Chokes for Steel Shot

grahamch

Apologies if this has been raised before......

Have been fowling for years and am running out of tungsten and hevishot.

Just bought a Maxus and am after advice on which choke to use for steel shot. Will be using Eley Lightenings in 3s and 1s and Mammoths in 1s and BBs.

I dont want to buy an after market choke but understand steel patterns a tighter than other shot types.

Which of the tubes that came with the Maxus would be best to use?

TIA

Edited by grahamch

+1 on the 1/2/modified "standard" choke.

However:

I have a Winny SX3, which is supposed to be very similar, and this patterns mammoth 42g 3.5 inchers much better with an aftermarket choke (Kicks High Flyer Modified)

As a side question:

My Remmy 11-87 came with a "standard" choke which is marked as "Full Steel or Lead"

As its one of the newer 11-87s with a 3 inch chamber, do I dare shoot high speed ( gamebore) 3 inch No3 shot through it?

All the best for the 1st,

I too have an sx3 in which I usually use a Kicks modified high flyer choke......the OP implied he wanted to use the flush chokes supplied and didn't want to buy an aftermarket choke....I answered on this basis, I am aware many people use tighter chokes than half with extended chokes, but I would stay with half with the manufacturers flush chokes, especially with large steel shot!

Why do you not want to use an aftermarket choke? The effect in increased killing power when using big shot is astounding and worth every penny. I used to use an HLS Undertaker .700 choke ( a shade under full lead choke) with 3.5 inch BBB for forshore geese,

I used Gamebore Super steel 4's through an old 101 of mine for years, for inland ducks and geese. The chokes were aftermarket quarter and half Teagues, proofed for steel, but the gun wasn't.

I understand shoreline fowl may be much higher, of course, but can vouch for both the chokes and the cartridges.....and the gun for that matter. :)

As anser 2 says aftermarket choke even in super tight constriction offer those who chose to use them advantages well worth the investment.

But in the stock tubes i think i would use the MOD i use the mod tube in an old B80 magnum, drop in mobil tube gun i use now and again its mainly a pigeon gun, but i use it decoying duck now and again, the mod does ok and as i cant get any aftermarket tubes for this gun, i have no option and use the MOD.

Why do you not want to use an aftermarket choke? The effect in increased killing power when using big shot is astounding and worth every penny. I used to use an HLS Undertaker .700 choke ( a shade under full lead choke) with 3.5 inch BBB for forshore geese,

Largley as am am skint after buying the Maxus!

Edited by grahamch

Bring them in yourselves thats the only way, i have a friend in manatoba gets me what i want, but some times companys will help you get them.

the dc choke you have is really a jebs with their name on it pretty good choke, ive a pair in my 425 waterfowl pattern well.

Yeah I seen that but£99 for 1 choke is a bit more than I would pay,my choke comes out and gets cleaned and oiled after every hunt so don't think it will be a problem tonyr

Im just not into pattetrmasters but thats just me, i dont like fords either or BMWs. ;):yes:

Me either tbh out of curiosity what chokes ur favourite for ducks? I live In Northern Ireland and gamebore r easiest for me to get I shoot supersteel 3's and mammoths 3 and 1's

Run the jebs... The DC in your case one of the best ive seen in INV plus barrels, you cant ignore the Kicks high flyers either, they work goodin inv plus the ports check the wad a little i feel and help them pattern a bit tighter than their constriction might sujest they would.

But for you realisticly i think i would leave the DC in myself it bwill do all you need.

Edited by TONY R

My duck commander choke is made by briley it's ported and steel full,had it 6 years now,think ur right I'll save my money and buy more red wine instead lol,indeed not long now hope you all have a super and safe season

OK crossed lines in afraid, DC are pushing jebs at the moment thought it would have been a newer one sorry.

You own the briley just stick with that Brileys are good Generaly in the back bore brownings.