Member Gallery

Teal

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do take our ferreting seriously, doing a good job has kept us some first rate pigeon shooting as well. Only 22 in that bag, average sort of morning really, had just over 380 so far this season and expect to get about the same again before the end. Best morning so far was 41 bunnies, had 62 in one weekend and that was out of just one field, they've come back in force from surrounding farms to such an extent that we've got to do them again.

Here's a 30 bunny bag, you can count em easier on this pic :oops:

post-11-1106250532.jpg

It can be hard work but we still find time for a bit of banter, we do it seriously but it is a hobby rather than our jobs. Guess you can only catch or shoot the rabbits you have on your patch, maybe we are just fortunate to have some good ground. That said we've ferreted a hedge on one farm where we have permission and caught good bags despite seeing recent net peg holes and evidence of people walking over the burys.

Some go out and catch just enough for the pot, we are expected to do a job of clearing them to prevent crop damage. None of ours go to waste, I make bunny burgers, stews and have had bunny curry for the last couple of nights, it's great meat, low fat and very underrated. Any that we don't eat or feed to the ferrets and dogs get given to OAP's, last of all if any are left they go to the game dealer to offset some of the costs. Pity we couldn't sell them straight to the restaurant trade or butchers.

If you know of anyone in South Northants interested in buying some prime gutted bunnies do let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Or these ere rabbits neither. 15 today, was a bit slow but lovely warm day and chance to dry the nets from Tuesday when we only got 18.

This is "Lil Rooster" with a big bad ferret called Ungdoy (apparently it's South African for mongrel so my girlfriend tells me, he's got black eyes and is half poley and half ferret) Friendly as you like but when he gets on a rabbit all hell breaks loose.

post-11-1107459672.jpg