Went to look at a car today...

Hendrix's rifle

So, as the title suggests I went too look at a car today. A 2006 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s. Supposedly there was nothing wrong with the car, just wanted air con regassing. Not a problem I thought. Rang the fella (2 hours away) to be told that there is a wheel bearings on its way and the mirror adjustment on the n/s didn't work. Not too bad, just knock down the price. Well, got to the car, lovely Inside and out, not a mark on it however that wasn't the problem. Supposedly had 4 new tyres, had one on the front o/s and the o/s rear. Wernt a matching pair either? The n/s/forums was as bald as me 😂 with the rear being cracked badly. 2 new shockers on the back, 3 years ago maybe? Not a couple of weeks ago as he stated. New drums fitted with old bearings? With one of them gone. Wiper linkage knackered along with a few other bits and bobs. I'd still pay £1000 for this I thought. Took it 250 yards up the road, accelerated and let off to hear the most horrific noise I've heard in a while. Diff bearings in the box on there way out! Took the car back and said not a chance! So from what sounded like the perfect car turned out to be a complete dog! 4 hours wasted along with £20 of fuel, £15 for a hpi check and the aggro with the insurance after!! Why can't people just be honest?

Nightmare buying cars i hate selling vehichles too, you can end up out of pocket easy and not always from faults with the new car.

Take me this week.

1 sold my T5 van

2 have old peugeot 307 hdi SW under shed i was going to tax up.

3 decided to get a jeep got 400 quid freelander i heard about.

4 welded it up tidied it up

5 last night lad comes home from university in scotland.

6 after tea hes out back by nine with a mate sells his honda civic to his mate.

7 pays off his mum the cash he borrowed to help him buy the civic.

8 inssures the freelander ,online then taxes it then taxes me the old 307. and all this using my credit card. :no::lol:

its not even funny he banked a few quid out of selling the honda and hes paid his way i supose but im right back where i was last week. :lol: It all happened so fast. :):lol:

Edited by TONY R

I've read that before :lol: :lol: sorta like that except all the things wrong supposedly wernt... not like I'm a mechanic now is it :lol:

Nightmare buying cars i hate selling vehichles too, you can end up out of pocket easy and not always from faults with the new car.

Take me this week.

1 sold my T5 van

8 inssures the freelander ,online then taxes it then taxes me the old 307. and all this using my credit card. :no::lol:

its not even funny he banked a few quid out of selling the honda and hes paid his way i supose but im right back where i was last week. :lol: It all happened so fast. :):lol:

:lol: sounds it!! Light at the end of the tunnel, I found one for sale 10 mins from where I work and for some reason the insurance is half the price? Been through it 4 times and alls fine so happy days :D

Take me this week.

1 sold my T5 van

Looking at selling my T5 and if I'm honest it's worrying with all the scams out there.

Buying a new T6 but vw don't want mine at 4 years old

If you're travelling more than an hour I find it helps to be really clear that if the car is not as described and is a dog then I will not be happy.

Also, never buy a car from an 0208 phone number, someone who says 'bruv' or if the car was any good (or as good as they promise on the phone or in the advert) then odds on they would have found someone in their family to take it.

Looking at selling my T5 and if I'm honest it's worrying with all the scams out there.

Buying a new T6 but vw don't want mine at 4 years old

Get me through thois winter wildfowling woith this 02 peugeot 307 Estate and i think im looking at a mercedes vito next spring, im missing the room the freelander was small after being used to the T5. We will strugle in a car four of us if we go fowling no sleep in the car overnighters now. :lol:

Get me through thois winter wildfowling woith this 02 peugeot 307 Estate and i think im looking at a mercedes vito next spring, im missing the room the freelander was small after being used to the T5. We will strugle in a car four of us if we go fowling no sleep in the car overnighters now. :lol:

Vito ??? Really. Rust on wheels ;)

Mines a kombi 6 seater so it's superb for seaside runs with the kids

Vito ??? Really. Rust on wheels ;)

Mines a kombi 6 seater so it's superb for seaside runs with the kids

Ours was a van but back seats and later model style lining inside was clean and tidy we used to go all over in it on holidays and fowling trips i kept the propex heater i had in it for the next van.

Reason i fancy a vito is sure they rot but not structural in many cases, sprinters are a bit like this they get scabby but still solid enough.

Vitos are a good drive i used one about a year ago borowed off a mate cant remember the model, it was an old ex fleet van grey with like diagonal white safety markers running along the lower pannels ellectric board maybe, was a flyer and i thought it cornered well.

Dont seem to hold their money like VWs which are silly money and thats why when i had chance to move mine i did.

Ours was a van but back seats and later model style lining inside was clean and tidy we used to go all over in it on holidays and fowling trips i kept the propex heater i had in it for the next van.

Reason i fancy a vito is sure they rot but not structural in many cases, sprinters are a bit like this they get scabby but still solid enough.

Vitos are a good drive i used one about a year ago borowed off a mate cant remember the model, it was an old ex fleet van grey with like diagonal white safety markers running along the lower pannels ellectric board maybe, was a flyer and i thought it cornered well.

Dont seem to hold their money like VWs which are silly money and thats why when i had chance to move mine i did.

If you decide on a vw tho mines available jan/feb ;)

There has been stuff in one of the motor trade publications about people using AIRB+B to get temporary addresses from which they sell dodgy cars to unwary punters.

Why buy a car from a private advert, no end of problems, not just with the cars. "Ah well they are cheaper than a dealer" Really?

Sure there are dodgy dealers too but you do have some redress

Edited by Vince Green

I know exactly where your coming from mate a few weeks ago I decided to change the faithful xtrail that's had LOADS done to it for an automatic as my back problem is getting worse and affecting my left leg .................fast forward there was a range rover p38 diesel auto for sale on one of the landy forums it looked mint in the pictures had a private plate on which was inc just had mot some new parts fitted ect contacted the guy via email first then by phone ..........so taking him on his word that there was not a problem anywhere on the vehicle [even the head lining wasn,t sagging] I arranged for a good mate to take me from Newcastle down to 5 miles away from heathrow got there the rangey looked mint sitting on his drive had a quick look round the top outside and in mmmmmm I thought needs a damn god valet but that's nothing really so out with my overalls and away underneath vehicle condition was good no rot that I could see worked from rear towards front that's when I start finding faults 2 of them were actually mot fails [i,m a mot tester] bad leak from power steering pipe split gaitor on front drive shaft along with engine oil leak took it for a drive ......put it in D and away we go .............I,m still waiting for it to change gear ............ no matter what I did it would not change up ............get back to his house and tell him and get reply of " its been like that for a while now but I only use for short trips and the guy down the road who knows about cars says it only needs an oil and filter changed in the box" ............that's when I said " thanks for waisting my day and costing me £80 " his reply was... what does that mean your not going to buy it then...........nope ..........make me an offer on then........... nope got back into my mates car and left before I did something I would regret ..........................

I know exactly where your coming from mate a few weeks ago I decided to change the faithful xtrail that's had LOADS done to it for an automatic as my back problem is getting worse and affecting my left leg .................fast forward there was a range rover p38 diesel auto for sale on one of the landy forums it looked mint in the pictures had a private plate on which was inc just had mot some new parts fitted ect contacted the guy via email first then by phone ..........so taking him on his word that there was not a problem anywhere on the vehicle [even the head lining wasn,t sagging] I arranged for a good mate to take me from Newcastle down to 5 miles away from heathrow got there the rangey looked mint sitting on his drive had a quick look round the top outside and in mmmmmm I thought needs a damn god valet but that's nothing really so out with my overalls and away underneath vehicle condition was good no rot that I could see worked from rear towards front that's when I start finding faults 2 of them were actually mot fails [i,m a mot tester] bad leak from power steering pipe split gaitor on front drive shaft along with engine oil leak took it for a drive ......put it in D and away we go .............I,m still waiting for it to change gear ............ no matter what I did it would not change up ............get back to his house and tell him and get reply of " its been like that for a while now but I only use for short trips and the guy down the road who knows about cars says it only needs an oil and filter changed in the box" ............that's when I said " thanks for waisting my day and costing me £80 " his reply was... what does that mean your not going to buy it then...........nope ..........make me an offer on then........... nope got back into my mates car and left before I did something I would regret ..........................

Sounds about right:lol: either way, picked one up a lot closer to home, 17 miles away. The guy was honest from the start, mint condition with only a couple of bits that need doing to it. Low milage and he bought it from new :) happy days

If you're travelling more than an hour I find it helps to be really clear that if the car is not as described and is a dog then I will not be happy.

Also, never buy a car from an 0208 phone number, someone who says 'bruv' or if the car was any good (or as good as they promise on the phone or in the advert) then odds on they would have found someone in their family to take it.

Add to that certain parts of Essex in particular Canvey Island! Seen some proper dodgy second hand cheap cars there

Sounds about right:lol: either way, picked one up a lot closer to home, 17 miles away. The guy was honest from the start, mint condition with only a couple of bits that need doing to it. Low milage and he bought it from new :) happy days

I ended up with a 2.7crd grand Cherokee ltd from a guy who lived a couple of doors away from my sister down in kent .

he had owned it from new so It came with a full service history below average miles ...all the toys work and I love it .

apart from on my third day of owning it some so & so bumped it in the car park and ******** off leaving a nice big dent in the rear bumper

here she is

post-12398-0-71776400-1475657435_thumb.jpg

Edited by hodge911