Magpies on countryfile

Rimfireboy

Missed the programme, but was Countryfile promoting this as a 'great thing to do' or highlighting in the error in the conservationist's actions?

I think it was here that I was reading about someone who 'resuced' urban foxes and was dropping them in the countryside, local farmer couldn't understand how there were so many foxes in the area.

Unbelievable - they were rescuing woodies, rabbits, magpies, jackdaws, deer, foxes etc. It would not surprise me if they had the odd rat or mouse liking in their cages. Farmers in that area must be tearing their hair out.

I fail to see how someone saving the life of the odd wild animal is doing much harm I have nothing against people doing pest control killing birds foxes etc but it seems to be that some of you think that if an animal/bird is not being farmed for food its ok for you to shoot it.

Some of us see an animal that has been hurt and feel the need to help it not just kill it because we do not like it when we see pictures of people who have been out shooting all day and killed hundreds of birds saving the odd one and making that person feel good is hardly a crime.

I fail to see how someone saving the life of the odd wild animal is doing much harm I have nothing against people doing pest control killing birds foxes etc but it seems to be that some of you think that if an animal/bird is not being farmed for food its ok for you to shoot it.

Some of us see an animal that has been hurt and feel the need to help it not just kill it because we do not like it when we see pictures of people who have been out shooting all day and killed hundreds of birds saving the odd one and making that person feel good is hardly a crime.

There are plenty of species that could do with human help, but magpies aren't one of them. Same with foxes.

Edited by iano

I am always amazed how a little kindness given to injured or sick wildlife by people who care invariably results in name calling and ridicule by the gun owning brigade.

Do you people dislike wildlife so much, that everything you see must be killed.

A sad world indeed.

:good: +1

I am always amazed how a little kindness given to injured or sick wildlife by people who care invariably results in name calling and ridicule by the gun owning brigade.

A sad world indeed.

I take the point Charlie but often get confused about the humanity of treating sick wild animals?

My point would be that sometimes, the stresses suffered and endured by sick wild animals before and during treatment are inhumane?

Sometime it seems that the emotional need of the carers far exceeds that of the animal?

It begs the question at what point in the capture and treatment of an animal genetically programmed to flee does it's treatment go from humane to inhumane?

Certainly of concern in foxes and deer?

Edited by old man

You ARE winding me up, aren't you ???? Now I really know why I have not had a TV for the last 30yrs. It gives me great pleasure to think none of my hard earned cash goes to supporting these idiots.

My wife reported she saw another in our wood this morning. It will give me even greater pleasure to see that one die. My wood is now crammed full of songbirds since I started taking out the corvids and grey squirrels four years ago. Evidence enough of the damage they do.

You ARE winding me up, aren't you ???? Now I really know why I have not had a TV for the last 30yrs. It gives me great pleasure to think none of my hard earned cash goes to supporting these idiots.

My wife reported she saw another in our wood this morning. It will give me even greater pleasure to see that one die. My wood is now crammed full of songbirds since I started taking out the corvids and grey squirrels four years ago. Evidence enough of the damage they do.

I think the wind up comes from you sir.

Having not watched the program you feel informed enough to comment on a program segment featuring a couple who had started a wildlife rescue centre and unselfishly devoted their spare time and the time of their many helpers in taking in and looking after every conceivable manner of wildlife brought into them by members of the public. It would be a very sad world if we did not have people like that.

I'm afraid that I care not a josh about your view, the view of someone who in their own words, derives great pleasure in seeing a bird die.

A sad world indeed.

It is not really an issue of showing kindness to sick or injured animals is it? the issue is, what's going on in the heads of these people? What make believe world do they live in in their minds?.......Peter Rabbit? Bambi? Wind in the willows? The anthropomorphising of animals has distorted the way the public sees wildlife management, shooters, guns and shooting.....now we are seen as a tolerated (for the time being) evil rather than a neccesary part of the wildlife management/conservation process.

Shooting people know this and this is why these people are ridiculed by the "gun owning brigade".

Very few song birds at sea, very few song birds in the desert, very few song birds 1000 yards up in space, not the right sort of environment for them, perhaps if us humans stopped dropping concrete every where and gave the birds back their environment (and took the blame for their demise instead of pointing the finger at other animals) we might have a few more to enjoy.