Caesar Guerini

unico1

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the above, either Maxim, Essex or Summit Ascent or though the latter seem to be high rib, would that gun be more suited to trap shooting? All in 12 bore. Early days but seems a lot of gun for the money compared to other Italian guns. Any thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv never handled one, however Iv been reading up on them whilst looking for a new gun.

They look to me like a nicer finished/grade run of the mill Italian O/U

You know they fausti, F.A.I.R, or rizzini type.

The ones Iv shot of that type seem to have an irritating vibration.

Supposed to handle very well though.

Very happy with mine.

Had an Invictus Impact for about 12 months now and really please with it.

You will likely get all manner of replies to this, some who like them, some who don't....but since I took up shooting 7 years ago I've been through most brands and I've been really impressed with their balance of quality and value for money.

My Invictus is a heavy gun, over 9lbs buts it's so smooth to shoot and hasn't missed a beat. I won't name names but I've had no end of bother with another 'top brand', across several different guns which has really put me off.

Only my opinion of course...

I'm also a bit 'sold' the guerini. Bought an Invictus Five a few months ago, and it shoots wonderfully -- and it looks fantastic -- definitely a gun that would cost 2 grand more in the other major 'brands', and I got to go and choose the wood myself too...

I was so pleased we went straight to SG when my wife needed a new gun, and got her a Magnus Syren -- pretty much almost as good as mine; she went straight from wincing at 24g carts to shooting 30g game loads without even noticing, and that's something I noticed with the SGs -- they handle recoil *very* well.

So my only 'down' do far really is that mine is not 3" chamber (but to be fair, it IS a clay gun) and the chrome tubes are a BEEEPPP to clean, as it seems, they all are. However so far, my gun has seen 'weather' and it's fine. It did pick a couple of small marks on the stock after a few thousands of carts, but all my fault.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy one of their game gun too, the Ellipse Curve is pretty high on the list. Was drooling over @silverpigeon69 's yesterday, shouldered it and it just 'fit' like the other ones.

_1010224.jpg

The Summit, Essex, Magnus, Challenger, Maxum on up etc., are all the same apart from the cosmetics. They are all available with a standard rib or in Ascent version with fixed mid rib or Impact which has an adjustable high rib. The Invictus models have changes to the action design to allow some additional replaceable parts. CG claims they're good for 1 million rounds and they too are available in all 3 configurations described above.

CGs are in a totally different league than the E Rizzini, Sabatti, Bettinsoli level guns although they have some design similarities. You'll be hard pressed to find an unhappy CG owner or one who's had poor treatment from Anglo Italian, the distributors.

I've had a CG Challenger for about 2 trouble free years now after having 3 O/Us from the most popular Italian maker and there is no aspect to my CG that isn't better built, better finished, better equipped and smoother to operate.

Interesting information thanks. Would you say the high rib guns are more suited to trap discipline's?. I mainly shoot sporting.

I got to try the 'ascent' high rib ones, and personally, I didn't like it. As much as I could should everything straight of the bat with the standard sportster, I didn't 'feel' the high rib. But apparently, lots of trap shooters swear by them! The rest of the range of sportster/game guerinis seems to fit me like a glove, they are all very similar as mentioned previously.

From another side if that helps, I'm a little bit 'high' on the SG, definitely not a 'flat' rib and in comparison, I can't even shoulder a Beretta as I always feel I'm too 'low' on them (in fact, often, under the rib).

Not very helpful information I'm afraid, but I'd suggest finding a stockist and have a play.

And if you decide to buy, if you're not too far from Birmingham, if you ask nicely you might get to visit the warehouse and just pick your own gun from there...

My 32" Invictus has the adjustable hi-rib and I only shoot sporting. Its totally adjustable so you can make it shoot hi or low depending on your style or discipline, but I have mine set flat.

I've used it for a year and I do like the slightly more upright head position it allows....I've played around with a few standard rib guns over the last year but when I shoot one now it feels 'cramped up' somehow.

Another thing to mention is the service from the distributor Anglo Italian.....I'm just an average shooter, but when I bought mine I wanted some guidance on setting it up...I called Anglo and they invited me over, spent a good hour or so with me, helped set the gun up and even gave me a Guerini vest. Amazing customer service from which the big boys could learn a thing or two.

I really fancy one of the new Invictus Super Sports....they've only just come out, fixed choke sporter with a tapered rib....I had a swing of Nick Hendricks a few weeks ago and it was lovely......

I'm not a fan boy, but believe in giving credit where it's due.

Edited by Iggy

Any preference on length? Few I was looking at were 32 inch plus extended chokes knocking on 34 inch, not that really bothers me, not going to be swinging it around in a pigeon hide!!

It was suggested to me that I'd pick the 32"'s when I bought mine, but instead I went for the 30" with flush chokes. I know it's not 'trendy' but I see gun barrels length as a bit of a trend anyway; and flush chokes makes the gun looks nicer, especially since I don't change chokes at every stands (and I've seen some people do!).

On the other hand I can take mine on a game day and nobody will notice the flash knobs at the front :-)

I have the 32" Invictus Ascent and it is a superb sporting gun, I never shoot trap only sporting, compak or fitasc.

Obviously gun fit is unique to any individual and what is good for one person might not suit another, but the ascent mid height rib offers a slightly more heads up shooting position that I find much more preferable.

If you have the opportunity try out a few and see what works for you best.

I really fancy one of the new Invictus Super Sports....they've only just come out, fixed choke sporter with a tapered rib....

They must read PigeonWatch because that's what I recommended as part of the minor alterations to make the Invictus a truly great gun :yes: I also recall saying the grip profile needed lengthening which in the photo's it appears to have been done. I'm sure a small cheque is in the post. :lol:

Shoot a 725 alongside a CG at the same targets and my £5 says you'll choose the CG.

+1

I chose a CG Magnus as an upgrade to my B725 sporter. The CG is a much better gun in my opinion. The action was always too stiff to open, and it had to go back to Browning once to get it sorted. Also when I shot the B725, I always used to get a weird vibe through the stock, which is totally absent from my CG..