Morning on laid barley

Harnser

Been watching a field of barley that due to the recent storms has been laid around one of the headlands . Got there just after 7am and was set up by about 7..30 am .

This type of shooting in my opinion requires a magnet . I very rarely use a magnet these days ,but will always use one on laid barley . I set the magnet up 15 good paces directly in front of the hide on a very small piece of laid barley that was next to a fairly large piece of laid barley ,about 50 yards by 30 yards . This was my killing zone big enough to drop the birds into . I always discipline my self to only shoot birds over my killing zone . I never put lots of decoys in the killing zone and only put 10 funds out , all in the killing zone .

The magnet really did the business and birds started to come in to the decoys within about 10 minutes and I dropped my first bird well inside my killing zone . I finished up with 33 picked , three lost in the barley and about five that made it off the field . A grand total of 54 shells shot . 54 good opportunitys . I could have shot at a lot more if I shot at the birds outside the killing zone . I just don't see the point in shooting birds that you have very little chance of picking up . I would rather leave them for another day ,and any how I don't want to tramp through the standing barley .

Harnser

Nice one. Totally agree with what you said below.

I could have shot at a lot more if I shot at the birds outside the killing zone . I just don't see the point in shooting birds that you have very little chance of picking up . I would rather leave them for another day ,and any how I don't want to tramp through the standing barley .

Nice one. Totally agree with what you said below.

I could have shot at a lot more if I shot at the birds outside the killing zone . I just don't see the point in shooting birds that you have very little chance of picking up . I would rather leave them for another day ,and any how I don't want to tramp through the standing barley .

Agreed.

Well done Harnser.

You certainly have to pick your shots shooting on laid cereals and for me shooting only at ones you stand a good chance of picking is the only way.

Unfortunately not all on here feel the same and every year around this time we start getting the 376 shot 4 picked type posts .

I won't shoot them if I carn't pick them.

It is a waste, but its needed more than ever this time of the year to protect the crops once ripe, my farmer wouldn't be to happy if I wasn't having a go and with all the people desperate for land to shoot would soon be allowed witch long term affects my shooting perms

Edited by Shotguneddy