Recycling farce.

Scully

Mel b3 - How can you be so certain what happens to the green waste in my town when you don't know where I live?

Do you know what income my Council, or any other Council receive per tonne from the sale of all these carefully recycled materials, cardboard, timber, glass plastic bottles etc?

as i said at the very beginning , i cant be specific about every local authority as i dont have that information , i can only go by the standard industry procedures and the law.

i dont know how much your local authority generates from its sales but if you do a search youll find it easily enough , i could easily find out how much my local authority generates as this information is freely available to all.

In all honesty I think it's the easiest problem in the world to solve. Treat your Binmen well i.e. offer them a cold drink in the heat and tip well at Christmas and you should find that putting your dead Grandmother's corpse in the recycling barely raises an eyebrow.

a cool drink is always very welcome , but i hardly ever take dead grannies these days.

NOPE :whistling: And as for bribing an officer of the crown have you seen the amount of stuff most Binmen take home and sell on Ebay?

i work with around 300 binmen and recyclers so i see exactly how much gets taken home and sold on ebay , how many do you work with each day ?.

In my town the glass is driven to Bedford (50miles?) where the council gets charged £70 a load to have it pulverised to go into building blocks. Plastic, they are currently "looking for a buyer" since the company who bought it went bust about 18 months ago. Paper and cardboard they can't recycle or incinerate because the coloured inks contain heavy metals.

Recycling works if you have an end game. If they want to recycle they have to get in at the beginning of the process rather than try to make sense of tons of unnecessary packaging.

paper and card is recycled by the local authority that i work for , plastics are a very different matter , the goal post seem to move daily so its a constant game of catch up.

were pretty carp at recycling in this country , as you can see from this thread , their is still a lot of resistance , but , well get better , we have no choice.

He'd be the exception to the rule. The ones I've seen in Cheshire abs west yorkshire have all been ******.

we obviously have a far better class of scrap man in the black country lol.

Edited by mel b3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are for chips to be fitted , its so that your bin can be matched to your property , eventually , each bin will be weighed as its emptied , you will be charged by the kilo and the bill will be sent to you at your address , youll be free to put as much green waste and recycling into your bin as you wish as youll be paying for it , recycling your own waste correctly and closing the lid of your bin might then seem to be a better option , we can all kick and scream and threaten the binmen lol , but , this is still going to happen , get with it or be prepared to spend your hard earned cash on the alternatives.

mine had one of those tags in guess what it found its way into the waste truck.

and when they cant be bothered to take the recycle stuff it goes in the land fill bin,,,,no problem.

these are for chips to be fitted , its so that your bin can be matched to your property , eventually , each bin will be weighed as its emptied , you will be charged by the kilo and the bill will be sent to you at your address , youll be free to put as much green waste and recycling into your bin as you wish as youll be paying for it , recycling your own waste correctly and closing the lid of your bin might then seem to be a better option , we can all kick and scream and threaten the binmen lol , but , this is still going to happen , get with it or be prepared to spend your hard earned cash on the alternatives.

How are they going to cope with flats? The flats at the back of us are mixed private (80%?) and council (20%?).

Edited by Vince Green

Mel b3

How do you find out how much the council gets paid for our carefully recycled materials and where this mythical giant compost heap is?.

Is the freedom of information act appropriate here?

By the way the scrap man I use has all the correct licences etc. and his dad has a farm that I shoot pigeons on.

Edited by fern01

Mel b3

How do you find out how much the council gets paid for our carefully recycled materials and where this mythical giant compost heap is?.

Is the freedom of information act appropriate here?

most of it will be freely available on your local authority website , if it isnt on there just ask them , most things to do with local authority have to be transparent.

The bin men are all agency staff, hardly officers of the crown, we haven't had council bin men for years. The company that collects the rubbish is a contractor too. It was all outsourced.

Bungs are how you get things taken away. They will take anything for a 'consideration' and its cheaper than taking the time to go to the dump yourself.

When we were clearing my aunt's house they took what would have been a skipload for £20 and they sorted through it and put lots of things in the cab

you feel free to carry on breaking the law .

ill retain my integrity if its all the same to you.

mine had one of those tags in guess what it found its way into the waste truck.

and when they cant be bothered to take the recycle stuff it goes in the land fill bin,,,,no problem.

its your bin so its your choice mate , just be aware that things are changing.

How are they going to cope with flats? The flats at the back of us are mixed private (80%?) and council (20%?).

i cant honestly answer that one as i dont have that information , im guessing that charges will pretty much stay the same as they are now.

Round here the skip divers are all Hungarian, haven't got a clue why

lots of romanian scrap collectors around these parts these days.

When we are charged by weight - what's to stop me "accidently" putting loads of my rubbish in a neighbours bin?. And as for working on a council tip or with Binmen - not anymore but have several friends that still do.

when it happens , my bin will have a lock fitted and it will be taken off when the binmen arrive and locked again when they leave .

youll be free to fly tip in your neighbours bin and let them pick up your bill for your waste , not only would it make you a criminal , it would make you a very special kind of neighbour indeed lol , but crack on , its your life , live it your way.

i wonder how youd feel if your neighbour did the same to you ?.

Edited by mel b3

attachicon.gifIMG_20160812_074035.jpg

and another

does anyone have an opinion on this ? , this should be shredded and ploughed into farmers fields.

we use yellow tickets on contaminated bins , this week i dished out.

monday , 60 ish

tuesday , 40 ish

wednesday , 30 ish

thursday , 30 ish

friday , 35 exactly

their was also eight other crews dishing out a similar number of tickets , i reckon that we catch about half of the contaminated bins but loads slip through the net.

we all get to share the costs that these bone idle people cause , i deeply resent having to pay for them , i put out clean and un contaminated green waste but those bone idle dirty scrotes just chuck anything in .

Keep it up Mel,

You have poked your head above the parapet but you are holding your own at the moment :good:

Incidentley we don't have bins :|

We have nowhere to put them.....

We get bags off the council once a month, 10 green, 10 black,

We get 2 collections a week, 1 each for the green and black, the council are trying to get us to use the big industrial wheelie bins and put them beside the garages in the middle of the street, (Old colliery houses, really long terraces), we are against it though as it will just cause littering problems but we will lose eventually

Other parts of where I live have places for bins so get them, they get green bin emptied one week, black the other......

I'm afraid I'm with Mel on this, it's your bin so use them correctly and it would be problem solved......rather than it's always someone else s fault :ninja:

:shaun:

hiya mike.

a human isnt physically able to break one of those lids , its the lifting gear that does the damage (its also one of the reasons why lids have to be closed).

we have had massive problems with bins being damaged and having to be replaced , in fact i would say that 90% of the bins i empty are damaged , local authorities thought that plastic bins would last forever , the reality is that most of them are scrap after about ten years.

Mel its lucky if my bin is half full when i put it out so the lid cannot be open..

Keep it up Mel,

You have poked your head above the parapet but you are holding your own at the moment :good:

Incidentley we don't have bins :|

We have nowhere to put them.....

We get bags off the council once a month, 10 green, 10 black,

We get 2 collections a week, 1 each for the green and black, the council are trying to get us to use the big industrial wheelie bins and put them beside the garages in the middle of the street, (Old colliery houses, really long terraces), we are against it though as it will just cause littering problems but we will lose eventually

Other parts of where I live have places for bins so get them, they get green bin emptied one week, black the other......

I'm afraid I'm with Mel on this, it's your bin so use them correctly and it would be problem solved......rather than it's always someone else s fault :ninja:

I was talking to my supervisor earlier today , he knows that I believe that education for the public is the way forward with waste disposal , and I told him that I was coming on to pw tonight to try and dispel a few myths and hopefully give out a few facts to try to help people to understand and feel less angry over the situation.

He laughed out loud and told me that I was xxxxxxx into the wind lol.

In the borogh that I work , we have quite a few areas like yours , they were built when transport was a horse and cart , not a big hgv , if the residents and local authority can get their heads together , a workable solution can generally be found thatll keep everyone happy ish .

Mel its lucky if my bin is half full when i put it out so the lid cannot be open..

Sorry mike , I should have explained more clearly mate , sometimes the lids can bounce open with the bouncing of the lifting gear , most often this makes no difference, but sometimes it can cause the lid to catch on the automatic arm that moves into place as the bin is raised , this is generally what rips lids off mate.

bin drivers are subject to exactly the same road traffic rules as you , a scrap of paper here and there cant be helped , but it should be nothing more than that , the old fashioned waste paper collection vehicles were terrible for spilling waste , modern vehicles have stopped most of this though

Around here, (that means most of the local villages) the binmen drop loads more rubbish than they ever used to, in fact they never used to drop much at all. I've heard all the old comments of how rubbish was left everywhere when the binmen came but I never saw it to be true. They don't drop much now, it just blows out of their wagons because the flaps are open.

As for the working on the side of the road, I get the fact they have to be there but they could make a bit more effort to get on the side rather than just block everybody.

I am amazed you made such an effort to reply to everyone, well done you. :good:

Mel,

It's not the fact that bin wagons can't get down the street,

It's a full size wagon that collects the bags,

It's the fact that the houses physically have nowhere to store them, it was ok when we actually had bin sized bins, there is a place for them but not for the height of a wheels bin, on and only room for 1 bin,

A lot of the houses have bricked up the bin storage place as it is part of the kitchen on the inside, if they brick it up it gives then extra storage inside

Keep it up Mel, you're doing a grand job!

Mates wife has had a response from council saying that bins should be placed as near to the kerb side as it is safe to do.

She replied saying that she would be nearing that in mind and would be 'monitoring' where the bin men replace the empty bins.

In support of our bin man who empties our work wheelie skip type bin; he comes to us from a very very big local commercial caravan site where he has often up to 60 of those things to empty by himself, many of which exceed the specified maximum weight. He does this on his own!

Only once did one of ours fail to lift ( someone had half filled it with soul ) and we had to give the lifting mechanism a hand. 😊

Sorry mike , I should have explained more clearly mate , sometimes the lids can bounce open with the bouncing of the lifting gear , most often this makes no difference, but sometimes it can cause the lid to catch on the automatic arm that moves into place as the bin is raised , this is generally what rips lids off mate.

Right but my argument is they broke it why should i have to pay for replacement .

If i had caused the damage then that would be different i would expect to pay and would do so

but i will not pay for damage they have done with the wagon it belongs to them.