Degreasing Agents for Gun Parts

Wingman

Guys

I have an old Auto-5 project gun that I am going to start a tear down and clean up on. I would normally use pure Acetone as a degreaser but its pretty nasty stuff so I wondered if anyone had used anything else. I was thinking about engine degreaser, Gunk or Jizer type products I cant see a reason why these cant be used but wanted to check.

Any views appreciated!

If you can find any old style Parker Hale gun degreaser its brilliant, mainly because its tryclorethaline (sorry if spelt wrong, used it for that many years its fuddled the grey matter....) really good, but dont breathe it in, if you do the pink and green elephants will sing you a song.........

Can you buy it in larger amounts than those little yellow tins?

Don't think so, buy you can buy bulk of these on ebay, I know because that's what I use. I use it for /everything/ -- from label removal to chrome surface cleaning in the kitchen, Naphta is one fo the very few Godly Substances, with Blue Tak and Accetone :-)

why is it that every time something like this is asked you get queue of comments about random stuff people would use. guns are just metal machines the same as any other piece of machinery no one would consider cleaning a car or lorry engine down with lighter fuel or acetone or other exotic random chemicals. any degreaser will work. the only considerations are that you wear some sort of glove and eye protection and be aware of fume inhalation and fire risk. Recently my Berretta started to not fire the second barrel when one dot was selected. I suspected that the unit was a bit dry so I stripped it down to the base action, put it in a thickish plastic bag and half filled it with unleaded petrol. This was put into the ultrasound machine for about half an hour, The result was a bag of black petrol and a cleaned action. just use the simple cheap option and don't treat stuff like it is going to disintegrate or be wrecked.