home and gave it a good clean up/oil where required, polished stock, the LOPs bit short but i shall use a slip on pad for now, will try out tomorrow, cheers

oh it is like the one i had many years ago except this is the side lock version

Great news, post some pics if you can. Do you mind me asking which dealer you got it from?

hello, well was out for a few hours trying the above, gun worked well !!!!!!!!! i didnt :lol: 2 pigeon and a crow 8 shots!!!!!! :hmm: must try harder :whistling: