Trap gun in the field

Joe D

After watching Stevo's great video of him shooting pigeons with a trap gun. I thought i would give it a try. Being new to trap shooting and purchasing a Browning GTI 32" fixed choke trap gun i thought i would see how i got on with it in the field.

My plan was to finish work around 3 and then set up to decoy some crows, but with all good plans that didn't happen. Work ran on much longer than i expected. But not to be deterred i got home and decided to just take the dog out a walk and if anything presented itself then have a go. I managed 3 woodies for 3 shells which isn't a great test for using a trap gun in the field but i was happy enough.

Any other fellow shooters ever use a trap gun in the field?

20160706_1854231_zpsrmm2ekun.jpg

So seeing stevo's trap gun, out in the field do you have to compensate, is the point of aim different as I take it the high rig is for rising targets.

Stevo's trap gun has a high rib on it. mine doesn't. But in my opinion trap guns shoot slightly high anyway for (as you pointed out) rising targets. when you pattern a trap gun it should shoot roughly 70/30 high. So taking that in to consideration when i was aiming at the bird i kept the bead below the bird the whole way and pulled through as normal.

I have recently started using a fixed choke trap gun for all of my pigeon shooting and i can't see myself going back to anything else. The decoying tecnique can be adapted to suit the tighter chokes and you have the ability to taken on longer targets when needed.

1oz no 7 trap loads from gamebore pattern lovely through mine at 40 yds.

The downside i have found is the 30" barrels are a bit clumbsy in the hide.

I have recently started using a fixed choke trap gun for all of my pigeon shooting and i can't see myself going back to anything else. The decoying tecnique can be adapted to suit the tighter chokes and you have the ability to taken on longer targets when needed.

1oz no 7 trap loads from gamebore pattern lovely through mine at 40 yds.

The downside i have found is the 30" barrels are a bit clumbsy in the hide.

Great stuff :good:

Most people don't use a trap gun for shooting over decoys as they are generally too tightly choked, also they tend to be on the heavy side, you want to minimise the amount of weight you have to lug around.

Cat.

Reading articles in Fieldsports it appears that alot of the top pigeon shots use trap guns, Will Garfit, Keman trap gun, Peter Schwerdt, Mk38 trap gun, Peter Theobald Perazzi trap gun, Jim Albone MK38, to name 4

Reading articles in Fieldsports it appears that alot of the top pigeon shots use trap guns, Will Garfit, Keman trap gun, Peter Schwerdt, Mk38 trap gun, Peter Theobald Perazzi trap gun, Jim Albone MK38, to name 4

Doh..I didn't realise the OP was an expert shot, like the Guys you've mentioned..? :hmm:

I certainly wouldn't recommend a Trap Gun as being ideal for a novice shot over decoys, they are too tightly choked, fact.

Cat.

Doh..I didn't realise the OP was an expert shot, like the Guys you've mentioned..? :hmm:

I certainly wouldn't recommend a Trap Gun as being ideal for a novice shot over decoys, they are too tightly choked, fact.

Cat.

lol i am far from an expert shot like the guys mentioned, but have been shooting in the field for around 15 years so i wouldn't say i am a novice either. However i am a novice to Trap shooting.

:good:

If it feels right when you shoot it crack on, as for having tighter chokes have a look at a few high pheasant guns and see what choking their using 3/4 and full normally. if your choke is tight you either kill the bird stone dead or miss completely, not wing it with a stray pellet. Just my opinion and no offence meant.

Kev1gun

If it feels right when you shoot it crack on, as for having tighter chokes have a look at a few high pheasant guns and see what choking their using 3/4 and full normally. if your choke is tight you either kill the bird stone dead or miss completely, not wing it with a stray pellet. Just my opinion and no offence meant.

Kev1gun

:good:

I used a trap gun for years, on the marsh, pigeon decoying and rabbit shooting. I got on well with it.

Peter Theobald's trap gun doesn't have much of a rib and is lightly choked usually.

Anyone who thinks that using very tight chokes ends up with a miss or stone dead birds is mistaken.