Creeping control of language

grrclark

OK, a fresh can of worms: perhaps the Brexit vote was the first sign that the people have had enough. Enough of being told how to think and what they can say. Enough of being controlled. Enough of being lectured to by the hand wringing liberals.

Once free of Europe and many of their ridiculous laws we (UK) can start to "tell it like it is".

Let's face it, we who voted for Brexit are usually called bigots, ignorant and worse by the Remoaners!

Chris, I think that part of the 'populist' movement as it seems to be called is a kick back against this nanny liberalism, being told what we should think and what we should feel offended by.

Not just Brexit, but widespread throught the westernised and developed world.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say, it's already happening here, my GF's 16 year old son is fully indoctrinated in every 'ism.

Fascinating isn't it.

The scary thing is this is happening here and now, the same forces at play. Not just in a uni' in very liberal Canada, but in our most esteemed uni's our world class centres of academic excellence.

It is also being pushed into primary schools now. The time when the young minds of our future are most impressionable and this is the message they will be taught.

You're not boys and girls you're "cisgendered" there is no he or she there is only "ze".

Had i read that article a few years back I would have believed it to be satire, now it is absolutely real.

it is invasive and sinister.

Yes what was ... Bobs your uncle now is Fanny's your aunt.

More to the point maybe... Fanny's your uncle and Bob's your aunt?

I'm not a politician, so I don't need to be politically correct. And for the politicians who've gone along with this kerrap over the years, Politically Corrupt might be a better title.

Edited by termin8r

As a white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, heterosexual, male, previously employed, pensioner I feel that I'm the minority in what was my own country.

Oh, sorry, I'm not allowed to say that, am I?

You forgot to add 'English'.....ooh sorry that should be British.

In my previous life I worked in Local Government and we were regularly sent on "training" to ensure we didn't upset anyone!

LGBT training

Diversity training (no dancing there)

How we should respect travellers and their lifestyle

Ageist awareness

Minority awareness

Disability, religious diversity etc

Now I'm all for live and let live but most of this was more like indoctrination! God forbid if you wore a frown!

Unfortunately the PC brigade have taken over even on here!

******** Snowflakes! (I presume that isn't banned YET)

I endured the same when I was working in the police. The reason why this training takes place is for one reason only;- to reduce the risk of the gaffers being accused of being racist / homophobic / sexist / etc / etc They are scared to death of having their promotion chances ruined by a complaint from a minority and being branded an '-ist'

Nothing to do with the feelings of the minority. They often laugh about it, but it is all about self preservation of the top wallahs in local government,

You forgot to add 'English'.....ooh sorry that should be British.

You're right, I did. Mea culpa.

No, you were correct the first time! :yes:

:good:

Then why on most forms do they only give you one option 'British' my wife refuses to fill this in, she usually puts a cross through it and writes 'English'

:good:

And so do I.

Me too.

Nope and I can't write "freak" with an "ing" on the end!! Is it a naughty word?

But you can write he or she, for now.

As ambivalent about Brexit as I may be, I do fear it will encourage these extreme liberal types to try and mould the country. I have a distant associate who is a militant vegan who vehemently believes that with Brussles no longer such an influence they will have more chance of advancing crazy lefty policy.

But you can write he or she, for now.

As ambivalent about Brexit as I may be, I do fear it will encourage these extreme liberal types to try and mould the country. I have a distant associate who is a militant vegan who vehemently believes that with Brussles no longer such an influence they will have more chance of advancing crazy lefty policy.

Really? I bet they didn't vote for it though! Probably another Remoaner scare story or just too many mushrooms!

As a white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, heterosexual, male, previously employed, pensioner I feel that I'm the minority in what was my own country.

Oh, sorry, I'm not allowed to say that, am I?

Oh you precious snowflake. I don't think there has ever been a majority of people here fitting into all of those categories.

Oh you precious snowflake. I don't think there has ever been a majority of people here fitting into all of those categories.

White, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Protestant, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Heterosexual, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Male, prior to 2000, 50% of the population.

Employed, throughout modern history, a very large percentage of the population (no, I don't know the exact figures, do you?).

Pensioner, currently an ever increasing percentage of the population (no I don't know the exact figure, do you?).

So, now who's the "precious snowflake"?

A vegan who's in favour of Brussels not being in charge? Sorry, that just appealed to me.

No, as I've said before, without the lunatic European imposed laws we can go back to being British and telling it like it is.

White, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Protestant, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Heterosexual, prior to WWII, most of the population.

Male, prior to 2000, 50% of the population.

Employed, throughout modern history, a very large percentage of the population (no, I don't know the exact figures, do you?).

Pensioner, currently an ever increasing percentage of the population (no I don't know the exact figure, do you?).

So, now who's the "precious snowflake"?

Not me.

Fortunately pensioners have never been a majority, I believe it is about 18% 65 or older.

The majority of the population is still white and British (by quite some margin).

I just find it odd that people are so sensitive as to need to be surrounded by people that look like them. Strikes me as rather precious.

Could not believe reading today where some woman has been jumping up and down from her soap box complaining about the police use of the word 'chubby'. Apparently a lady had gone missing and police put out a description, part of which said she was of 'chubby' build. The woman said they should have said 'medium'......you could not make it up. To my mind 'chubby' is very specific, as 'obese' would be, or simply 'fat'.

Really? I bet they didn't vote for it though! Probably another Remoaner scare story or just too many mushrooms!

This lunatic was out campaigning like the best of them.

To be fair most people I met campaigning one way or the other had one or another very specific cause that seemed to motivate them, and then decided the incredibly murky uncertain middle ground fell the way they wanted it to.

I was pretty torn 50:50 between remain and leave. Me and the other half decided one would vote each way as it seems the rest of the country also did.